PDA

View Full Version : Modelling Artillery crewman?

Harley
04-02-2014, 08:52 AM
In the case of some Artillery like Sabre Weapon platforms, the model comes with a Crewman who is a part of the model, actively manning the Artillery but the unit says it comes with a single Crewman per Platform. I assume this Crewman is separate and needs to be based on a standard 28mm round base since as I understand the Artillery rules, a Platform cannot fire on it's own?

In this case, if I upgrade with an additional Crewman, I then need to base another 28mm guardsman separately?

If this is true, then what is the point of having a human figure firing the gun, other than aesthetic purposes? I had considered putting 2 Guardsmen on the Platform, magnetized, to represent the 2 wounds per Platform, but it seems like misrepresentation since they are not the ones actually firing the gun.

DWest
04-02-2014, 02:13 PM
I think you could leave the 1 guy on the gun, as if the last crewman dies, the gun goes away as well. Additional crew should have their own bases though.

Harley
04-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Ahh, good point! It doesn't matter if he is modelled separately because once he's gone, the unit is gone! Seems strange though for number of wounds from Templates/Blasts.

Thanks!

Asuryan
04-02-2014, 07:34 PM
the eldar support weapon models come with one guy firing and an extra model that can be placed on the model or on a provided base. I thought that the model looks cooler with both guardians on it, but when i field them i tend to have a guardian out front as an extra wound to take advantage of the toughness 7 and usually the 4+ cover from the adl. I always make sure my opponent knows how many crew members and artillery models the squad has and count any template or blasts that cover any part of the artillery as 2 hits (unless i am not using the guardian shield then i count 3 hits) to even things out.

Tudd Fudders
04-03-2014, 02:57 AM
I play with 6 sabres myself and you just take the wounds directionally.

If the shots or blast hole come from behind where the crewman is positioned on the gun, then when he dies the whole thing is remove.

If the gun is destroyed, but the crewman is alive, just take a normal guards and put it in the sabres place. Tournament wise, they will want you to always keep the crew on separate bases, but for normal games it doesn't matter really. If you purchase additional crewmen just use a seperate guy within coherency.

I find there is little reason to have the crewmen infront of the guns anyways considering how tough they are to begin with. Only makes assaults to the guns easier anyways.

Harley
04-03-2014, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

Tudd, how are those Sabers working out for you? I've been getting really frustrated by Flyers lately, especially Heldrakes and am looking at running getting 6 of these with Lascannons. Seems like they would be really tough to kill up on a Skyshield Landing Pad.

Also, would be a audacious combo to attach a Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor with a Psyocculum to make them BS10 when firing at Psykers such as those pesky Flying Daemon Princes.

Tudd Fudders
04-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

Tudd, how are those Sabers working out for you? I've been getting really frustrated by Flyers lately, especially Heldrakes and am looking at running getting 6 of these with Lascannons. Seems like they would be really tough to kill up on a Skyshield Landing Pad.

Also, would be a audacious combo to attach a Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor with a Psyocculum to make them BS10 when firing at Psykers such as those pesky Flying Daemon Princes.

I field 6 of these as part of my ultimate list. You can take them separately as groups of 5, so for me that is a group of 2, and the rest by themselves. Normally, I put 3 on top a skyshield infront of my ABG beast Hunter tanks and Thudd Guns, with Coteaz and his cohort offering anti deep strike infront.

Old picture of what I do for example,

http://postimg.org/image/6t0d8jx8f/

The rest of the saber platforms I put on the map depending on if I need one to hold down a objective or hide in ruins etc.

Overall the effectiveness and efficiency for points is undeniably the best skyfire/interceptor unit in the game. With 5 separate groups you can shoot them individually till the object (like a heldrake) dies and use the others on something else. This also means you force 5 grounding checks with them alone on FMCs. Opponents will waste tons of shots into them and have to destroy them 1 by 1 except for the unit of two. Their bad leadership and poor assault capabilities are remedied by Lord Commissars, Commissar tank, or even inquisition. Don't forget to bubble wrap with that infantry platoon you bought. 6 interceptor/skyfire lascannons almost always guarantees a AV12 flier's death or lethal hit.

As for the inquisitor with Psyocculum, you won't really need it with the amount of grounding checks your forcing and lascannons you will have. I find having a xenos inqusitor with rad/psychotroke grenade combo makes the Infratry platoon dangerous in close combat. Also casting prescience from him and coteaz is amazing.

In fun games the sabre platforms are great and still fun to take. My opponents hate them, but they are only really unbalanced when you do the setup I do, and that's just a mess of other imbalances on imbalances. I only take that list when the opponent is ok with it. Prescienced Thudd Guns and Insta-death Beasthunter BS4 Co-Axial TL Leman Russes are evil for alot of lists. Don't forget the occasional Vendetta with veterans, marbo, and servo skulls that really synergize with the list.

Check on ebay, I got my 6 Sabres for $10 a piece free shipping.

Harley
04-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Awesome thank you! Noticed they are low on stock on eBay currently, hopefully they make more soon.

Now the only dilemma is getting that extremely expensive Imperial Armour 2 Second Edition book. $100 on a book just seems crazy.

Tudd Fudders
04-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Awesome thank you! Noticed they are low on stock on eBay currently, hopefully they make more soon.

Now the only dilemma is getting that extremely expensive Imperial Armour 2 Second Edition book. $100 on a book just seems crazy.

Yah....... It hurts.