PDA

View Full Version : Tactics? Rearding Combat Squads and special weapons.

Steel-W0LF
04-02-2014, 01:42 AM
My conundrum:
I'm playing Ravenwing (Pure), and will be fielding 2 full Biker Squads. Each squad will take 2 Melta guns.

I'm trying to decide if I want to Combat squad, and put 1 melta in each, or both in one combat squad, or not combat squad so there are more wounds to chew through before they get to my anti tank.

This will be for the upcoming Feast of Blades tourney, so modifying my list is not an option. Though I think combat squading is decided before each game.

Brief list for reference:

HQ:
Sammael
4 Bike Command squad w/ Dakka Banner, and Apothicary

Fast:
5 Bike Black Knights
6 Bike Black Knights
1 Land Speeder Darkshroud

Troops:
2 squads as above w/ attack bike with a multimelta

This list suffers against fliers, but the DA Fighter is pretty "meh....". The only real thing I've been considering is dropping the 6 man BK squad, and taking a 3rd Normal squad exactly as the other 2 with an attack bike too. But I supose the option of dropping 4 BK bikes and taking the jetfighter is an option, it just doesnt seem to be worth its points.

Wolfshade
04-02-2014, 01:47 AM
If you split your special weapons off into one squad then that squad can focus on it's job, tank hunting more effectively than if you then have half the number of special weapons.
It also frees up the other half without to go infantry hunting

DarkLink
04-02-2014, 01:48 AM
It all depends on what you're facing. You don't have to decide until you actually place models on the table. Some games you want to keep them together, sometimes you want to split them up.

Steel-W0LF
04-02-2014, 02:09 AM
If you split your special weapons off into one squad then that squad can focus on it's job, tank hunting more effectively than if you then have half the number of special weapons.
It also frees up the other half without to go infantry hunting

I agree with this major upside. Its a huge plus.

The major down side is that 2 special weapons in a 3 model unit will mean if they get looked at cross eyed special weapons will start being removed.

Its kinda a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing I think.

- - - Updated - - -

It all depends on what you're facing. You don't have to decide until you actually place models on the table. Some games you want to keep them together, sometimes you want to split them up.

Yeah over the coming months I am going to try it both ways a few times just so I can see which suits my deployment/playstyle better.

My pnly gripe about Ravenwing so far is going first is hugely important. Your defenses are not optimal if you go second, and every model lost is losing the firepower of 4 marines.

Wolfshade
04-02-2014, 02:09 AM
Yes combat squadding si a quick way to kill off units for the most part.

Anggul
04-02-2014, 02:42 AM
Ravenwing Command Squads can only ever have 3 guys. I'm not sure why either, but that's how it is. Probably better off taking Black Knights or more standard Ravenwing, seems like 3 guys will be too easy to kill even with the Apothecary.

Tushan
04-02-2014, 04:18 AM
Ravenwing Command Squads can only ever have 3 guys. I'm not sure why either, but that's how it is. Probably better off taking Black Knights or more standard Ravenwing, seems like 3 guys will be too easy to kill even with the Apothecary.

That was a misprint and amended in the FAQ as well as updated in the digital codex to add the option to add upto 2 additional members for 40 points each

Anggul
04-02-2014, 05:08 AM
That was a misprint and amended in the FAQ as well as updated in the digital codex to add the option to add upto 2 additional members for 40 points each

Oh good, I'm glad. The local guy who uses Sammael will be pleased to know that.

SON OF ROMULOUS
04-04-2014, 03:32 PM
For me combat squads have always been a strong way to get more scoring units in a marine army and hey have also been very good at allowing me to run units more points effictively. yes those biker units are smaller but honestly they are still T5 and have a 3+ For me i've never had a time when i didn't go oh i should have kept those guys together. the ability to have your sgt running one squad kitted to either kill tanks or plasma and having the remainder of the unit to bolter infantry to death. it's just an instant force multiplier and honestly it makes it harder for your opponent to pin you down.