PDA

View Full Version : Best way to run a Marine Tactical Squad?

Papa Nurgle
01-02-2010, 08:20 PM
I've tried different builds for my tactical squads and I'm not really thrilled with any of them...I was wondering if anyone had some advice?

Thanks!

RocketRollRebel
01-02-2010, 10:09 PM
For my BA I just roll Power Fist, Melta maybe a ML and overcharged engines rhino.

Vanilla marines I like the idea of fist, melta, ml, maybe a combi-melta, and a rhino.

Melissia
01-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Paperweights.

tjkopena
01-02-2010, 11:03 PM
I usually run three tactical squads through a pretty broad spectrum of points. This is my usual loadout, which is pretty basic:

Tac 1: Powerfist w/ Boltgun, Plasmagun, Missile Launcher, Drop Pod

Tac 2: Chainsword, Flamer, Missile Launcher, Rhino

Tac 3: Chainsword, Meltagun, Missile Launcher, Razorback

Tac 1 drops on top of objectives or important areas, following in some Sternguard also in a pod. The Powerfist is not always useful, but I wound up in too many combats against Greater Demons, the Nightbringer, and so on where the squad literally had no chance to hurt the opponent, so I had to start taking it. I take a plasmagun rather than a meltagun mostly for aesthetics, but the tactical rational is that Tac 1 is almost always coming down alongside my Sternguard. The Sternguard in turn usually clear off any nearby vehicles with their combi-meltas, so the meltagun has limited opportunity to fill that role, while the extra range on the plasma gun is nice given the squad's mobility limited once the immediate drop is resolved. The rapid fire plasma is also nice in my Chaos Marine heavy target environment.

Tac 2 Usually either camps a home objective or advances to support the Sternguard and Tac 1 on a forward objective, depending on how many objectives there are, etc. I don't usually purchase a meltagun for it because the squad hardly ever gets in range to really use it, or even out of the Rhino, but the flamer comes in handy just often enough to keep it around given that it's free.

Tac 3 almost always combat squads, with the missile launcher sitting on a home objective while the other half moves in the Razorback to support either the offense or defense as needed. I'm considering dropping the missile launcher in Tac 3 for a plasma cannon, since it almost always just sits there so it gets off a fair number of shots, and they're just 5 points.

No rocket science, but this has worked pretty well for me. What sort of problems are you (the OP) having? I think the thing about Tac Marines is that they're neither awesome nor terrible at any given thing. There's not a ton you can do to beef up a single squad, without dumping a lot of points into a unit that can get wiped out pretty easily if things go bad. Instead you need to use those points to support with other squads and supporting units. One Tac squad is ok. Two can accomplish a lot. One with some Sternguard can do a lot, as can one backed up by a couple Predators, etc...

Sangre
01-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Paperweights.

Crushing puny Sisters.

Lerra
01-03-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm not a huge fan of tactical squads in general. They just don't work with some players' playstyles. If they aren't working for you, you could always try scouts, scoring sternguard, or scoring space marine bikes. Or try codex:space wolves for scoring terminators.

DarkLink
01-03-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm not a huge fan of tactical squads in general. They just don't work with some players' playstyles. If they aren't working for you, you could always try scouts, scoring sternguard, or scoring space marine bikes. Or try codex:space wolves for scoring terminators.

I never figured out how to use them. They're too static and inflexible.

Aldramelech
01-03-2010, 03:06 AM
Goodbye

Old_Paladin
01-03-2010, 09:09 AM
First we had Benifer, then we had Brangilina. Now we have Sangissia! Are you two planning on adopting?

Zing!

Sangre
01-03-2010, 09:19 AM
First we had Benifer, then we had Brangilina. Now we have Sangissia! Are you two planning on adopting?

I hope you're not implying that I'm not a man. I'm so fertile that my vitriol alone has made Melissia conceive.

zealot
01-03-2010, 10:09 AM
I hope you're not implying that I'm not a man. I'm so fertile that my vitriol alone has made Melissia conceive.

You proved you're one there by even thinking your manliness was in question.

Sangre
01-03-2010, 11:12 AM
I am, after all, the British Sex Knight of the Bell of Lost Souls.

Brosef Stalin
01-03-2010, 12:42 PM
I am, after all, the British Sex Knight of the Bell of Lost Souls.

This thread took an interesting turn.

therealjohnny5
01-03-2010, 05:00 PM
the places this crew treads tend to do that. lol:p

Melissia
01-03-2010, 06:10 PM
You're a man? I thought you were a hermaphroditic goat who likes to hump couches.

Sangre
01-03-2010, 07:08 PM
You're a man? I thought you were a hermaphroditic goat who likes to hump couches.

Say what you like, I know you're madly in love with me. Everyone else can see it.

Melissia
01-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I'd rather become a nun. So let's get back on topic shall we?

RocketRollRebel
01-03-2010, 07:46 PM
I never figured out how to use them. They're too static and inflexible.

Thats why I think that they need a transport to really get awesome. They arnt quite the end all be all that the fluff makes them out to be but they are certainly essential. I like to think that 3 is a good number for tac squads.

DarkLink
01-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Thats why I think that they need a transport to really get awesome. They arnt quite the end all be all that the fluff makes them out to be but they are certainly essential. I like to think that 3 is a good number for tac squads.

Even with a transport, they just can't touch the flexibility of a squad of Grey Knights in a Land Raider. It's got AT, AI, mobility, durability, good CC...

Melissia
01-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Nor SHOULD they, given the price that you spend for a squad of GK in a land raider.

A Marine squad might cost 205 points with a transport. The Grey Knights Squad would cost closer to 600.

Duke
01-03-2010, 10:05 PM
I use the following:
power weapon
melta gun
multi melta
razorback with tl hvy bolters

for my play style it works quite well. Though I have thought of a combi flamer or a combi plas for more flexibility

mysterex
01-03-2010, 11:41 PM
I use the following:
power weapon
melta gun
multi melta
razorback with tl hvy bolters

for my play style it works quite well. Though I have thought of a combi flamer or a combi plas for more flexibility

I'm not sold on taking a razorbank with a 10 model squad - I don't want to be forced into using combat squads in kill point games. I also prefer to get the benefit of the free/pre-paid special and heavy weapon. and so don't run Tactical squads in anything other than 10 models.

In terms of upgrades:

I virtually never get to fire a Tactical Squad's heavy weapon during a game - I tend to move. I would take one that doesn't cost anything extra, typically a missile launcher as if I did stay still to shoot it would be to "pop" a vehicle at range.
I don't think single flamers are particularly useful, they need to be massed. I go plasma or melta for the special weapon.
For the sergeant take your pick, power fist and a combi weapon of the same type as the special weapon work well but too many can be expensive, so simply a power weapon or chain sword may be a better option depending on what armies you encounter locally.

Finally, you probably want a transport vehicle available for each unit. I use rhinos supported by a redeemer.

DarkLink
01-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Nor SHOULD they, given the price that you spend for a squad of GK in a land raider.

A Marine squad might cost 205 points with a transport. The Grey Knights Squad would cost closer to 600.

Well, they shouldn't have the damage output or durability at least. As I run it, it's a 500pt unit exactly.It works amazingly, especially with GK Terminators. Unfortunately, we don't have enough other good units to support the squad in the Land Raider. Melta is just too common nowadays.

Aldramelech
01-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Goodbye

Melissia
01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Well, they shouldn't have the damage output or durability at least. As I run it, it's a 500pt unit exactly.It works amazingly, especially with GK Terminators. Unfortunately, we don't have enough other good units to support the squad in the Land Raider. Melta is just too common nowadays.

That's because Grey Knights don't HAVE any other units to support the land raider squad. Or the points to purchase them.

DarkLink
01-04-2010, 09:43 PM
That's because Grey Knights don't HAVE any other units to support the land raider squad. Or the points to purchase them.

Yeah, that's the problem with our codex. If you take a squad of Grey Knights, you need a Land Raider to make full use of them. And you need two troops and an HQ, so if you take two Grey Knight squads and a Terminator squad, that's a 1500pt army. And you just ran out of slots to take more Land Raiders, so you can't go any bigger. And 3 LR armies aren't really viable without support units, due to how common melta is. And the only decent support units that Grey Knights get are IST's, allied Sisters and IG. And Sisters are great, but work much better when you have lots of units of Sisters. And so on and so forth...

imperialsavant
01-04-2010, 11:35 PM
I've tried different builds for my tactical squads and I'm not really thrilled with any of them...I was wondering if anyone had some advice?

Thanks!

Well as a Black Templar player I have the C/C units with Chainswords & Bolt Pistols with a Powersword or Fist & some Assault weapons. E.g. Flamer, Plasma Gun, Melta then my Support squads have Bolters & ranged weapons e.g. Lascannons, Plasma cannons, M/Launchers or Heavy Bolters.
Depends what roll you see for your Marines as you can have dedicated HS squads (Devistators) :cool:

imperialsavant
01-04-2010, 11:40 PM
I'd rather become a nun. So let's get back on topic shall we?

:eek: Your NOT?? How can that be??? Melissa the Battle Sister!:)

Enough! I am off to the Templars Chapel to flagellate!

Duke
01-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Melissia and her Flamer
Sangre and his Power weapon
Duke can drive ;)

Wait, the Black rage crazed guy is driving? Sweet!

imperialsavant
01-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Wait, the Black rage crazed guy is driving? Sweet!

:D No, No ! You need Jurgen to Drive. Jurgen is Awesome--NOBODY drives like Jurgen!
errr unless it some crazy Khorn Berzerker or a Ork Speed Freak.
But MY money is still on Jurgen!:p

FortheEmperor!
01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
I don't think single flamers are particularly useful, they need to be massed. I disagree with this statement. A single flamer is a great addition to a tactical squad. A bolter can hit no more than 2 enemy models, yet a flamer requires no roll to hit, and I usually get 3 minimum, but have gotten up to 8 models before. Reliably I get about 5 hits from that one weapon. Of course it's range is limited to about 8 inches, but for a free weapon, one single flamer is a great weapon in a tactical squad in my opinion...

DarkLink
01-06-2010, 08:03 PM
I disagree with this statement. A single flamer is a great addition to a tactical squad. A bolter can hit no more than 2 enemy models, yet a flamer requires no roll to hit, and I usually get 3 minimum, but have gotten up to 8 models before. Reliably I get about 5 hits from that one weapon. Of course it's range is limited to about 8 inches, but for a free weapon, one single flamer is a great weapon in a tactical squad in my opinion...

I've cause over 30 hits on a single unit using a heavy flamer, flamer and combi-flamer. And since it was a Sisters of Battle squad shooting, I used a faith point to give it all pseudo-rending. Caused 5-6 AP1 wounds, and another 4-5 wounds from failed armor saves (on a squad of Necron Warriors).