PDA

View Full Version : Cost of a Living Tide

Gleipnir
03-28-2014, 10:45 PM
Anyone figured out the obligatory minimum point cost of a Living Tide with a Warlord(plus additional HQ)+ 2(4) Troops yet? I'm coming up with just shy of 3500 with bare minimum, at that point cost it almost may as well be Apocalypse

ChacoStylez
03-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Where I think it belongs, that rule would be too O.P. for a regular game of 40K.

Gleipnir
03-29-2014, 02:30 PM
most of the rules for a Living Tide could have easily been incorporated into a Tyrant Node with a points adjustment, and a better 5th formation under 1000 points could have been provided. Just feels like a missed opportunity to showcase a formation option including Old One Eye or the Swarmlord

Slinkyskink
03-29-2014, 03:40 PM
From looking at it long and hard, I have a niggling feeling the intention was probably for use in Apocalypse. Points cost and rules aside, This is part 3 of the invasion, the end of the planet, and maybe intended to be used for a large, concluding battle in a campaign. Or something...

jifel
03-29-2014, 04:09 PM
From looking at it long and hard, I have a niggling feeling the intention was probably for use in Apocalypse. Points cost and rules aside, This is part 3 of the invasion, the end of the planet, and maybe intended to be used for a large, concluding battle in a campaign. Or something...

We're uh forging a narrative, boys!

And to my best guess, it's 3095 points... Still too much, and it'll be so much more after the obligatory options. (Like guns for Tyrants, extra Venomthropes, bulked up troops, guns on Warriors, etc.)

daboarder
03-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Honestly.

These ones are a bit of a wash...I mean why are warriors compulsory all over the place?

John Bower
03-29-2014, 04:44 PM
Because you won't use them otherwise.....?

Gleipnir
03-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Honestly.

These ones are a bit of a wash...I mean why are warriors compulsory all over the place?

For myself its not the extra 90-100 points the Warrior tax imposes for the special rules that gets me its the need to go out and buy more Warriors at their current price, if I did want to use more than the 9 I already have. Though rerolling 1's To Wound with Warrior Boneswords on the Wrecker Node is a nice plus.

daboarder
03-29-2014, 06:46 PM
For myself its not the extra 90-100 points the Warrior tax imposes for the special rules that gets me its the need to go out and buy more Warriors at their current price, if I did want to use more than the 9 I already have. Though rerolling 1's To Wound with Warrior Boneswords on the Wrecker Node is a nice plus.

A brood of zoans would have suited the wrecker brrod so much better

Gleipnir
03-29-2014, 07:37 PM
A brood of zoans would have suited the wrecker brrod so much better

If you meant the Bioblast Node, I couldn't agree with you more.

daboarder
03-29-2014, 08:50 PM
If you meant the Bioblast Node, I couldn't agree with you more.

Theyd fit the wrecker better too.

Zoans pop a target and the fexes munch it

Slinkyskink
03-30-2014, 08:11 AM
Theyd fit the wrecker better too.

Zoans pop a target and the fexes munch it

Yes, it makes more sense as the formation is intended as living artillery battery. You, know, Warp lances, bio plasmic wotsit and the Rupture Cannon. Warriors are synapse but so are chuff in' Zoans.

EDIT; sorry that was meant to be about your thoughts on the bioblast lol

fraziersm
03-31-2014, 02:52 PM
saturday i sat down with my codex, my calculator and my dataslates. i calculated it to be around 3011 points w/o any upgrades not needed to field the formation.