PDA

View Full Version : Bonds of Ta'lissera [40K Fan Story]

Katharon
03-21-2014, 07:36 AM
Author's note: So, here is my latest story/brain storm that has developed over the last few weeks. Part of the reason I've decided to write this story is because I recently began collecting a Tau Empire army, in particular a Farsight Enclaves army. I had also finally got around to reading the latest Commissar Cain book, which involved some of the first interaction between an Imperial and a gue'vesa -- or a human who has grown up under the Tau Empire and serves that empire's interests. I'm not sure how long the story will go, as it is constantly developing. Comments and critiques are welcome.

Bonds of Ta'lissera

Chapter One

If it were not for his teachers instruction, Vior Devrae would not know that the world he lived upon had once been anything other than the verdant and bright Ka’ley’ath. For four generators as human lives are measured, Vior’s family had lived and prospered in service to the Greater Good, serving as all gue’vesa of the former Imperial world of Downholm did to the betterment of the Tau Empire. Vior felt little affinity for such history. His elder sister had already left their planet, having passed the necessary tests to become a ku’ten vos’kla and thereby leave Ka’ley’ath to help integrate other humans into the Tau Empire and to show them the way of serving and prospering beneath the guidance of the Greater Good. If he was being honest with himself, Vior was a little jealous of his elder sister Au’lys. She was talented and smart, the reason that the Ethereal elders that oversaw their world and her Water Caste teachers had singled her out for service as a facilitator. She had gotten to leave! Vior spent a great deal of his free time in the evenings laying upon the roof of his family domicile and looking at the stars. How dearly he wished to see them himself.

However, Vior had his problems. He was not yet eleven years of age before he had already received his first name. Although he would always carry his family’s old Imperial name, he would eventually receive a Tau-derived name. His name meant, in simplest terms, “hot” but was also the meaning for being “quick to temper.” His Tau and Gue’vesa teachers in the children’s schools found him easily frustrated and angered when he encountered a problem that he could not solve easily. He had been caught and punished a number of times for getting into fights with other students or trying to initiate such conflicts. Each time he had been taken aside and admonished the same way: “This does not advance the Greater Good. You must learn to control your anger or it will disturb others and make it harder for both you and them to serve the Greater Good, Vior Davrae.”

He tried. He really did. Even Vior’s father had taken time away from the drone manufactory plants to spend it with Vior, trying to speak with him and teach him patience. “You have to understand my son,” said Davrae senior, “We are all part of something bigger. We all have to work together in harmony to make life better for all. If we try to break that harmony, if we let ourselves be selfish, then the Greater Good will never become the strength of the universe. Each time you feel your anger rising, stop what you are doing and count to ten. When you finish the count, ask yourself one question: does this serve the Greater Good?”

Vior loved his father. Love and strong family bonds were a very ingrained human trait. The Tau, when they had settled upon and absorbed Ka’ley’ath into the Empire, had not tried to change this habit. If anything, they encouraged it. Aun’El Kais, the Ethereal who had overseen the colony for two and a half centuries had decreed: “Let the gue’vesa love as they are want; for the Greater Good should be beloved by all. Love in service to the Greater Good is no less honorable than any member of the Tau castes could emulate.” So Vior had taken his father’s words to heart and tried his best.

Within four years, when Vior reached the age of fifteen by Imperial reckoning, or sixteen Tau’cyr, Vior had reformed himself. Though he did not have his elder sister’s natural talent for languages – he could understand but only barely speak the Tau language – he had earned the acknowledgement of his teachers at the training schools. He worked hard to make up for his former lack of respect and had made amends with all the other children he had hurt. Just in time, it seemed, for the Tau’kon’she Festival.

The city was named J’karra, which in Gothic Vior knew to mean ‘mirror.’ It was aptly named. Much had changed in the three centuries since the Imperium of Man had once ruled upon Ka’ley’ath. The proto-hive city that had been growing like a pustule upon the edge of a sickening ocean had been reformed. The concrete and metal towers had been replaced with stronger but warmer materials. The sharp angles had been removed; the smooth lines and contours that Tau architects favored replaced them. The sides of each skyscraper had been given a shining mirror-like mantle, which Vior had learned were used to harness the energy from the nearby star that warmed the system. The city always shined brightest at dawn and dusk.

The city was divided into various sectors, each devoted to different facet of life serving the Greater Good. The north sector was filled with the churning and syncopated clank of Earth Caste factories, their steam-stacks pumping our sheets of white vapor that harmlessly evaporated into the atmosphere. A magnetic tram line ran from that sector and along a circular circuit around the city. Workers from the Earth Caste habitat sector, both Tau and Gue’vesa, traveled to and fro along its length each day.

The west sector, along the ocean, was a reworked spaceport. Its length extended over the water by the crafting of piers so that should any vessel crash or suffer heavy damage, it could safely be plunged into the water and thus buffers any explosions from the Air Caste workers there.

The east sector held the habitat sector, where all castes and citizens of J’karra lived. More esteemed members of society, such as Aun’el Kais, lived in floating islands that used anti-gravitic motors to remain suspended above the habitat towers. Normal worker families lived within shared units with other families. Citizens that had come of age were allowed to live within dormitories that were reserved for members of their chosen profession. Vior always made a habit of walking past the Fire Warriors Barracks, trying to catch a glimpse of one of those honored warriors. It was also here in the habitat sector that the schools and nurseries of the planet were maintained.

At the center of the habitat sector was a government office, called the Hall of Harmony, that dealt with the management of all necessary aspects of life within the city; such as waste disposal, new construction requests, birth and death registry, marriage registry, and food distribution. It was also the place where, each year, the young people of the city were given their assigned places within a certain caste for their life. It was a special day that would decide the future course of Vior’s life and was a joyous festival for the entire city. Tau’kon’she was a festival that no one wanted to miss!

Worker drones hummed through the air, some of them varying white and blue streamers while others bore signs declaring the time of festival events and locations. Large crystal vases had been set out, lining the streets, and filled with lush flowers from the southern forest, vibrant colors of yellow and red. Water Caste merchants had stalls set upon at intersections, all ground traffic reduced to being on foot, selling new pieces of technology developed by the Earth Caste and food fresh from bakeries and farms that surrounded the city. Humans, Tau, Vespids, and Demiurg – all races intermixed together as the air became palpable with charged excitement.

Vior walked through the crowds, trying to make sure his clothes did not become wrinkled, with a spring in his step. He was almost his father’s height now, at two tor’lek tall – or two meters, and could easily see over the squat forms of Demiurg or the more willowy Tau. His clothing was formal and a clean white, a robe made from silk imported from a primary sept world. The white was representative of Vior’s place in society, a young person who had not yet been presented with his destiny. Many of his fellow Humans, wearing the green and brown of Earth Caste factory workers, smiled and cheered at him as he passed. Today, they knew, was a great day for him and the Greater Good.

“Water fowl pastries from the Fio’tan ocean-farms!”

“Try this good sir! No being from the Air Caste can go without a taste of gue’vesa puffy candy!”

“New comm paddocks! New hologram spectrums! Get them here!”

Vior smiled to himself as he took a small treat from a Tau vendor handing out small balls of fried battered fish stuck on a stick. They were a favorite of the Tau and Gue’vesa alike, and Vior felt that he could indulge a little – although he had to make sure that none of the root sauce on it fell upon his robe. Music echoed along the mirror streets, joyful and uplifting.

Just as he finished the last bite of his snack, Vior heard the clarion call of the main administration building sound. It was a signal to all aspirants such as him to gather at the Hall of Harmony. The ceremony would begin soon. Throwing his trash away into a collection bin, Vior began jogging through the crowd towards his destination, unable to run because it was too crowded. He couldn’t be late, not today. Not on the most important day of his life and the one he’d been looking forward to for four years!

A pair of Water Caste workers turned a corner and appeared in front of Vior; both of their Tau eyes widened in surprise at the oncoming, rushing form of Vior. Vior couldn’t stop his forward momentum, so he changed his vector. The change caused him to become wrong-footed and he fell forward and smacked into the back of another Tau walking along the road. Instead of both beings going down in a heap as Vior would have expected, Vior found himself bounced back in a rough lesson in the Laws of Gravity. His face hurt from the impact and he fell backwards, roughly landing on his backside.

What did I hit?! It felt like I hit the side of a Hammerhead tank.

Vior looked up from the ground and found the towering form of a Tau Fire Warrior, fully armored except for his helm, standing over him. A white and red sash was tied around his chest and hung to his knee, a sign of an honored warrior. The fierce face was dark blue, almost black, and had an angry scar that ran down from his forehead to his chin. One eye was opaque, obviously another injury. The other, healthy, eye glared down at Vior. However, for all these details, it was only one thing that caught and held Vior’s attention. Hanging at the warrior’s side was a white-sheath that held a gold-hilted blade. Only one type of Fire Warrior was allowed to carry that kind of ornamented blade.

Vior jumped to his feet and bowed profusely. He was mumbling, panicked. “H-H-Honored Shas’nel, I am so very sorry! A thousand pardons. I did not mean--.”

The Cadre Fireblade cut him off. Instead of replying in T’au, he spoke Gothic. His accent was harsh instead of the usual lyrical lisp that most Tau had when speaking the Gue’la tongue.

“What did you think you were doing, running through this busy crowd like a flee-bitten U’it?” the Shas’nel said. Vior winced and tried to contain his anger at the word. U’it was the name given to a small domesticated animal that was similar to Old Gue’la dogs. They were often seen as bothersome pests.

“It was not my intent to cause harm,” replied Vior, keeping his calm. “I am simply trying to reach the Hall of Harmony.”

“And does it serve the Greater Good to have an aspirant rushing through the streets, heedless of his elders? What if you had hit those two merchants? I myself am angered at your lack of respect.”

“No, Shas’nel, it does not serve the Greater Good,” said Vior, grinding his teeth and keeping his eyes averted. “But I did not want to be late.”

“Always with you Gue’la it is something,” muttered the Cadre Fireblade. Their conversation was gathering a small crowd of onlookers, curious to see what was happening. Vior looked up sharply, angered now beyond his usual control.

“I am Gue’vesa, Shas’nel,” said Vior. “I am not a barbarian.”

“You could have fooled me,” the Fireblade said, looking Vior up and down like a man might inspect a side of meat in the market place.

“I will serve the Greater Good as my father and his father did before me,” stated Vior, straightening to his full height and almost staring the Fireblade at the same eye-level. As a Fire Warrior, the Fireblade had been bred for war and all such Tau were born to bloodlines that bred tall and powerful warriors. This particular Fireblade was unusually tall, even by the standards of the Fire Caste.

The Fireblade stared hard into Vior’s eyes for a moment. After a few heartbeats, during which time Vior felt sure that he would be punished, the Shas’nel nodded.

“You may yet prove to be of use to the Greater Good, Gue’vesa,” said the Shas’nel. “You prove that you are not afraid of declaring your place and firm desire to be a part of that greater whole – even though I insulted you. That is good. Now, move along and do not be late to the ceremony.”

Without another word the Shas’nel turned and disappeared. Vior thanked his luck and moved on, careful to not run again as he had before. In the aftershock of his surprise at almost running over a few other citizens and at having an actual conversation with a Fire Warrior – a Shas’nel no less! – Vior made his way to the Hall of Harmony.

Katharon
03-21-2014, 08:04 AM
Chapter Two

The Hall of Harmony was more beautiful than usual. It was mostly an open plaza that had an oval glass roof overhead. Pillars of sea-green stone stood at intervals, the cracks in their surface filled with gold so that even the imperfection of stone shone brightly to create a beautiful surface when looked at from afar. The usual desks and work stations that existed throughout was gone, stored elsewhere for the day. Instead a small stage had been prepared, a throne-like chair at its center. The crowd walked around this, cheering the wizened figure of Aun’el Kais who sat resplendently in repose – two of his ethereal guard standing wary at his side. Even in the center of a Tau city, on a Tau colony, during a festival the Ethereal Guard did not relax. Such was their duty and required devotion to the Greater Good.

Large prefabricated stands had been erected so that the citizens could sit and watch the proceedings. Drones hovered, transmitting images of the event to every available caster in the city. The glowing digital time piece that was attached to a nearby building overlooking the plaza struck mid-day and a thrilling cheer went through the crowd. Aun’el rose from his throne and spoke to the people, his speech being carried far and wide by camera drones. Vior and the other aspirants heard none of this. They were ensconced within a preparation chamber in a nearby building, waiting to be ordered into the plaza.

Vior stood next to two of his fellow aspirants. Both were human like him, as were the majority of those gathered. Most were lost in their own thoughts or taking turns to speak with the master of ceremonies who was walking down the lines and making sure that all was in order. The Caste Litigator appeared and began speaking to the assembled aspirants.

“You are all honored this day to be given a path to follow for the Greater Good. Enjoy this day and cherish it! You may request designation, your wishes will be considered alongside your record and aptitude tests, but do not expect that it will be carried through. The Greater Good demands that we submit ourselves to the will and need of the whole. What the individual might desire is nothing compared to the necessity of the Greater Good.”

There was a soft rumble of agreement throughout the gathered aspirants.
“So prepare yourselves and know that all gathered today honor you and take pride in your submission to the Greater Good.”

The group moved into a small partition area, one by one, to speak with the Caste Litigator. It was their final chance to speak of any fears, desires, or worries about their soon to be announced designation. Vior simply grinned at everything around him, taking in the feeling of excitement that welled up out of everyone. He wasn’t worried about his place within the Greater Good. That was something for others to worry about.

“You look confident, Vior,” said a voice behind him.

Vior turned to find his childhood friend, Tash Zinderman. Her name meant ‘bright’ in the Tau language, and Vior always felt that it suited her. The word could mean that a being was intelligent or particularly beautiful, two things which Vior had always considered Tash to be. Had he not been so set upon his chosen path, Vior might have decided to stay at home and one day married her.

“I’m always confident,” Vior replied.

“Full of yourself, more the like,” Tash smiled. “Not humble enough.”

“The Greater Good needs a being to be confident in their abilities.”

“I think you mistake pride for confidence,” riposted Tash.

Before he could think of a witty comeback, the partition door opened and an aide motioned for the next in line to enter. Vior was forced to give Tash a dirty look in response and hurry on, ignoring the look of playful laughter that filled his friend’s face at his expense.

The partition entrance closed behind him and the soft murmur of chatting disappeared. Vior found himself in a dim, pale-blue lit room. The Caste Litigator sat at a desk with several stacks of luminesce folders and a holo-screen in front of his face. Vior took the only empty seat in front of the desk and tried to not feel nervous.

“You are Gue’vesa Ka’ley’ath Vior Davrae, are you not?” asked the Litigator, not glancing up from his computer screen.

“Y-Yes, I am.”

“You have a most interesting file for one so young. Many infractions…”

“I was quite foolish in my younger days – as is easy to understand by my name.”

“Yes…Vior…”

“Um, sir, about my designation, I’d like to request – .”

“Hold your tongue for a moment, Vior. I must finish reviewing your file. The recommendations of your teachers, parental units, and companions are being noted. To fully serve the Greater Good and be placed in the appropriate place I need to know more about your personal history.”

Then just ask me! Vior thought. He was worried about what might be within those files.

The Litigator spent another minute reading speedily, and then closed down the holo-screen. The Tau crossed his three-fingers hands together, and gazed at Vior with consideration, seeming to study him no less thoroughly than Vior’s grandmother would a piece of newly bought fish for supper.

“Your father has served as a Kor'vesa Fio'kais'nel for forty tau’cyr. A respectable and honorable path to follow for the Greater Good…yet judging from the notes your teachers have given, you wish to follow a different path.”

“I wish to become a Shas’la,” said Vior, finally saying out loud what he had always desired. Then, remembering Tash’s words he added, “So that I may serve the Greater Good.”

“I am afraid that that is a path you may never walk, young one, much as you may desire it. To become even a gue’vesa’la, and join the human auxiliary forces of the Hunter Cadres, would not – I think – suit you. Your strength and attention to fine detail is well documented. Your Fio’tak instructor praised you much.”

Vior felt a growing dread as the conversation continued. To think his mechanics teacher would be his downfall.

“With these recommendations, your personal skills, and the fact that your father will soon be reaching the age at which he may respectfully retire with honor – it seems your path is clear. You shall become a skilled drone builder. The path of the Kor'vesa Fio'kais'nel is an honorable one. Now please proceed to the next staging area.”

Numb, Vior stood and left the room. He couldn’t think straight. All of his efforts, all of his desires, wasted! In the space of a single sentence he had been condemned to the same position and life that was his father’s. Content as his father might be with his place in the Greater Good, Vior knew that it was not his. He would not find contentment.

Moving like a mechanical drone, he experienced the rest of the ceremony like it was a dream. Everything seemed to be slowed. The cries of the crowd and the pronouncement by Aun’el Kais were quiet, muted. First, the name of each caste was called: Shas, Fio, Kor, and Por. Fire, Earth, Air, and Water – aspirants stepping forward to receive the fio’dr of their assigned caste. When his assigned caste, Fio, was called Vior stepped forward and took the proffered uniform of an Earth Caste worker. The soft, light material felt like heavy chains around Vior’s wrists.

After the ceremony was complete, all the gathered citizens gave a final cheer and the aspirants were blessed by Aun’el Kais, urging them to act with honor and to follow the tenets of the Tau’va. The Greater Good, he said, demands it. The no-longer-aspirants left the plaza and the crowds dispersed. There was still some time before the initiation of the traditional Tau’kon’she hunt.

People gathered at the perimeter of the hunting ground that had been prepared. Large partition walls had been erected and sound dampeners had been deployed so that onlookers did not disturb the clonegrown animals, great predators that had been hunted to extinction on other planets of the Tau Empire by the ancient Hunter Cadres of the Fire Caste. Vior walked to one place along the wall where there were few spectators. An old man, wearing the uniform of a Water Caste merchant house, offered him a decanter of ky’husa. Vior refused the alcoholic drink. Even if he was depressed, he would not sink into a drunken stupor.

A hunting horn sounded to announce the start of the hunt. Vior sullenly put his head on his crossed arms and leaned against the wall. He watched as a team of lightly armed and armored shas’saal team members entered the arena and spread out. Unlike on older, traditional sept worlds where the hunt was conducted by veteran shas’ui, the Tau of Ka’ley’ath instead had their newest recruits hunt, led by a single shas’ui, so that the new blood could display the skill that had earned them the honor of becoming Shas’la.

The beasts that they were hunting this year were rather fierce looking. Hidden camera drones were deployed and showing spectators everything that was happening inside the arena. Vior watched as a few mal’caor filtered through the underbrush and trees. The gargantuan spiders had pincers capable of cutting a half-meter wide boaboa tree in half and could see in all spectrums. They had been fierce enemies at one point, incapable of understanding the Greater Good or being domesticated for use. As such, like anything that opposed the Tau’va, they were destroyed.

Tash appeared at his shoulder, laying a hand there in consolation. She knew, more than anyone else, how disappointing this day was for Vior.

“Maybe you could request an audience with the Shas’O of the barracks and be reconsidered?” Tash said, quietly.

“That would be impossible. Once you’re given your assignment, that’s it. Forever.” Vior looked out at the hunt happening below him, envying the Tau that were taking part. Gue’vesa were not allowed to be part of the hunt, even if they were recruited into the auxiliary ranks of the Gue’vesa’la. But to be a warrior was to be a warrior, regardless of whether you were Tau or Human, and that was all that Vior had dreamed of becoming.

“Then you must serve the Greater Good as best you can,” said Tash. “Sometimes we are tested, asked, to perform duties that we would otherwise not wish to do by the necessity of the Greater Good.”

“Easy for you to say,” remarked Vior, watching as a single Shas’saal broke off from his la’rua. Leaving his team wasn’t a wise move. He must have something to prove. “You’re being sent to the O’Vesa Academy, right?”

Tash blushed slightly. “Yes. I managed to get advanced marks in advanced mathematical hypotheses and quadratic spatial theory. I’ll be sent off world next month.” The way she said it made Vior knew that she too had had hopes for the pair of them. They’d always had a strong connection.

“You’ll be brilliant. I’m sure that you’ll help advance the technological edge of the Greater Good,” said Vior. “I’m sure that you…”

His words trailed off as Vior focused on what he was seeing. The lone shas’saal, fire warrior recruit, that had broken off from the main team was proceeding through the brush, obviously pent up with energy by his careless and impatient movements. So over-eager, it seemed, that Vior watched in mounting horror as a mal’caor stalked him from above, slinking from branch to branch – its ten spindly legs moving effortlessly across the spaces between trees.

Vior had to do something. He turned and ran towards an emergency arena hatch, pushing past Tash. “H-Hey! Vior! What are you doing?”

The hatch was only meant for emergencies. To open it, especially in the middle of the traditional hunt, was the kind of interfering sacrilege that any Tau would be disgusted by. Vior however didn't have time for any such cares. Damn it all, he was never going to be a warrior – but he'd be damned before he let a Fire Warrior be killed so carelessly. The hatch opened and a silent alarm went off somewhere.

“Vior!? Stop!” Tash tried to grab his arm, but Vior ducked inside and through the portal before she could.

Vior hit the grass floor of the arena hard; it had been a short drop from the emergency hatch. He caught his bearings in a flash and then darted into the bushes. The shas'saal had only been about ten meters from the wall when Vior had spotted the danger. If luck was on his side...

Vior burst through a bush and startled the shas'saal. The Tau turned and brought his pulse carbine up in a jerk, eyes wide in at the sudden surprise. Vior instinctively pushed his hands up to show he was harmless, then his own eyes grew wide. Behind and above both of them the mal’caor had raised up on its hind legs and prepared to pounce.

“No!” Vior shouted. Before the shas'saal knew what he meant, Vior had shouted in Gothic, the gue'vesa boy lunged forward and tackled the Tau shas'saal to the ground. The sound of a fierce animal shriek filled the air and the rush of passing wind was felt upon both of them, as the mal’caor missed them by inches. The spider hit the ground hard and rolled slightly, coming to a stop when it collided with a tree. It dizzily got back up on its talons, large insect eyes twitching.

Vior was on his feet before the Tau shas'saal. He grabbed the nearest thing that he could grab for a weapon: a branch. Knowing that he couldn't hold it off for long, Vior rushed the mal’caor and stabbed forwards. The broken edge of the branch managed to pierce the upper area of one of its forelegs. The mal’caor cried out in pain and shot its other legs out, pushing Vior to the ground. He landed badly, his head hitting a rock.

Darkness crowded into his vision and the sounds around him started to fade. The mal’caor grew larger as it rushed forward, its large pincers bared and its insect battle cry sounding in the air like the screeching of harpies.

Vior fell into blackness.

T-bud
04-09-2014, 04:05 AM
Katharon,

I enjoyed reading your story, you have a very descriptive writing style and I had a clear picture in my mind of the city surrounds and characters. By the end I was quiet invested. It reminded me of Gav Thorpe's last Chancers. I hope you continue the story.