PDA

View Full Version : Monstrous Creatures/Walkers and Ruins

solomonoftm
03-19-2014, 07:14 AM
Hey guys, my second post and I'm already asking something that's probably got a simple answer.

A few nights ago during a weekly game, we came across a rule conundrum. My knight had moved up into a smallish space with impassable terrain on one side and a two-story ruin on the other. The space was not wide enough for my base to pass through but only barely. The model itself would have been able to, but the width of the base kept it from doing so.

Two questions: Could my knight have moved through the ruin as we had agreed before hand that ruins would basically be area terrain?

The fly in the ointment in this, however, was that we agreed that he could have EXCEPT there were units occupying the second floor of the ruin. And that's the main question.

Can a Monstrous Creature or Walker move through the first floor of a ruin while units are occupying a higher floor?

I argued my super heavy could because the model itself would not be "going through" any of the units and visually, it would seem if anything his foot may have gone through a bit of the wall below the Ork Lootas. Though, because of its massive base, we could not come to an agreement. So, thought I'd bring it up here.

Thanks!

This Dave
03-19-2014, 08:01 AM
If the model would have fit then it could go. The base would only count if you ended the move with it within 1" of the enemy models.

Anakzar
03-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Since its a ground based troop it would have to stop when 1" from enemy troops just as any other ground based units have to. Jump, jet bikes, flyers etc. can pass over other models but have end up more than 1' away.

Nabterayl
03-19-2014, 01:25 PM
I agree with Anakzar. The rules don't say that only the base of the model must remain at least 1" away from enemy models. They say, rather:

A model cannot move within 1" of an enemy model.
To me, that indicates that the size and shape of the model itself are relevant, not just the footprint of the base. Thus, if a very tall model like a Knight would have to pass within 1" of an enemy model on the second story of a ruin, it can't do so - it would have to assault the unit in the way or go around.

daboarder
03-19-2014, 07:36 PM
I agree with Anakzar. The rules don't say that only the base of the model must remain at least 1" away from enemy models. They say, rather:

To me, that indicates that the size and shape of the model itself are relevant, not just the footprint of the base. Thus, if a very tall model like a Knight would have to pass within 1" of an enemy model on the second story of a ruin, it can't do so - it would have to assault the unit in the way or go around.

its really odd.

I agree with your assessment, furthermore when we look at the ruins rules we see that distance is measured from the closest point to the base when determining coherency, so yeah I'd say that the model counts for multiple levels.

Gleipnir
03-19-2014, 08:31 PM
The Basic Rules, the rules for Walkers and Monstrous Creatures and the rules for Ruins all consistently say you measure the distance between both units models from Base to Base, if the Walker is not mounted on a Base you measure from any part of the vehicles Hull to base.

So in answer to the OP question yes so long as the second floor is at least 1" above the ground floor a Walker on a base does not need to stop as your models base will never be closer than 1"

- - - Updated - - -

Incorrect see below.

Pg 4 Measuring distances, pg 84 Walkers and Measuring, pg 98 Coping with Different Heights.

daboarder
03-19-2014, 08:49 PM
ah yes, id forgotten they'd changed coherency in levels of a ruin to 6 in order to compensate for that

solomonoftm
03-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I'm sure I'll catch some flak next time this comes up, but I'll be ready!