PDA

View Full Version : =][= Needle Pistols in CC and rye rolls

Blood Shadow
03-19-2014, 04:42 AM
Just reading the Inquisitorial Dex (iBook version 1.1)

Needle pistols have poisoned

Pistols are close combat weapons (it specifically says this)

Poisoned CC weapons of the same strength or greater get to reroll to wound

So 1) would you get the 2+ to wound?
And 2) as it's str3 user (+ 1 with hammer hand) would you get rerolls vs T3 (T4)?

Now I'd always imagined that this would apply to shooting only, but....can't say why not?

ToHitMod
03-19-2014, 05:12 AM
Pistols count as a Close Combat Weapon, a Close Combat Weapon isn't Poisoned, Poisoned Close Combat Weapons are Poisoned.

akinghorn
03-19-2014, 05:52 AM
But if what he's saying is correct (I haven't read the 'dex), the pistol IS poisoned. Which would lead me to believe that it counts as poisoned in close combat as well. It would just be a matter of working out the rest and I haven't even finished reading the latest edition rules (recently returned to 40k from a 10+ year hiatus).

ToHitMod
03-19-2014, 06:06 AM
But if what he's saying is correct (I haven't read the 'dex), the pistol IS poisoned. Which would lead me to believe that it counts as poisoned in close combat as well. It would just be a matter of working out the rest and I haven't even finished reading the latest edition rules (recently returned to 40k from a 10+ year hiatus).

Unfortunetly, in the current edition, Pistols don't do anything in combat except act as a Close Combat Weapon, Plasma Pistols don't give you higher Strength, for example, no other rules from Pistols are passed on.

Tynskel
03-19-2014, 06:08 AM
Yeah, read pistol rules. Pistol = 2 dual pistols, and +1 Bonus attack if matched with second CC weapon. Nothing else. Unless the pistol explicitly states its profile may be used in CC, none of the bonus transfer to CC.

Blood Shadow
03-19-2014, 06:30 AM
OK...I get that and that's how I'd normally use it...however where does it say my pistol CCW that has the poisoned (2+) rule isn't carried over into CC? I mean is it a CCW.... yes, does it have the poisoned rule...yes.....is this as intended probably not.

Nefarius Drapesh
03-19-2014, 06:34 AM
if the assumption about poisoned pistols giving poisened usr in melee,too, was right... damn sweet think about the splinterpistols of hagashin :D

This Dave
03-19-2014, 07:58 AM
So by this logic if you use a Plasma Pistol in melee you have to roll for Gets Hot to see if you wound yourself?

Also, if this is the case why would Inquisitors ever buy that Poisoned blade weapon when just taking the Needle Pistol would also give the 2+ Poisoned roll?

ToHitMod
03-19-2014, 08:23 AM
Well, in its profile as a Pistol, it has the Poisoned (2+) rule, which means it is a Pistol and the Poisoned (2+) applies to its Shooting attack, because Pistols are Ranged Weapons.

Pistols also have the special rule that a model can use them as a Close Combat Weapon in Melee.

The Close Combat Weapon acts as a Close Combat Weapon, it doesn't have any other Special Rules

Nabterayl
03-19-2014, 08:42 AM
As page 51 says:

A pistol can be used as a close combat weapon. If this is done, use the profile given above - the Strength, AP and special rules of the pistol's Shooting profile are ignored (see page 52). (emphasis mine).

Aaron LeClair
03-19-2014, 10:15 AM
how sweet would it be is Infenro pistols where S8 ap1 when in close combat!

Wolfshade
03-19-2014, 10:17 AM
how sweet would it be is Infenro pistols where S8 ap1 when in close combat!

While fine on a small number, consider a large 30 man death company all armed with a varying array of different CC weapons and pistols and trying to calculate which one is best. Of course back in the rose-tinted 2nd ed we had exactly that.

But it would be neat, though I imagine if you could use pistols in CC then they might need to be re-pointed to adjust for their increased versatility.

ToHitMod
03-19-2014, 10:32 AM
While fine on a small number, consider a large 30 man death company all armed with a varying array of different CC weapons and pistols and trying to calculate which one is best. Of course back in the rose-tinted 2nd ed we had exactly that.

But it would be neat, though I imagine if you could use pistols in CC then they might need to be re-pointed to adjust for their increased versatility.

Death Company in 2nd were a hot mess, hand flamers, plasma pistols, power axes and power fists all over the place, it was a nightmare to work out combat, but golly it was fun, plus they counted as Troops and had no upper squad limit so your whole army could be one massive unit of Death Company.

Charon
03-19-2014, 10:33 AM

Not quite sure about this. Atm a plasma pistol is overpriced. If you just make the +1 attack from the pistol use the pistols stats you could be probably ok with the points.

Blood Shadow
03-19-2014, 10:41 AM
OK That's great thanks

Chris*ta
03-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Death Company in 2nd were a hot mess, hand flamers, plasma pistols, power axes and power fists all over the place, it was a nightmare to work out combat, but golly it was fun, plus they counted as Troops and had no upper squad limit so your whole army could be one massive unit of Death Company.

Assault squads in 2nd did the exact same thing. Except for the squad size, of course.