PDA

View Full Version : The supplementary codices?

carny
03-17-2014, 12:32 PM
OK I am not getting this.

Gw is currently exploding with dataslates and extra codices. Reviewers are (especially in the case of knight) exremely happy. I can't be the only going quietly for the "WTF" - I mean. Legion of the damned is a (what?) 40 dollar book that expands on ONE unit in an existing book, also so badly written that the army autolooses in RAW. I get some art, some pictures of models and some (IMHO) bad fluff and some rules. Thats ridicolous. It is not a fiar price for the content. Why aren't people screaming?

Same thing with the knight. It is supposed to be an army. An army of 3-5 of the same model. There are (as I understand it) exactly two options (errant or paladin) and people are still buying the armybook.
Then we hae Crimson Slaugther - jesus - we get to moved possesed to troops, get a few "magic items". In addition we have dataslates that allow all sorts of shenanigans - They cost dollars.

While I do not dispute that people have their right to spend their disposable income as they see fit and while I am aware that GW is a company that makes money and so on and so forth, I simply cannot fathom why people are buying into this. I am not trying flame GW for this. I am just genuinely confused why people are actually paying 40 dollars for expanded rules for Legion of the damned, possesed etc. I just don't get why people are not pissed off by this.
Sorry if I offend anyone

DrBored
03-17-2014, 01:27 PM

Gw is currently exploding with dataslates and extra codices. Reviewers are (especially in the case of knight) exremely happy. I can't be the only going quietly for the "WTF" - I mean. Legion of the damned is a (what?) 40 dollar book that expands on ONE unit in an existing book, also so badly written that the army autolooses in RAW. I get some art, some pictures of models and some (IMHO) bad fluff and some rules. Thats ridicolous. It is not a fiar price for the content. Why aren't people screaming?

Same thing with the knight. It is supposed to be an army. An army of 3-5 of the same model. There are (as I understand it) exactly two options (errant or paladin) and people are still buying the armybook.
Then we hae Crimson Slaugther - jesus - we get to moved possesed to troops, get a few "magic items". In addition we have dataslates that allow all sorts of shenanigans - They cost dollars.

While I do not dispute that people have their right to spend their disposable income as they see fit and while I am aware that GW is a company that makes money and so on and so forth, I simply cannot fathom why people are buying into this. I am not trying flame GW for this. I am just genuinely confused why people are actually paying 40 dollars for expanded rules for Legion of the damned, possesed etc. I just don't get why people are not pissed off by this.
Sorry if I offend anyone

People aren't screaming because GW isn't forcing us to buy it.

The Legion of the Damned book is made to be an ally to another force, not a standalone. All of what they're doing is more along the lines of fluff than competitiveness.

ToHitMod
03-17-2014, 01:31 PM

Sorry if I offend anyone

Because, to some people, $40 isn't a lot of money and is worth it to use their favourite units with a different army, or represent the fluff they want on the tabletop, all these releases are cool, fluffy additions to the game to help you tell the stories you want to tell, its not a cheap hobby, no hobby is really, but just because you think its outrageous, it doesn't mean everyone does.

SON OF ROMULOUS
03-17-2014, 01:51 PM
40$ for a book is not really outrageous when you look at how far they have come with their books and quality. there is also the whole fact that you can compare it to what you pay for a video game? 50-60 easily... then all the DLC which you pay for... then some of those same games make you pay a monthly fee to use their servers which aren't cheap. Ya sure we all wish they would be a bit cheaper but honestly look at your collection of stuff? for once we are actually getting to use some of the stuff that has sat around for ages becuase they didn't have a book or because you didn't like their rules... look at this new hellbrute data slate i haven't even seen the rules yet but if it makes dreads usable again then i am all for it i know i have forgeworld dreads that would love to get some use on the battlefields on the 41st millenium.

carny
03-17-2014, 02:05 PM
40$ for a book is not really outrageous when you look at how far they have come with their books and quality. there is also the whole fact that you can compare it to what you pay for a video game? 50-60 easily... then all the DLC which you pay for... then some of those same games make you pay a monthly fee to use their servers which aren't cheap. Ya sure we all wish they would be a bit cheaper but honestly look at your collection of stuff? for once we are actually getting to use some of the stuff that has sat around for ages becuase they didn't have a book or because you didn't like their rules... look at this new hellbrute data slate i haven't even seen the rules yet but if it makes dreads usable again then i am all for it i know i have forgeworld dreads that would love to get some use on the battlefields on the 41st millenium.

I suppose that if you like the fluff, but seriously - when you buy "legion of the damned codex" the actual game contents you get is far less than anyone old style codex. I am not judging GW for making it, I just really fail at understanding why people buy it.

SON OF ROMULOUS
03-17-2014, 02:18 PM
okay look at it this way if it helps. me I love my IF's so when the sentinels of terra was released as a hardback i bought it in a second. The legion of the dammed are a very interesting force so i will be getting them as well. the models are incredible and if i have to pay a price to use them in a different way then its a tax i am willing to pay to use models that i enjoy using and normally would not. When it all comes down to it what they do is the suppliments fill out the fluff for those of us who will pay for it. they give new rules for those who like diversity. now data slates what they do is they allow you to use your whole collection as well as providing some units that may not have come out as they were intended to have a second lease on life. so agagin if you really like gargoyles or endless swarm the new nid slates are right up your alley.