PDA

View Full Version : Void Shield Generator - Limited Release

Bigred
03-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Faeit (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Faeit212/~3/Hc-BVRgDCNI/void-shield-generators-limited-release.html)got this from a reader:

I just picked up the latest edition of White Dwarf and the opening pages depict the brand new Void Shield Generator model. Very beautiful model, looks like a series of tesla coils atop conjoining towers (a moderate amount of skulls). According to the article this will be for a limited release of 1000 units.

via Gir 3-19-2014

Quake Crators:
http://i.imgur.com/qGti02W.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GDHyhPB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0Xubka4.jpg

Void Shield Generator:
http://i.imgur.com/ka0RBnc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yQkJ7uH.jpg

blueshift
03-17-2014, 12:30 PM
> a moderate amount of skulls

THATS EXTRA HERETICAL

Mr Mystery
03-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Pics or he's talking cobblers!

SquigBrain
03-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Skulls are the imperium's flair (Office Space reference). Except you get shot in the face for not having enough.

Arkhan Land
03-17-2014, 01:59 PM
youre required to have 36 pieces: Ork teeth, Gretchin Skulls, Tau Eyes, Daemonette noses, the list goes on

seriouslly glad I read this post was a half day away from starting up on my own kitbashed one

Houghten
03-17-2014, 02:00 PM
...really? I mean really? That would be like making the Knight a limited edition model except even more so on account of every army can take it.

I could believe in a limited edition Void Shield Network with the parts later released separately, like we got with the Wall of Martyrs.

Tomgar
03-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Horribly noob-ish question but what actually *are* void shields (in gaming terms, I know what they are in the fluff)? Everyone seems incredibly excited at having access to them so I can only guess they repel D weapons or give you army-wide ++3 or something? They're just not something I've encountered in any book or anything so far.

Mr Mystery
03-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Stronghold.....

daboarder
03-17-2014, 03:18 PM
A limited release of 1000 for a plastic kit?

at $100 a piece your not going to even come CLOSE to paying for that initial mold cost.

Tomgar
03-17-2014, 03:18 PM
My thanks good sir, I have a digital copy of Stronghold I've actually yet to look at :D

Defenestratus
03-17-2014, 09:02 PM

at $100 a piece your not going to even come CLOSE to paying for that initial mold cost.

The loss you'd take on a limited run of 1000 is more than the revenue you'd get unless this model is merely a kitbash of other kits plus finecast grubbins.

Defies logic.

Katharon
03-17-2014, 10:25 PM

My thoughts exactly.

White Tiger88
03-17-2014, 10:31 PM
If this is true GW can kiss my demonic ***.

daboarder
03-17-2014, 11:19 PM
The loss you'd take on a limited run of 1000 is more than the revenue you'd get unless this model is merely a kitbash of other kits plus finecast grubbins.

Defies logic.

Even if its new parts are finecast, they still need to fork out for a gian machined chunk of steal to cast those bits in.

Sure it helps, but I still doubt its making them money

Lord-Boofhead
03-18-2014, 12:01 AM
limited release of 1000 units.

Smells like Stickmonkey.

Lord-Boofhead
03-18-2014, 01:43 AM
Void Shield Generator
10 resin pieces ...
Same dimensions as the Bastion

And that is where I call BS.

lobster-overlord
03-18-2014, 07:15 AM
gw has done limited runs on a bunch of stuff in plastic of those things made in china. witchfate, wall of martyrs, etc. it helps to guage interest to see if additional orders of 1000 or 100, 000 are viable, as they do not produce them them selves, but out source this type of product these days. pretty common in toy business nowadays.

Mr Mystery
03-18-2014, 07:31 AM

Indeedy.

I just don't see it being a limited release. There's no reason for it.

As others have said, it could be a limited release multi-pack type affair ala Wall of Martyrs. But one of the most anticipated Stronghold releases? 1,000 only world wide? Fark orf.

Psychosplodge
03-18-2014, 07:37 AM
Even if its new parts are finecast, they still need to fork out for a gian machined chunk of steal to cast those bits in.

Sure it helps, but I still doubt its making them money

I thought the point of casting in resin was not needing the machined steel mould needed for injection moulding?

daboarder
03-18-2014, 07:40 AM
depends on teh resin I guess.

Finecast is done in the same molds they used for the metals, that was part of its initial problems

Mr Mystery
03-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Kind of suspicious in the lack of photos....you'd expect to see them by now?

ted1138
03-18-2014, 10:28 AM
No they weren't. Metals were cast in vulcanised rubber molds, finecast uses a soft rubber mold.

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-18-2014, 11:08 AM
Beyond the Helbrute, seems rather a light month for model releases so far.

DrBored
03-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Beyond the Helbrute, seems rather a light month for model releases so far.

Agreed. Really light.

But then, it makes sense if they're then going to inundate us with something big, like Imperial Guard. I think IG will be the first full fledged Codex released under the new WD format.

Edit: Scratch that, Dwarves were, right? Meh, but that's Fantasy, so that doesn't count >.>

Mr Mystery
03-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Dirty boy!!!! :p

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Someone posted a pic of it on "reddit" : http://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer/comments/20qkne/heres_the_new_void_shield_generator/

Gir
03-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Direct link:

http://i.imgur.com/x6s8pIQ.jpg

I like it.

George Labour
03-18-2014, 04:01 PM
Interesting. Though not 100 bucks interesting I think I do like the overall design, and it seems about the right size.

And this also brings up the question of will we also seeing a set for the pipes sometime soon? GW does seem to enjoy making models for things they put those big 'classified by the inquisition' labels on in their books.

daboarder
03-18-2014, 04:07 PM
I like it too, but not enough to try and pay 100 dollars for something that is apparently limited to 1000

Katharon
03-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I already made my own using Inifinity stuff.

deinol
03-18-2014, 05:22 PM
At least now we'll be able to know the rough intended dimensions for the Void Shield. I must admit, that's a lot taller than I expected.

Tyrendian
03-18-2014, 06:45 PM
definitely a No for me - ridiculous price, and I don't even like the design... guess I'll start planning a Hoth-esque generator (or is there one of an acceptable size floating around already perchance? anybody know of one?), and fark orf to the official model - I don't play in a GW that often anyways...

TheCreator
03-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Wow that's ugly.

Anything scratch-built is and will be better looking than that. ugh...

daboarder
03-18-2014, 07:14 PM
definitely a No for me - ridiculous price, and I don't even like the design... guess I'll start planning a Hoth-esque generator (or is there one of an acceptable size floating around already perchance? anybody know of one?), and fark orf to the official model - I don't play in a GW that often anyways...

google search it and you get one painted up in tau colours

Pyredragon
03-18-2014, 08:02 PM
This is pretty bad all around for me. While I want to use Void Generators with my IG, I am not forking out 300$ for three failcast behemoths that are that hideous. Really makes me wonder what they were thinking making that nightmare.

Lord-Boofhead
03-18-2014, 08:22 PM
This is pretty bad all around for me. While I want to use Void Generators with my IG, I am not forking out 300$ for three failcast behemoths that are that hideous. Really makes me wonder what they were thinking making that nightmare.

Well you go and rant about an unconfirmed rumour while the rest of us wait and see if the Limited edition and resin parts aren't Stickmonkey or someone else passing wind and claiming it's a rumour.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I think its cool, lots of detail, and I love the integrated Servitor.

Still no proof of its limited status or that it's resin though.

Gir
03-18-2014, 08:46 PM
Quake Creators:

http://i.imgur.com/qGti02W.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GDHyhPB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0Xubka4.jpg

More photos of the generator:

http://i.imgur.com/ka0RBnc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yQkJ7uH.jpg

George Labour
03-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Gah...after seeing more of the mechanicustic details I want one now. if only it was plastic and not limited.Or maybe that's why I now want one even more than I did a few hours ago.

I'm such a sucker for grimdark mechanicus stuff. XD

Still I suppose I can make something like it using a electrical box, watch pieces, and marbles if I wasn't so darn lazy.

Lord-Boofhead
03-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Ok the Limited and Resin bit (although NOT Finecast) has been confirmed, you may now lose your **** and start ranting.

on a related note I love it think it looks great.

Tuatara
03-18-2014, 11:39 PM
Very nicely detailed. However, at that price, it isn't going to be on my table any time soon.

Katharon
03-19-2014, 01:04 AM
Too bad it's not compliant with WYSIWYG tournament rules...you know, because it's suppose to have battlements. Do you see battlements on that thing?

http://i.imgur.com/zuZ21gf.png

lattd
03-19-2014, 01:36 AM
I see why it costs so much! They had to buy sonic screw drivers toys to make the pillars :P

frommage
03-19-2014, 01:53 AM
If you kill the servitor does the shield stop working? :D

Psychosplodge
03-19-2014, 02:32 AM
Well, it's certainly interesting looking, but not what I'm guessing £70? interesting looking.

Mr Mystery
03-19-2014, 04:02 AM
Yessir I like it.

May get one. Though spoiling the other half and sprogs (no relation) kind of comes first. But this very pretty!

Psychosplodge
03-19-2014, 04:07 AM
You just want someone to play nerfs with... :rolleyes:

Mr Mystery
03-19-2014, 04:21 AM
Well, yes, yes I do!

And it's more fun if they can shoot back and miss me!

George Labour
03-19-2014, 08:08 AM
@ Katharon: It does have an observation platform on top, it's mentioned in the picture that shows off the Machina Opus symbol. So it technically does have battlements. It just requires the troopers to stand VERY close to open holes into the warp....

Arkhan Land
03-19-2014, 08:25 AM
Omissah Magna Gloriam!

gwensdad
03-19-2014, 08:42 AM
It's a sonic void shield.
But really, I think the "good" sonic screwdrivers run about $20 each so maybe not as cheap to convert as I thought. But I'm sure I'll scratchbuild one anyway.

StarWarsDoug
03-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Ok the Limited and Resin bit (although NOT Finecast) has been confirmed, you may now lose your **** and start ranting.

on a related note I love it think it looks great.

So...I see no apology to Stickmonkey for the numerous digs at him for no reason...

Mr Mystery
03-19-2014, 09:08 AM
Repeat after me....we are not Dakka. We do not troll. That goes for both of you.

/Parentvoice

Tyrendian
03-19-2014, 09:14 AM
those craters do look nice though, and useful besides - might get a set of those! any word on the price of them perchance?

Psychosplodge
03-19-2014, 09:24 AM
Repeat after me....we are not Dakka. We do not troll. That goes for both of you.

/Parentvoice

Well, not like that anyway...

Mr Mystery
03-19-2014, 10:25 AM
Derailing is not trolling.

Derailing is an art form!

Psychosplodge
03-19-2014, 10:30 AM
I didn't mean in terms of derailment, which as you say is an artform, I just meant the trolling is more friendly than passive aggressive...

ToHitMod
03-19-2014, 10:40 AM

Again, you've only seen photos and, something that size, $100 is not bad for detailed resin, no where does it say Finecast and GW ussually try and stick to using Finecast when refering to Finecast stuff.

Also, stop saying Failcast or Failco$t or whatever, it wasn't funny 2 years ago, its really really not funny now.

Psychosplodge
03-19-2014, 10:42 AM
It was funny two years ago...
today? meh :D

Pssyche
03-19-2014, 11:43 AM
I think it's a shockingly bad model.
I love collecting 40K but I definitely won't be buying one of these.
And not because of its price, either.
The model looks around 125mm x 125mm x 250mm, and £75 or thereabouts for a resin kit that large isn't that bad of a price.
I just don't buy stuff I don't like, no matter how useful it is.

ToHitMod
03-19-2014, 12:31 PM
It was funny two years ago...
today? meh :D

Mirco$oft was wrly amusing in the mid ninties, since then, its a terrible old joke, ussually only made by the most neck-bearded of grognards

Flame of Udun
03-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Bleh, I'd hoped for something more akin to Quantum Gothic's generator. They really need to get their store up and running again.

brokbrok
03-19-2014, 03:30 PM
I think it looks horrible. Someone made one quarter of it in a 3d software and duplicated it around then slapped on an absurd tag. If it's a 3d model I'd prefer that they gave a **** before selling it and made it asymmetrical.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
03-19-2014, 03:31 PM
I read the White Dwarf today, didn't think to look at the price of the fricking 40k stuff, I just looked at Beorn the Bear...

Tomgar
03-19-2014, 05:09 PM
I reckon this is a limited run to test out the move to replace Finecast with Forgeworld resin. The article doesn't mention finecast and we all know they're planning to scrap it in favour of FW resin. This strikes me as a chance to get feedback on the new resin from Games Workshop customers. I also reckon they'll bring it back later on, they've got to be making a loss on these otherwise.

bfmusashi
03-19-2014, 08:03 PM
I'm sticking with Big Red's suggestion of the battery powered plasma ball. It's too much fun not to use.

Gleipnir
03-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Looking at the 5 ball shaped objects on the model that remind me of the Limited Edition Vortex Templates they offered when Apocalypse launched, makes me wonder if they are the primary reason for the Limited Edition nature of what rules wise could be a very popular release

Gir
03-19-2014, 09:15 PM
I'm betting it was going to be a plastic kit, but they couldn't make it work for some reason, so they figured they quickly release it in resin to get some money back on the investment.

daboarder
03-19-2014, 09:22 PM
It could be that they need a model in order to prevent someone else releasing a :="void shield generator" and them loosing the name with regards to miniatures couldnt it? wasnt that part of the chapter house finding?

George Labour
03-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Probably a bit from colummns a-z.

Including it being such a esoteric item that they just didn't think it'd sell well enough to warrant a full plastic release.

After all a lot of the newer crop don't seem to realize what Gothic Space Horror is and react to anything non HALO like with...less than positive responses. Just look back at how some responded to the Cities of Death or Wall of Martyr releases, and then realize those are pretty staid compared to a lot of Imperial architecture we see in the artwork. And the Mechanicus take that look and crank it up to 11 X 9001 with their cogs, steam pipes, and robo zombies.

Psychosplodge
03-20-2014, 02:50 AM
Mirco$oft was wrly amusing in the mid ninties, since then, its a terrible old joke, ussually only made by the most neck-bearded of grognards

Friendly as always I see.

eldargal
03-20-2014, 06:18 AM
I quite like it, I'd like to see more pictures before I make a decision whether or not to buy it.

Who am I idding I'm going to buy the bloody thing regardless if only in the hope GW might make more terrain for other races eventually. Resin webway portal please.

Lexington
03-20-2014, 08:41 AM
Eh. Unimpressed. Too much volt-punk whirlygig nonsense. It's not terrible or anything, but it'd be a hard sell at a third the price, to mine eye.

After all a lot of the newer crop don't seem to realize what Gothic Space Horror is and react to anything non HALO like with...less than positive responses.
Or we're part of an even older crop, who remember when "40K architecture" wasn't synonymous with "overdesign." ;)

Orange
03-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Really do not like this model, I know why, but don't like how everything is modelled for Space Marines.

George Labour
03-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Eh. Unimpressed. Too much volt-punk whirlygig nonsense. It's not terrible or anything, but it'd be a hard sell at a third the price, to mine eye.

Or we're part of an even older crop, who remember when "40K architecture" wasn't synonymous with "overdesign." ;)

True. But it was also a bit more 80s cartoon action hour then as well which would likely go over even worse with these young whipper snappers.

- - - Updated - - -

Really do not like this model, I know why, but don't like how everything is modelled for Space Marines.

Uhhh it's actually modeled for Adeptus Mechanicus. Astartes gear has a very different design theme.

theresponsibleone
03-21-2014, 01:33 PM
... it's sold out already.

Posted at 7:03pm GMT, sold out within 15 minutes.

I think they massively underestimated demand on this one.

silashand
03-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Well, I guess that saves me $100. Sold out in 15 min... GW really do baffle the mind sometimes.

George Labour
03-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Did it really sell out or have they just not activated it for purchasing until tomorrow?

silashand
03-21-2014, 02:29 PM
AFAIK it went up for pre-orders last night in the UK (midnight EST). Status currently says "No longer available."

Just noticed they also took it off the highlights on their front page...

Lord-Boofhead
03-21-2014, 02:30 PM
So...I see no apology to Stickmonkey for the numerous digs at him for no reason...

I have to apologize to someone whose name has become a byword for compulsive liar in this subculture for making stuff up?

Every rumour attached to the guy in the last 2 years has been bunk. Guy makes stuff up. Did your folks never tell you the story of the boy who Cried wolf?

Lord-Boofhead
03-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Again, you've only seen photos and, something that size, $100 is not bad for detailed resin, no where does it say Finecast and GW ussually try and stick to using Finecast when refering to Finecast stuff.

Also, stop saying Failcast or Failco$t or whatever, it wasn't funny 2 years ago, its really really not funny now.

Glad I'm not the only one tired of this nonsense.

Apparently on the wholesale order form it says Finecast or at least that's what the guy at my FLGS says, BUT that could just be s stuff up there.

As for this failcast rubbish its childish rants like that that would be the reason they aren't using the finecast word if it is the stuff.

Most the carrying on is by a) a small minority who got the stuff badly miscast at the start when the bugs were still being ironed out and they didn't realise how much higher the quality control needed to be that pewter and b) a larger Majority of folks who are jumping on the band wagon.

Me I prefer the stuff over Pewter any day. Its a dream to cut up to convert.

deinol
03-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Anyone else notice this:

Made from polystone

Have they ever used "polystone" before? Maybe its a test run for a new material?

Lord-Boofhead
03-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Anyone else notice this:

Have they ever used "polystone" before? Maybe its a test run for a new material?

Not that I know of.

Well spotted.

theresponsibleone
03-21-2014, 03:15 PM

Polystone is, according to google, something commonly used for busts and so on. It's a mix of resin and stone dust, and pretty well regarded according to the first few articles I found.

This entire release smells of the limited edition folk - the box design, numbers and so on. They have a team dedicated to doing short run, fancy stuff. As a note, I'm cool with that as long as they get the numbers right to the point of people at least getting an opportunity - say, a week or so - to order a kit or book. Money is money - they're a business, and if people will buy, that's fair enough.

I would guess that this was an experiment in whether non book stuff was viable as a limited edition release - clearly it is from a "selling out" point of view, but probably not in terms of maximising their profits just yet - they could have put 3,000 or maybe even 5,000 up and they'd have probably been gone by the end of the week at the price point listed. I was certainly logging on with my credit card to order three!

It may also be an experiment in terms of the material as well - I'd certainly be interested in more Polystone stuff if it's as good as google searches are implying it is - but they may not have in house capacity yet.

The descriptions for the now sold out kit are referring to the prep being already done - I suspect that even having the intern sand down and prepare a thousand kits is time consuming and pricey. I'm unsure if the mould lines are normally a bit of a pain with this stuff or not.

George Labour
03-21-2014, 03:21 PM
I noticed the polystone thing too.

I also took note of the component list. A mere 10 pieces for all that detail, and most of those are the cogs and void shield towers. That means the base, and the central part with all the gribblies are one piece sets. Quite impressive considering the amount of bling on them.

Cap'nSmurfs
03-21-2014, 03:50 PM
It's a limited edition release in an almost presentation-style box. I hope this is a sign of things to come - I won't buy this one, but other things, maybe!

Edit: Holy frijoles, the thing sold out in less than three hours? Jeebus.

silashand
03-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Me I prefer the stuff over Pewter any day. Its a dream to cut up to convert.

You are one of the few I have heard likes it then. I can't stand the crap. It's brittle, breaks at the slightest breeze and doesn't stay to form if you have to try and reshape it due to warpage. Worst friggin' material I have seen for models in years. And yes, I have purchased more recent casts than the first junk they sold. It's still just as horrible as it was when it came out.

Charon
03-21-2014, 04:59 PM
Obviously not even GW liked it enough to keep it. So I guess Failcast holds indeed some truth.

daboarder
03-21-2014, 05:26 PM
It's a limited edition release in an almost presentation-style box. I hope this is a sign of things to come - I won't buy this one, but other things, maybe!

Edit: Holy frijoles, the thing sold out in less than three hours? Jeebus.

it went in about 15-20 minutes

I hope to god they dont continue this crap

It works fine for things like the games day model that are available in unlimited quantities for a time length and are asthetic only, but limiting actual game units? I'll get off that train before it starts thanks

Mr Mystery
03-21-2014, 05:33 PM
Obviously not even GW liked it enough to keep it. So I guess Failcast holds indeed some truth.

It's not fine cast.

But whatever floats your boat dude.

daboarder
03-21-2014, 05:51 PM
It's not fine cast.

But whatever floats your boat dude.

pretty sure that was his point.

Charon
03-21-2014, 05:55 PM
pretty sure you are right :D

Defenestratus
03-21-2014, 07:45 PM
You are one of the few I have heard likes it then. I can't stand the crap. It's brittle, breaks at the slightest breeze and doesn't stay to form if you have to try and reshape it due to warpage. Worst friggin' material I have seen for models in years. And yes, I have purchased more recent casts than the first junk they sold. It's still just as horrible as it was when it came out.

Count me amongst his numbers. After the initial issues were ironed out it was much better than both FW resin and pewter.

I've had my vanguard marines bounce like a superball across the LGS' concrete floor.. I don't know why you say that the models break easily. That hasn't been my experience at all.

Now...

If you want to ***** and moan about FW resin and packaging practices, I'll be right there with you.

Anyways, for those of you looking for more of a "Hoth-esque" shield generator, Regnir managed to find these that look pretty cool - but to me they look almost more Eldar than Imperial with the exception of the gear cog teeth.

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52&products_id=480

Gleipnir
03-22-2014, 12:37 AM
They were gone in less than 3 minutes, was told that the full allotment was purchased within the first 45 seconds of going live by GW manager, and that only the 10 highest volume stores even had 1 sent to them. I expect more than a few people loaded up on this one with plans to ebay them off.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
03-22-2014, 03:17 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaand it's gone.

Mr Mystery
03-22-2014, 04:12 AM
pretty sure you are right :D

He is indeed. Apologies for my reading comprehension fail!

Pssyche
03-22-2014, 06:44 AM
Anyways, for those of you looking for more of a "Hoth-esque" shield generator, Regnir managed to find these that look pretty cool - but to me they look almost more Eldar than Imperial with the exception of the gear cog teeth.

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52&products_id=480

They are a touch on the small side.
"A set of two pressure cast resin power generator in the Imperial theme -- measuring 85.25mm x 25mm x 42.52mm."
But they also do a single generator with a control panel.

Oh, and I agree with you about Finecast.
Admittedly I didn't buy any of the early castings, but I never had any problems with it.

Cap'nSmurfs
03-22-2014, 07:16 AM
Most of the Finecast models I've had have been just fine. Some had awkward flash to clean up, but that was about it.

Not one of my FC models has shattered into all its component parts, never to be properly glued together again, unlike *some* materials I can think of.

silashand
03-22-2014, 08:46 AM
Now...

If you want to ***** and moan about FW resin and packaging practices, I'll be right there with you.

I prefer FW resin, but not by much. It's biggest problem is if you drop it on a hard surface it can shatter into God only knows how many pieces (yes, I have had that happen :( ). The only reason I prefer it is if you get a warped piece and you need to reshape it, it will actually keep the new shape and not revert back to its original warped form in 24 hours. I have one Finecast piece I have tried to straighten using normal methods over a half dozen times and it goes back to the f***ed up shape every single time within 24-48 hours. Effing hate that crap...

Charon
03-22-2014, 09:08 AM
Depends on... both materials have issues and I feel the quality has a huge variety. There are some which are near perfect, some are extremely brittle looking too long at them could possible shatter them in a million pieces, some are very soft and every long part tends to bend itself torwards the ground over time.
I guess its either storaging or a variety of mixtures which cause these issues.

silashand
03-22-2014, 11:37 AM
I guess its either storaging or a variety of mixtures which cause these issues.

I have no idea what causes it because yes, you are right that some of both types can be perfect. On the other hand some can be utter garbage. I have had much better luck with alternative manufacturers in that they seem to use far better resin. Which surprises me because GW's stuff is made in the same country as pretty much everything else now. If one manufacturer can consistently produce quality figs why can't GW? I will never understand that...

Defenestratus
03-22-2014, 12:37 PM
I prefer FW resin, but not by much. It's biggest problem is if you drop it on a hard surface it can shatter into God only knows how many pieces (yes, I have had that happen :( ). The only reason I prefer it is if you get a warped piece and you need to reshape it, it will actually keep the new shape and not revert back to its original warped form in 24 hours. I have one Finecast piece I have tried to straighten using normal methods over a half dozen times and it goes back to the f***ed up shape every single time within 24-48 hours. Effing hate that crap...

Its funny. I feel like I'm in an alternate reality.

All my FW reverts, over time, to a warped status. I'm staring at pulsar barrels that have been straightened so many times, I don't even care anymore to straighten them anymore.

FC does warp, I'll agree, but as opposed to FW resin, you can use hot breath to heat it up to bend back in a lot of cases.

To permanently set FC resin, you need to heat it with a hair dryer, straighten the piece then dunk it in ice water.

silashand
03-22-2014, 03:06 PM
To permanently set FC resin, you need to heat it with a hair dryer, straighten the piece then dunk it in ice water.

Tried that (twice), didn't work. As for FW, I have only ever had to straighten the pieces once (the pulsars on my Scorpion and the old bright lances that used to come with some of their kits) and they have stayed where I set them since.

This is funny as hell since you have the exact opposite negative experiences I have with GW resin. Well, funny in an ironic sort of way. From a gaming standpoint it's just plain pathetic that GW can't seem to get it right when so many other companies can. JMO though...

Psychosplodge
03-24-2014, 03:02 AM
I noticed the polystone thing too.

Did they use polystone for those large scale limited space marines they did a few years back?
Or possibly the ruined chapel?

Both came pre-painted.

Harley
03-24-2014, 08:55 AM
This thing looks like a Fish Tank decoration.