PDA

View Full Version : Cadian "Iron Hand Straken" Conversion Idea

Garradh
12-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi!

I'm trying to convert a model to use for "counts as" Iron-Hand Straken. I play Mordians and Cadians (modeled and painted as Jakart PzGs, http://brassangel.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=6371231 http://brassangel.webs.com/apps/photos/photo/next?photoid=6371231 no not my paint work, yes that is the Macharian Cross, sharp eye!)

Since Straken has a 3+ armor save I am looking for a power armored Guard officer, possibly to be a general or colonel, wielding a big two-handed weapon to represent the S6 and lack of bonus attack for pistol/ccw.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of good human male models in power armor, only really having Toquemada Coteaz or Space Marines, which would have looked too . . . Coteazish or Marineish. I decided to go with a WHFB model in plate, and this guy caught my eye - http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat20002&prodId=prod20031

Clearly the head has to go, as do the twin-tailed comets on his skirt thingy and the prominent "Sigmar" on his left shoulder - even though I could say "oh it's Saint Sigmar the Magnificent or General Sigmar of Yaddaheim" it clearly screams "warhammer model" which I want to avoid.

In order to keep an "Imperial Guard" look to him, I intended to use the capped head from the Cadian plastic command box in lieu of the model's current head. This will take some drilling but the conversion should be rather simple. I don't feel the hammer fits - it calls into mind Thunder Hammers and Daemonhammers. However, I do want to represent a two-hander of some kind. My original thought was to use the axe head from the 3rd Ed Space Wolves sprue to create a two-handed axe, but that doesn't seem very Guard-like either. I'm thinking either a large two-handed sword (hard to pull off considering how long the weapon's handle is spaced between his two hands) or a polearm-style weapon like a naginata - long pole with a sword blade at the end. Any thoughts on how to pull off a decent-looking two-hander?

In keeping with 40K power armor themes, I feel there are two other things missing from the model - a backpack with rebreathers and power unit, and bulkier shoulders. For the backpack I considered a Guard vox-caster to maintain the IG look, with a banner pole or small aquila figure to top it off instead of the vox caster aerials. Rebreather I'm kinda stuck on. Just chopping off a Marine backpack vent and sticking on it seems cheesy - perhaps that on one side of the backpack and a shotgun strapped to the other side?

The shoulderplates on the model don't match the bulkiness of 40K power armor shoulders, IMO. Clearly not in line with Space Marine shoulder plates, but I would like to bulk them out a bit. I think this would add some strength to the look of the model. Any ideas on how I could accomplish this with Imperial Guard flare?

Finally there's a large book where a plasma pistol holster should be. I think this will be an easy enough cut-n-replace, but would that satisfy YOU to say "oh that laspistol-shaped holster is in fact a plasma pistol"? I suppose a Space Marine holstered pistol would fit better - I think I just answered my own question there.

So to wrap up, what to do for a backpack, should I buff up the shoulders, and what to do for the two hander? Advice or suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

lobster-overlord
12-29-2009, 05:37 PM
I have this same model to be modded to be my Master of Ordnance for my Vostroyans. I've used the same head, but sculpted the fur hat and gasmask of GS. The hands are in a rough place to be holding a pistol for it to look natural, so I think your idea of a huge CCW would work for it.

As for a back pack, you'd probably do best to have a dremel handy to sand down the back since he's got a good bit of fur on the back. I have the original straken with shotgun, so the Necromunda pack with the shotgun shells/Stubber chains would look good with that version, but not sure about yours.

John M>

Lerra
12-29-2009, 06:36 PM
I like your idea, but if you're looking for something closer to the other guard models, you might want to look at some of the Khador models from Privateer Press.

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/khador/warcasters/kommander-strakhov

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/khador/warcasters/supreme-kommandant-irusk

Gregory
12-29-2009, 10:59 PM
You might also want to look at some of the Daemonhunters inquisitor models. They'd require a bit of conversion, but they are power armor I believe, and they don't look like Space Marines.

EDIT: Ok, I'm wrong. They only have 4+ saves apparently, but I think they could pass as light power armor and you could add some extra armor with GS. For a backpack, I'd use an Elysian grav-chute or something.

Garradh
12-31-2009, 08:59 AM
Well as I mentioned I'd already settled on a base model. I looked hard at the Inquisitor models, thanks for the suggestion, but they seemed like they would require a bit too much filing of I's. Last night, laying around doing nothing I had the revelation that the old Macharius figure was fully encased in a set of plate which, even though it was Carapace Armor, matched the hand-molded power armored style the SoBs have. Looking around for other inspiration, there's Inquisitor Tyrus in his "Michelin Man" power armor from the old Inquisitor game. I knew I wanted something with a bit more substance, but not THAT much more!

I'm really liking the idea of a glaive or sword for the weapon. I suppose a sword could be achieved by cutting down the hammer's handle so the pommel is immediately behind the left hand and the crosspiece is immediately above the right hand. Grey Knight swords are WAY too big on a Guardsman so I think I'll poke around my Marine bits to see what I can find.

Shoulders . . . any ideas/opinions for bulking them out?

The idea for a Necromunda backpack came to me too. I'll have to take a look at that line to see if there's anything that might work! Thanks!

person person
12-31-2009, 11:09 PM
Well for the shoulders all I can think of is using Green Stuff to bulk up the shoulders or replace 'em. As for the CC weapon hmm...

Happy New Years!

Garradh
01-01-2010, 03:43 AM
I think I found the sword . . . going to use the sword from the Space Marine commander from Black Reach. I almost feel like it's a waste of a beautiful model, but bolter/power weapon combo doesn't see play, hasn't seen play, and in 4 of the game's 5 editions wouldn't even make it onto the field.

I may have found my backpack too, from the Communications Array bits that come with Imperial Bastions. I hope to do some preliminary cutting this weekend and get some screenies up soon!

person person
01-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Good luck Garradh!

Garradh
01-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Oh snaps! Straken fights with a pistol and CCW! Oh well I think I'll stick with the model and the two-hander idea anyway.

Common consensus is glaive>sword. Any ideas on how to model a neat one?

Just_Me
01-10-2010, 01:03 AM
So to wrap up, what to do for a backpack, should I buff up the shoulders, and what to do for the two hander? Advice or suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about the shoulders if I were you, they don't have to be much bulkier than they already are, look at Corteaz, his shoulders aren't anything like as massive as a Space Marine's, and Solomon Lok fits his suit of master-crafted power armor (that's right, IA Volume 4 gives him a 2+ save) under his snazzy robes! Talk about slimmed down protection... The reason Space Marine Power armor is so much bulkier is that technically it is "much more betterer" than all but a few one-off special suits in the galaxy. Partially this is represented by their higher toughness, but generally speaking the abstractions required for the 40k game just can't show this; when you only have 5 levels of armor to work with, things have to get lumped together (i.e. all terminator armor is 2+, all power armor is 3+, all carapace is 4+, all flak is 5+, all poor saps with little better than a kevlar vest are 6+, and everyone in street cloths gets NOTHING).

therealjohnny5
01-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Oh snaps! Straken fights with a pistol and CCW! Oh well I think I'll stick with the model and the two-hander idea anyway.

Common consensus is glaive>sword. Any ideas on how to model a neat one?

you could take two knives from scouts or what not, sword even and attach to a pole.