PDA

View Full Version : Chaplin vs. Librarian Comparisons?

Xaric
03-13-2014, 02:33 AM
As I have been told the Chaplin is better then librarian but I believe since 6th edition codex that Librarian could be a more viable choice in future games with all the Psyker powers coming out.

Chaplin gets the Zealot rule that makes the unit hatred and fearless
Librarian has access to the biomancy table and has psychic hood due to more and more codex's have psychic powers.

They both get a weapon and a bolt pistol so they get there +1 attack but here is what sets there weapons apart Librarian gets a force weapon
The Librarian also has access to a stormshield if you wish to sacrifice the +1 attack but at least you get the added protection instead of spending 15 points more on terminator armor the chaplain also has to pay more points for terminator armor then the Librarian
But the chaplain get a cheaper combi weapons and comes with a storm bolter if he does take the terminator armor

What's everyone else take on this please correct me if i missed anything.

Wolfshade
03-13-2014, 02:58 AM
It depends what game I am playing. When playing with marines I almost exclusively run Blood Angels. I do prefer to have Librarian as my HQ, but if I am playing small points games then I will usually go for a Reculsiam as my HQ choice as I more often than not have a Death Company and those two are a brilliant synergy.

In order to get a better psychic defence the Libby is necessary and can be very useful buff to squads. The Chaplain is more situational and only really comes to the front when you get him in combat.

Xaric
03-13-2014, 03:16 AM
That or if you can get him in to combat the issue I see mostly with 6th is the lack of charge when coming from transport or deepstrike makes me wonder on a narrative what happens do they just stumble out of the transport or something?

House rules should be for that is fearless can charge even from disembarking but wont get the +1 attack and models with heavy weapons that snapshot in overwatch can pin the target preventing them from charging if it hits but does not have to wound.

In a narrative sense they would be charging into battle but when they see one of there team getting hit all go to ground to aid there team member who just got hit.

But if a unit has hatred it would just carry on the charge because well seeing your team member get knocked on his *** your more pissed at the person who shot him.

But this rule would only come into play if you have about 50% of there numbers in that unit charging for example they have 10 people overwatching you must at least have 5 people to charge kind of thing because you wouldn't run blindly into a battle where there are too many firing at you.

Anggul
03-13-2014, 05:40 AM
Chaplains are pretty poor really. Librarians are much better for their cost. Still decent in close combat and have psychic powers for cheaper.

This Dave
03-13-2014, 07:09 AM
That or if you can get him in to combat the issue I see mostly with 6th is the lack of charge when coming from transport or deepstrike makes me wonder on a narrative what happens do they just stumble out of the transport or something?

House rules should be for that is fearless can charge even from disembarking but wont get the +1 attack and models with heavy weapons that snapshot in overwatch can pin the target preventing them from charging if it hits but does not have to wound.

In a narrative sense they would be charging into battle but when they see one of there team getting hit all go to ground to aid there team member who just got hit.

But if a unit has hatred it would just carry on the charge because well seeing your team member get knocked on his *** your more pissed at the person who shot him.

But this rule would only come into play if you have about 50% of there numbers in that unit charging for example they have 10 people overwatching you must at least have 5 people to charge kind of thing because you wouldn't run blindly into a battle where there are too many firing at you.

The rationale behind not being able to charge when Deep Striking or Disembarking is that the unit is too disorganized from the landing or too slowed going through the small door of the transport to mount an effective attack. The rules reason is to weaken Deep Strike assaults or Rhino Rushes.

Instead of a total ban I wish GW would have just done something like half charge range and counts as Disordered is assaulting from a transport or Deep Strike.