PDA

View Full Version : Warmachine box sets

athanor
12-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Hi all- I'm planning on joining the Warmachine craze with the launch of MK II come January. My local FLGS has several of the old box sets for each of the factions and I've been contemplating buying one (or two) as "seeds" for my force. My question is, with the new rules (and new minis) launching around the corner, will these old sets be immediately obsolete? Thanks guys!

Squirrel_Fish
12-27-2009, 03:29 PM
All of the models in the box sets are still quite useable, even after the MKII release. Considering its quite the deal, go for it.

Bean
12-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Mk. II has rendered most of the 'jacks and casters in the boxed sets playable, even if they aren't all exceptional, and the boxed sets are a bargain.

However, I've said this before, and I still think it's true: the boxed sets aren't worth it if they don't include stuff that you want to play. There's a lot of stuff for each faction. Dozens of Warcasters, each which promote substantially different styles of play.

You'd be better served looking through the rulebooks and picking out the models that you want to use and buying those. Choose a caster that you think is cool. Choose some 'jacks and units you like, either in concept or because of their rules. Then look at the boxed set to see if it actually has stuff in it that you think you're going to want. If it does, by all means: buy it. If it doesn't, though, it's a waste of time and money to start off your experience with the game using models that don't particularly interest or excite you.

The boxed sets are a bargain, but they're not worthwhile for everyone. Take some time to think about what you actually want to play, and buy that stuff. Don't get the boxed set just because it's cheap, or because it's marketed towards beginners. Neither of those are good reasons to buy things.