PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Knight Conversions - Quindia Studios

quindia
03-04-2014, 10:43 AM
The first thing I did when I started my new Imperial Knight kit was break out a jewelers' saw and cut the left leg in half below the knee...

I wanted my model climbing through the rubble of a ruined building, but the same build could be used to make a knight charging across open terrain (3rd pic). The only fiddly bit of modeling was replacing the hose on the left leg.

I will have a step by step tutorial on my blog in a few days, but I just wanted to post these pics for those thinking about doing similar things. The rest of the construction should be by the numbers and boring.

I hesitate to rush the assembly of the arms until we see what kind of goodies FW comes out with. It would be awesome if they produce complete arm kits because you won't need magnets to swap them out, but I am afraid they might only make lower arm additions that would require you to use the shoulder joints in the main kit. I haven't decided on a house or faction yet anyway so I'm not in a hurry...

Denzark
03-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Awesome pose - still a little sprue line on the legs/feet though. Looking forward to the finished article.

quindia
03-04-2014, 11:33 AM
Awesome pose - still a little sprue line on the legs/feet though. Looking forward to the finished article.

Yep... Not finished filing, etc...

Tyrendian
03-04-2014, 12:03 PM
bit too dynamic for me if I'm honest - I just can't imagine a Knight doing Yoga (OK exaggerated but still...)
not that it can't look nice once the rest of the model is actually there, mind you - I sure am curious how this turns out! Surprise me ;)

quindia
03-05-2014, 07:25 AM
bit too dynamic for me if I'm honest - I just can't imagine a Knight doing Yoga (OK exaggerated but still...)
not that it can't look nice once the rest of the model is actually there, mind you - I sure am curious how this turns out! Surprise me ;)

LOL... should be similar to the pose from the artwork when it's finished...

The leading leg has the thigh parallel to the ground with the trailing leg stretched out behind. My moth-like attention span has been distracted by another knight conversion (which I will also post), but I'll get this first guy finished in a couple of days...

quindia
03-06-2014, 08:19 AM
The mini tutorial is up for the yoga knight and I'll be assembling the torso and weapons today, but I wanted to post the second conversion that interrupted the first... an Imperial Warden!

There are still details to add and none of the armor or weapons are glued down as I want to paint everything in sub-assemblies (still not sure on the color scheme). As before I'll post conversion notes on my blog (http://quindiastudios.blogspot.com/).

Tyrendian
03-06-2014, 10:28 AM
The mini tutorial is up for the yoga knight and I'll be assembling the torso and weapons today, but I wanted to post the second conversion that interrupted the first... an Imperial Warden!

There are still details to add and none of the armor or weapons are glued down as I want to paint everything in sub-assemblies (still not sure on the color scheme). As before I'll post conversion notes on my blog (http://quindiastudios.blogspot.com/).

since I apparently got to name the first one, might as well have a go at this one too...
I dub thee Sir Fierce Fuzzy Chick
as a cross between these two:

*do not take this too seriously - not trying to be rude or demean your work at all!!! that's just what immediately popped into my mind...*

quindia
03-06-2014, 11:07 AM
Yep... I always liked this design with the t-rex arms...

miteyheroes
03-06-2014, 11:16 AM
Great stuff, how did you do it?

quindia
03-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Working on a bit of a tutorial, but basically I left the ball off of the waist, glued the torso on a forward angle directly to the hips, mounted the plate that holds the head so it would be perpendicular to the ground (rather than facing down as the new torso angle would require) and give it the hunchbacked look of one of the old warden designs. The arms retain the original kit shoulder sockets with the struts trimmed away and with guns from the SM Stalker glued on. The missile launcher is made from both launchers from the Valkyrie kit, a bit of plastic rod, and random parts from my bits box (no idea where they originally came from).

quindia
03-06-2014, 08:34 PM
...and here's the first guy again...

The chainsword arm will be higher and positioned a little differently, but nothing is glued down yet and that was the best I could do for the pic. Of course he's still missing the heraldry shield and most of the armor plates, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far. Hopefully I can start painting him next week (as soon as I settle on a color scheme).

Darren Richardson
03-07-2014, 02:05 AM

The chainsword arm will be higher and positioned a little differently, but nothing is glued down yet and that was the best I could do for the pic. Of course he's still missing the heraldry shield and most of the armor plates, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far. Hopefully I can start painting him next week (as soon as I settle on a color scheme).

WOW, even in his unfinshed state he looks amazing, and your other conversion is looking pretty sweet as well.

I tip my Virtual Hat off to you good sir on your amazing work!

miteyheroes
03-07-2014, 03:19 AM
I'd love to see the Warden from behind.

quindia
03-08-2014, 08:05 AM
I'd love to see the Warden from behind.

In progress... will have more pics in a couple of days...

Tyrendian
03-08-2014, 07:09 PM

aaaand the Yoga Knight kisses his own hip... that's probably just perspective though :P nice work

quindia
03-11-2014, 05:42 PM
WIP... House Hawkshroud with Red Scorpion markings to show the current allegiance of this knight...

All of the basic painting is finished. The decals are still shiny and reflecting the light as you can see by the emblem on the shield (crummy photo too - the whole pic is kind of washed out as well), but I am now going to start the process of weathering followed by several coats of varnish and everything should blend smoothly after that.

Darren Richardson
03-12-2014, 03:55 AM
WIP... House Hawkshroud with Red Scorpion markings to show the current allegiance of this knight...

All of the basic painting is finished. The decals are still shiny and reflecting the light as you can see by the emblem on the shield (crummy photo too - the whole pic is kind of washed out as well), but I am now going to start the process of weathering followed by several coats of varnish and everything should blend smoothly after that.

WOW for a crummy photo of an unfinished model....

That model looks amazing even unfinished!

quindia
03-13-2014, 06:52 AM
First stage of weathering... basically roughed up the decals and added chips and cracks to the armor plates.

Need to touch up a few spots, but it's coming along... I need to add some minor damage to the pristine metal trim too...

quindia
03-15-2014, 09:56 AM
Wip...

Dimitrios
03-16-2014, 09:07 AM
The pose isn't what I would have done myself but the painting is top quality! Great work!

quindia
03-19-2014, 06:39 AM
Finished...

This was one of the best GW kits I've worked on in a long time. I have more knights on the way, but I've been inspired to add to my Red Scorpions and Death Korps of Krieg armies. I think I still prefer loads of infantry to lumbering monsters - eggs/basket/etc - but I am looking forward to trying a couple of the knights on the table.

Cherubael
03-19-2014, 08:32 PM
Nice!!

- - - Updated - - -

Very cool pose, made what is a kind of static miniature into a very dynamic miniature, however you still get the feeling that this thing is a big *** robot!

Darren Richardson
03-20-2014, 01:33 AM
that is one very nice Knight, so beautifuly done....

Makes me REALLY want one now for myself....

- - - Updated - - -
Ugh sod this double posting taking me off the page crap :(

quindia
04-07-2014, 06:17 AM
Finally got around to the WIP photos of the Imperial Warden...

Quindia Studios (http://quindiastudios.blogspot.com/)

scottshoemaker
04-07-2014, 04:41 PM
I love the warden!

Yup, I'm old.

Meph
04-11-2014, 03:18 AM
That Warden is awesome, it always was my favourite fo the old knights. :D

quindia
04-18-2014, 03:18 PM
WIP on the Warden...

Next up is the weathering and then I will finish the base with some low ruins like my first knight.

Azhrarnx
04-21-2014, 07:40 AM
I like it. Dynamic posing lends to a feeling of urgency, like a warmachine in battle not like it standing in a static "Come at me Bro" pose. The painting is excellent as well. A job well done!

Da Sausage Grot approves!

Edit added: I meant the 'Ahem' Yoga Knight... The Warden looks like it will be amazing as well.