PDA

View Full Version : Assault Marines - what to do?

Tomgar
03-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Hey folks! I find myself in posession of a squad of assault marines (10 dudes with 2 flamers and a power sword) but no idea which of my two armies they'd be best suited for. That's (hopefully) where you guys come in!

On the one hand they could go with my Templars where they'd make a terrifying wall of close combat death when combined with my 20-man crusader blob with Chaplain and 15-man crusader squad in a LRC with Helbrecht. The sheer scale of damage that those three squads could put out (especially with Helbrecht giving them furious charge with his Warlord Trait and Hatred with his Crusade of Wrath rule) is pretty epic and it would be fluffy and just plain awesome to do. A coordinated charge with those 3 squads at different targets could wipe out most enemy infantry in a single assault phase.

On the other hand, I run a very shooty Dark Angels army (mostly Greenwing with a few Deathwing Squads) and thus find a gap in my army for a dedicated CC unit. My DA tend to perform pretty well and win a fair amount of games but assaults are a big weakness for them and they tend to get shredded in CC by the Chaos-heavy meta at my local store (if enemy assault units manage to weather the hail of firepower). So I definitely see a place for an assault squad to act as a fast-moving tarpit to tie up stuff like Khorne Berserkers that are a big problem for my otherwise very shooty list. It'd keep my scoring tac squads and plasma devastators safe and it would mean my Termies don't have to run over and put an end to it before I end up with no scoring units at all.

Bit of a dilemma, so I'm putting it to the public. Whaddya think? Devastating army-wide asssault or defensive assault marines warding enemy CC troops away from my gunline?

kharne690
03-02-2014, 10:17 PM
well I normally like to make my armys very specialized. So I would go with the all close combat Templars. Ya assault is not as strong in 6th but if you can focus at getting everything into combat fast you will still do alright.

vharing
03-02-2014, 11:09 PM
I would say the templars but give them a chaplain too. It will help them hit a bit harder. I am a BA player and value the chaplain/assault squad combo.

Blood Shadow
03-03-2014, 02:06 AM
If you're not fussed about which army then how about a squad of allied Blood Angels?

Get a Recclusiarch and a sanguinary priest or Astorath and ally them to either army, they'd be likely to have fearless and furious charge as well as being a scoring unit that can DS using DOA. If you're running assault squads, may as well have them score?!

Anggul
03-03-2014, 04:39 AM
Assault Marines aren't much good as an assault unit in most armies, I think you have the right idea with the DA, use them as a counter-measure.

Tomgar
03-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Some cool ideas in here guys, thanks! Never considered something like BA allies before and it's actually pretty intriguing! It'd allow me to have 3 HQs sub-2000pts and I could use them with both armies. Me like. Also, it'd let me reenact the Angels of Death expansion from 2nd ed if I ran them with my DA :P

I'm definitely getting that I should be sticking a Chaplain in there, no matter what army he's in so I'll do that as soon as I'm able.

Thanks for the advice, got a lot more to think about!