PDA

View Full Version : The Knight Houses

ElectricPaladin
03-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Out of sheer impatience, I want to have a central store of all the information we already have on the Knight Houses. If you're - like me - incredibly impatient to start painting but want to know more about the Houses first, this might be a diverting exercise.

If you have more info, post it below and I'll add it to the OP.

Imperial Houses

House Cadmus
• Character: Newly independent

House Degallio

House Griffith
• Colors: Bone with Blue and Red, Silver Trim
• Heraldry: Winged shield with a dragon on one side and half an aquila on the other.

House Hawkshroud
• Colors: Yellow and White w/Silver Trim
• Heraldry: Winged hawk coat of arms.
• Symbol: Hawk with its wing blocking its body.
• Character: Answers every call for assistance.

House Mortan

House Terryn
• Colors: Blue and Red w/Gold Trim
• Heraldry: Winged shield with a horse on one side and half an aquila on the other.

Mechanicus Houses

House Krast
• Symbol: Gauntled Hand crushing a Snake
• Character: Hates Chaos and the Chaos Titan Legions, brings Chaos heroes they capture back to their poisoned homeworld to die.

House Raven
• Colors: Red w/Hazard Chevrons
• Heraldry: Starburst behind a cog-shaped shield with the opus mechanicus on one side and their symbol on the other.
• Symbol: Triangular tower with the sun behind it.
• Character: The largest house

House Trainor

House Vulker

House Taranis
• Character: Fought alongside the loyal Mechanicus on Mars during the Horus Heresy.

Known Freeblades

Amaranthine
• Colors: Burgundy w/Gold Trim
• Symbol: The letter "X" and vine motifs

Auric Arachnus
• Character: Fought alongside the Ultramarines.

Crimson Reaper

The Firebrand
• Colors: Flame Motif w/Silver Trim
• Symbol: Burning Stick
• Character: Hot-headed and aggressive.

Klorian Saiche
• Colors: Burgundy w/Gold Trim
• Character: Stranded after the end of a war, negotiated with the Mechanicus to return home.

Gerantius
• Colors: Green w/Gold Trim
• Symbol: Barred gate/helmet thing.

Madrigal
• Colors: Purple w/Gold Trim
• Symbol: Skeletal Aquila
• Character: Protects his dead homeworld after failing to protect it from chaos.

The Obsidian Knight
• Colors: Black w/Silver Trim

Retribution Incarnate
• Colors: White and Red w/Silver Trim
• Character: Seeking revenge for his brother's death.

The White Warden
• Colors: White w/Gold Trim and some Yellow
• Symbol: Black sword on a white and yellow background.

ElectricPaladin
03-02-2014, 11:41 AM
I edited the OP to put House Taranis in there.

Also... is it just me, or is Hawkshroud the "nobody in their right mind will paint this thing" house? Yellow and white? What were they thinking?

Dalleron
03-02-2014, 01:16 PM
a lot of white red and yellow in those paint schemes it seems. Most definitely wouldn't paint them up like that were I to get one. But an airbrush could make it easier.

MajorWesJanson
03-02-2014, 02:58 PM

Also... is it just me, or is Hawkshroud the "nobody in their right mind will paint this thing" house? Yellow and white? What were they thinking?

Basecoat it white, and the new GW yellows and whites work quite well compared to the old ones.

SaveModifier
03-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Hawkshround has been the only official scheme to catch my eye so far, looks really nice, I'm going to wait to get my hands on the Companion, has a sneaky flick through one on Saturday and its a gorgeous book, a real coffee table art book style, its a lot wider than the codicies and quality wise more like a Forge World book, its really lovely.

Ezaviel
03-02-2014, 05:19 PM

It mostly makes me twitch because Yellow and White together are a no-no in real world Heraldry ;)

ElectricPaladin
03-02-2014, 05:21 PM
It mostly makes me twitch because Yellow and White together are a no-no in real world Heraldry ;)

Well, it is 38000 years in the future... :D

Mind if I ask why? I wouldn't say that I'm a heraldry buff - I'm American, Jewish, and an angry peasant as far back as its possible to trace one's ancestry - but now I'm curious.

templarboy
03-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Well, it is 38000 years in the future... :D

Mind if I ask why? I wouldn't say that I'm a heraldry buff - I'm American, Jewish, and an angry peasant as far back as its possible to trace one's ancestry - but now I'm curious.

Metal colours (white and yellow) were not put over each other because it is hard to see them. Heraldry started as a way to identify people. Metal on non-metal and vice versa is the way it was done in British heraldry.

daboarder
03-02-2014, 06:20 PM
You're missing one....it starts with D......What is it? can't remember.....

The Imperial Fist
03-02-2014, 06:27 PM

I shall be, but I am not in my right mind. This Knight in particular, because the Fists awarded it honour markings. Though my armour pieces are still on the frame waiting Army Painter yellow spray...

The Imperial Fist
03-02-2014, 06:43 PM

If you want something to put against Taranis they fought a Traitor Tian Legion during the war on Mars, almost to their own destruction, and were the ones who hunted down and killed the Dark Mechanicus' Kaban Machine.

Perhaps, but the white is mostly on different plates to the yellow, either seperate or next to black.

ElectricPaladin
03-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Well, if you can make Hawkshroud work, maybe I'll give it a shot. I find their fluff - what little we know of it - compelling.

Beamo
03-02-2014, 09:20 PM
House Griffith appears to be a bone/cream as the primary with a red secondary - heraldry is in white and black on a cerulean field looks like.

sparti67
03-02-2014, 09:37 PM
I am going house Stark. "Winter is coming..."

Lucidum
03-02-2014, 09:55 PM
I remember Epic Knights, so I’m using old Noble House Mortimer, 76287629 Barring the possibility of them being a Genestealer cult (given their sigil), I envision them as basically Imperial-aligned dragon slayers (except…y’know…with Tyranid bio-monstrosities).

ElectricPaladin
03-02-2014, 10:05 PM
House Griffith appears to be a bone/cream as the primary with a red secondary - heraldry is in white and black on a cerulean field looks like.

Thanks. Done!

ElectricPaladin
03-02-2014, 10:06 PM
I remember Epic Knights, so I’m using old Noble House Mortimer, 76287629 Barring the possibility of them being a Genestealer cult (given their sigil), I envision them as basically Imperial-aligned dragon slayers (except…y’know…with Tyranid bio-monstrosities).

The royal family of Great Britain doesn't worship lions - House Mortimer doesn't have to worship the 'Nids. Sometimes an animal's presence on your coat of arms represents your victory over it, rather than your adulation of it.

daboarder
03-02-2014, 10:09 PM
funny thing about 40k, its very open ended...ya know, draw your own conclusions and all that.

Lucidum
03-02-2014, 10:15 PM
The royal family of Great Britain doesn't worship lions - House Mortimer doesn't have to worship the 'Nids. Sometimes an animal's presence on your coat of arms represents your victory over it, rather than your adulation of it.

…that’s….literally what I said. That I envision them as slayers of Tyranids rather than aligned with them.

ElectricPaladin
03-02-2014, 10:15 PM
…that’s….literally what I said. That I envision them as slayers of Tyranids rather than aligned with them.

Yeah. I'm agreeing with you!

Lucidum
03-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Yeah. I'm agreeing with you!

Oh okay, lol my bad. But yeah, I’ll start up my project log for them on here soon, I bought 3 Knights to start.

ElectricPaladin
03-02-2014, 10:27 PM
...I bought 3 Knights to start.

Man... I wish I had the cash for that. Just one for me, for now.

Deadlift
03-03-2014, 01:58 AM
I'm going to go Freeblades I think, I built my 1st one last night but left off the armoured plates. Still undecided on if I will make my own Freeblades or go with what we know. Either way I haven't been this motivated in a long time.

Patrick Boyle
03-03-2014, 10:37 PM
I'm planning on doing mine House Raven. Mostly because for some reason the Hazard stripe pattern really catches my eye. If I ever did Chaos Marines they'd almost certainly be Iron Warriors for the same reason, really. The Mechanicus alignment makes sense for tagging along with my Blood Ravens though(the old Index Astartes article talks about them having close ties with the mechanicus as they're always out looking for artifacts, often joining explorator fleets), and the name is just a happy coincidence, both of those aspects sealing the deal.

ElectricPaladin
03-03-2014, 10:57 PM
Either way I haven't been this motivated in a long time.

It's great to read that! I was bummed when I read that you weren't finding the hobby satisfying anymore, and I'm happy that you've found your muse again.

Deadlift
03-04-2014, 01:30 AM
It's great to read that! I was bummed when I read that you weren't finding the hobby satisfying anymore, and I'm happy that you've found your muse again.

Cheers matey :D. I will post some pics up when the 1st ones done.

jonsgot
03-04-2014, 04:17 AM
I'm just starting with one, even with an airbrush, taking one more than one would be my painting time gone for the rest of the year. This has made me do some more work on my Storm Eagle and Warhound. Just waiting for the end of the month to feel I've saved up enough pocket money for one of these bad boys.
I'll be painting mine in House Lunar colours(my own) which will be like the blue and yellow Forge World Warhound, which is similar to the GW poster Knights, but the blue is Darker. I can't remember their house name right now. Should clash awfully with my Green Morning Stars Warhound lol.

Thomas Anthony Borja
03-16-2014, 07:03 PM
here's a link to one of the guys I play and what his Hawkshroud looks like
http://www.dicetossers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=376.15
if it doesn't go through I'll just save the picture and post but I'm in a food coma right now. Also I'm going with Griffith but their secondary is the blue, the red comes with one of the colors to show imperial allegiance. I was thinking about Cadmus and fitting a large nid's head/skull over the IK head, or adorning it with nid parts, to tie in the hunting mixed with their previous allegiance to grypheon IV (spelling) but I didn't feel like doing green and yellow

Thomas Anthony Borja
03-16-2014, 07:12 PM
also some house updates

Cadmus: they have an annual hunt on their home planet and usually on downtime in campaigns. The winner of the annual hunt is considered the head of the house. Their forge world was Gryphonne IV until the hive fleet attack it, they helped defend it and suffered many loses.

Griffith: They used to have dragons on their planet, they also joust riding genetically altered horse like creatures.

Hawkshroud: like you already have, they answer any call. They also hold their "word" in high esteem and if any knight cannot complete their mission/quest or refuses to keep their honor they reviewed and if they are dishonored they are turned into freeblades and banished

Crimson Reaper: Like most freeblades, he comes out of the shadows of space to help fight, the major difference is he has zero disregard of friendly forces, i.E. if theirs a nid beast that is a major threat he will charge the monster even if it means running over the platoon of imperial guard in his way. Also when he leaves his knight he wears a full head helmet, like racer x from speed racer.

ElectricPaladin
03-16-2014, 07:17 PM
Hawkshroud: like you already have, they answer any call. They also hold their "word" in high esteem and if any knight cannot complete their mission/quest or refuses to keep their honor they reviewed and if they are dishonored they are turned into freeblades and banished

On the flipside, if keeping your word requires you to screw off into outer space and spend years tromping around with some Space Marines or a Guard regiment, you can do it without going Freeblade. They call them the "Oathsworn."

This Dave
03-17-2014, 07:39 AM
I have the probably insane idea to make up one as a Freeblade. But I plan to lean more towards a ronin motif. This assumes I get the cash together to buy one in the first place and don't get distracted by another shiny object first. :)

Ursa
03-19-2014, 03:27 AM
I'm doing six. Three freeblades (for allying purpose) and 3 of hawkshroud (really like the fluff). Got one freeblade (the Black Rook) 80% done. Got second still on spruces.

The_Gonk
03-31-2014, 03:09 PM
This thread is awesome! I picked a Knight up the other day and now need to decide on the House/Scheme etc. and assemble it.

I think I'm going to go for the, IMHO, more Titan looking head on the bottom right on the back of the box. Good Times!

Darren Richardson
04-01-2014, 05:50 AM
has anyone checked out FW new Bulletin Bulletin (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/News/FORGE_WORLD_BULLETIN_10.html)

they are showing another Knight varient

LordGrise
04-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Okies, I'm un-knowing on this subject (much more gentle phrasing than 'ignorant', no?) so pardon me if I'm asking basic questions.

Anyone who knows me (or my handle here) knows I play Tau pretty much exclusively. Recently, (last year or so) I started investing in IG (now AM, I guess) and making them into gue'vasa. I really like the overall looks of the Knights - I can do w/o the smokestacks, but that's just me - and I'm wondering what the ally chart has to say about a freeblade hanging out with my Commander LongShot and his Force Echo?

Second question I have is one of fluff. Are all current knights ancient artifacts from long ago, or are new ones being made somewhere? and if they are still being made, who's doing the making?

DWest
04-07-2014, 07:21 PM
A1) Knights and Tau are Desperate Allies; so you can have one, but keep it away from your main line (which it probably will be anyway).

A2) The Knights are definitely still in current production, and they're built at several major Forge Worlds, as well as some production/major repairs being done on the Knight Worlds themselves. The decal sheet that comes with the Knight kit has two manufacturer's stamps to put on the Knight, one which says "Mars M.40" and the other which says "Metallica M.39".

This Dave
04-08-2014, 07:58 AM
As Desperate Allies with Tau the Knight will do nothing on a 1 on 6 chance each turn. Not awful but not something you probably want to spend nearly 400 points on.

LordGrise
04-08-2014, 08:08 AM
Gah. Guess I'm not buying any.

This Dave
04-08-2014, 09:14 AM
You could use a Knight as an ally to your evil traitor Gue'vasa. Apparently they're perfectly fine helping those guys out as long as there are no Tau units around.

LordGrise
04-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Your pardon, gracious worthy, but our Gue'vasa are anything but evil - they are loyal, courageous, and remain faithful to the God-Emperor in spirit and in deed. They stand between us all - the Empire of Mankind and the Concordiat of the Tau both - and the darkness, and we hope they will provide an example that all might follow in the Future. The Greater Good is not exclusionary, you know. Your Commissar Cain is an excellent example...

Rules-wise, I'm kinda in limbo here, Dave. On the one hand, fluff-wise, Gue'vasa are definitely part of the Tau... but rules-wise, the only options for playing Gue'vasa are either as Allied IG (I guess AM now?), which means allies of convenience - or as stand-as Tau, which lets me claim Battle Brothers status (I can use my markerlights) but denies me all the melee units and Commissars. Since I built my humies with Tau pulse carbines, I pay for them as Fire Warriors. I have some Tau-refurbed Sentinels that I play as counts-as Crisis Suits in the same way. I don't have many vehicles yet.

Theme-wise, I don't see why an orphaned Freeblade or an impoverished House on the Mechanicus poopie-list might turn to the Tau for maintenance and parts, esp if they knew about Riptides...

This Dave
04-09-2014, 09:39 AM
Your pardon, gracious worthy, but our Gue'vasa are anything but evil - they are loyal, courageous, and remain faithful to the God-Emperor in spirit and in deed. They stand between us all - the Empire of Mankind and the Concordiat of the Tau both - and the darkness, and we hope they will provide an example that all might follow in the Future. The Greater Good is not exclusionary, you know. Your Commissar Cain is an excellent example...

Rules-wise, I'm kinda in limbo here, Dave. On the one hand, fluff-wise, Gue'vasa are definitely part of the Tau... but rules-wise, the only options for playing Gue'vasa are either as Allied IG (I guess AM now?), which means allies of convenience - or as stand-as Tau, which lets me claim Battle Brothers status (I can use my markerlights) but denies me all the melee units and Commissars. Since I built my humies with Tau pulse carbines, I pay for them as Fire Warriors. I have some Tau-refurbed Sentinels that I play as counts-as Crisis Suits in the same way. I don't have many vehicles yet.

Theme-wise, I don't see why an orphaned Freeblade or an impoverished House on the Mechanicus poopie-list might turn to the Tau for maintenance and parts, esp if they knew about Riptides...

Okay they're not evil, just misguided. Perhaps if they all went through this blue door and wait in that room they can explain themselves to the nice man in the robe... :)

According to the Codex and Companion Freeblade Knights aren't mercenaries or such. They're either the last of their House going out in a blaze of glory, one that hates courtly life and wants to stay in battle, or one that's taken a vow or oath to do some task. I'm not even going to get into the ones that may just be rogue Machine Spirits running the things. They're all still bound by vows and codes of loyalty and honor as well as some mental conditioning so I couldn't see one joining the Tau voluntarily.

That being said I really like the way your Gue'vasa army sounds and in friendly games I couldn't see any problem at all with a renegade Knight joining your army. Officially though because of the allies thing if you have any Tau units you'll have to deal with the Desperate Allies thing, though the 1 in 6 inaction might be due to poor maintenance or possibly Machine Spirit rebellion at serving with xenos rather than the pilot watching for treachery.

Thomas Anthony Borja
04-13-2014, 09:59 PM
It's only required a D6 roll if he's within 6 inches of the tau units, which depending on how you run your tau this can easily be avoided if most of your tau hang back or converge on different ends of the field, but it's not to terrible of a gimp as long as you pay attentiom to a 6 inch halo to not make the d6 roll, that being said, I'm pretty sure if you play with friends no one will call you on it as long as you give em a heads up.

Lore-wise maybe a freeblade would help, but there is a deepsense of loyalty, towards their feudalism, that being said there were many knightworlds dead or still lost so whos to say that one of these knight worlds were not in tau space, with the Nobels agreeing to joins the Tau, If you win the nobels their planets will follow regardless