PDA

View Full Version : Do Ork Meks in Loota units count as characters for Precision Shots/Strikes?

SquigBrain
02-25-2014, 01:45 PM
So, you buy a unit of Lootas, and make two of them mekboys with big shootas. Do they get precision shots?

Yes - They have a separate profile line in the codex.

No - The rulebook FAQ says Nobs become type Character when they lead a unit, but doesn't mention meks.

Any thoughts?

Houghten
02-26-2014, 01:44 AM
If the FAQ doesn't mention Mekboyz, then the ruling in the BRB Appendix "Profiles" still stands. Mekboyz are In(Ch), therefore they are characters.

Dave Mcturk
02-26-2014, 05:37 AM
but why ... in general... would you change a st7 2 or 3 shot 48" vap loota for at best a 5/5 36" mek ??

Mr.Pickelz
02-26-2014, 08:56 AM
The reasoning behind the FAQ statement about Nobz is to eliminate the Unit of Nobz counting as Characters. Same goes with Paladins and Wolf Guard for GK's and SW's.

SquigBrain
02-26-2014, 09:34 AM
but why ... in general... would you change a st7 2 or 3 shot 48" vap loota for at best a 5/5 36" mek ??

Well, I realize it may not be the most effective choice...but I would be doing it for the precision shots rule, the repair chance, to accept challenges if necessary, and mostly because I just want to model up an ork sniper. :)

SaveModifier
02-26-2014, 12:23 PM
I think people take Meks because the box comes with a mek for every 4 Lootas, its very annoying

SquigBrain
02-26-2014, 12:29 PM

Also, he just *might* be manning a quad gun. :P

SquigBrain
02-26-2014, 12:39 PM
An ork character on a quad gun might be the best sniper there is.

Low BS + Twin Linked = more rerolls, which equates to more chances to roll a six.

Four shots, on average, your BS2 hits with one of them, which gives you three re-rolls for a total of 7 chances to get a six, so you should be pulling off about 1 Precision shot per turn.

Dave Mcturk
02-26-2014, 03:01 PM
loota packs are gr8 though .. all those extra bits...

i tend to run 42 lootas when im being cheesy...

but if you end up with spare guns they are great for making snazzgitz and meganobs

Bambi
02-27-2014, 12:57 AM
Meks can have their uses if you are running lootas or burnas in a transport (particularly in a battlewagon). I also sometimes run a couple with lootas behind an aegis defence line next to a looted wagon with boom gun. Whilst their BS is rubbish i've played a couple of games where my meks have taken out a vehicle with lucky kustom mega blasta shots (always funny to see your opponents face when that one happens).

Dave Mcturk
02-27-2014, 06:21 AM
think the blue moon in the sky was a warning ! :p

{statistically the mek is more likely to kill itself... another great example of rules writing}

Bambi
02-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Sometimes desperate circumstances call for desperate measures, and anyway they're orks, I play them because I have embraced their frailties and enjoy their lunacy. Not everyone plays just to win you're allowed to have a bit of fun as well.

Dave Mcturk
02-28-2014, 04:54 PM
i love my meks too... big... with a kff and a power claw and cybork armour ...
or sometimes just naked with an oilcan... [35 pts for an hq choice !]

or even when i am feeling random ... a couple with the MAD shokk attack gun

Urtyfang
03-01-2014, 04:08 PM
meks are awesome when running a burna boy squad. By changing one to a mek with a big shoota you keep your 36" wound allocation range. Or if nothing else if you have 3 you can keep challenging to tie up their character so you don't lose as many orks.

SaveModifier
03-03-2014, 04:48 AM
meks are awesome when running a burna boy squad. By changing one to a mek with a big shoota you keep your 36" wound allocation range. Or if nothing else if you have 3 you can keep challenging to tie up their character so you don't lose as many orks.

Thats not how wound allocation works,

Nabterayl
03-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Thats not how wound allocation works,
Yes, it is. A target model is only "out of range," and thus un-killable, if it is out of range of every firing model.

Dave Mcturk
03-04-2014, 05:36 AM
another great example of classy well thought out rules writing, logically flamers and template weapons should ONLY be able able to KILL models under their template... it is after all pretty much how higher technology template weapons work... and as for flamers firing overwatch from the rear of a unit ... oh my...

John Bower
03-04-2014, 07:21 AM
True but so many rules don't make sense from a realism perspective, but are there for 'balance', *cough, cough* in a game. Take snipers, if you were to check the kill ratio of real snipers you'd soon realise their BS is around 9 not 3 or 4. And a guy with double his opponents WS would not be hitting 66% of the time, he'd kill them off the bat, without blinking. It would be like me trying to fight a Tiger with a knife, the tiger would be too quick and strong and would kill me before I got a blow in.

And on the subject of snipers, you should never, not ever in any way get a 'look out Sir' from a sniper shot.

SaveModifier
03-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Yes, it is. A target model is only "out of range," and thus un-killable, if it is out of range of every firing model.

Only if you're a beardy, RAW ****-wit

Dave Mcturk
03-04-2014, 09:14 AM
"And on the subject of snipers, you should never, not ever in any way get a 'look out Sir' from a sniper shot."

think this one is supposed to portray the 'bending over to tie up his shoelaces' effect...

and yes am having this argument at the moment... most elite snipers should be BS 10 if static and in cover... and at least 48" range

and the WS/WS table just needs to go down to '2's along the front line for it to make a huge difference for higher WS characters...

Urtyfang
03-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Only if you're a beardy, RAW ****-wit

You do remember before that faq, flamers could wipe out an entire unit regardless of distance right? so by limiting it to the maximum distance of the unit they did reduce the range of flamers.

what you're saying is in essence: maximum range of the unit is lame, they should be unlimited like before.

Dave Mcturk
03-05-2014, 08:06 AM
because everyone runs mothlike towards the flame ?... flamethrowers are great for clearing bunkers/buildings/ trenches where the weapon effect is magnified by being in an enclosed space, out in the 'open' they tend to ignite things 'nearest' and have far less effect on things 'further away'... in essence the template is almost the 'wrong way round'...