PDA

View Full Version : Red Hunter Allies?

xTHExCLINCHERx
02-24-2014, 12:39 PM
I'm primarily a Iron Hands/Clan Raukaan player, and am getting the chance to try some of the Forge World Chapter Tactics, so I figured I'd put together a list using an allied detachment of Red Hunters.

Overview of Red Hunters Chapter Tactics:
- Adamantium Will
- Battle Brothers with GK and SoB
- Once per game, activate one of the following special rules for the number of units equal to the turn num (so if it's turn 3, 3 units can get Skyfire for instance): Skyfire, Tank Hunter, Monster Hunter, Counter Attack, or Hatred.

Here's the list so far:

Primary (Clan Raukaan)
Chapter Master - bike, art. armor, gorgon's chain, axe of medusa, digital weaps.
Scout Squad - 10x bolters
Tactical Squad - 10 man total, plas, combi-plas, rhino
Stormtalon - skyhammers
TFC x2

Inquisition
Coteaz

Fortification
Aegis - quad gun

Allies (Red Hunters)
Captain - bike, artificer armor, power fist, storm shield, combi-grav
Command Squad - bikes, apothecary, 4x grav
Bike Squad - 6 man total, 2x grav, combi-grav, melta bombs
Devastator Squad - 6 man total, 4x lascannon

So the thought is that the chapter master, captain and command squad ride together up the field. Coteaz and the Red Hunters dev squad behind the aegis, I'll be able to get 4 lascannons to be tank, monster of flier hunters, with divination blessings. Also, the versatility of the Red Hunters Chapter Tactics would allow me to also give these bonuses to the bike squad or command squad, which could be huge on turn 2 or further into the game.

I am feeling like the versatility of the Red Hunters is really awesome... anyone have feedback on the list? Has anyone tried them on the table at all?

Chanderzz
02-26-2014, 06:52 AM
Slightly off-topic but are Red Hunters just Codex: SM with FW Chapter Tactics or do you have to take things from an Imperial Armour list?

Aaron LeClair
02-26-2014, 08:19 AM
Slightly off-topic but are Red Hunters just Codex: SM with FW Chapter Tactics or do you have to take things from an Imperial Armour list?
Just Codex. Space Marines with their own chapter tactics and able to be bffs with GKs and super friend zoned by sisters

SON OF ROMULOUS
02-26-2014, 08:32 AM
i have an issues with taking red hunters along side of iron hands. not a fluff issues but honestly on of the things about the red hunters is their ability to take GK and Sisters... neither of which you have done. Your basically bringing them to run bikers which well no offense but white scars will do better much better. With that in mind maybe you can explain why your taking red hunter's then?

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
02-26-2014, 09:11 AM
Well, Red Hunters do seem pretty great as a small, allied detachment. Their Chapter Tactics is all about "small benefit for most of the game, large benefit for a few units in a single turn."

If only a handful of units are actually Red Hunters, only a small portion of the army suffers the downside of their Chapter Tactics, while still getting the most out of the upside.

Chanderzz
02-26-2014, 10:08 AM
I've been looking at taking these for a fluff army, take Draigo and some palas for a melee powerhouse, then bring these as allies to bring the heavy weapons that my GK cant bring. Thought about maybe even painting a sternguard squad as Deathwatch.

...bring all the fluff.

SON OF ROMULOUS
02-26-2014, 10:35 AM
not really they get adamantium will the entire game and then for one turn they get to use one of the special rules listed... the longer you wait the more unit's can use the trait but it's one use and you almost have to play it during a later phase to actually get any use out of it. not to mention 3 of the units are bike mounted.... white scars would be a much better allied detatchment.

skyfire on bikers? what the point its boltguns and grav guns. skyfire on the devs? ok so you pop it turn 2 and give the other skyfire to what? counterattack? their bikers you really don't want them in combat they are a mobile firepower unit not a combat unit. monster hunter tank hunters? for what you have one dev squad... their aren't enough unit to make the trait even worth while. and with that many bikes white scars give them the most benefits.

The benefit of Red hunters is that they are currently the only SM army that can take Sisters and GK as battle brothers instead of allies of convienence.. you can easily use them to run a core of power armoured troops supported by deads paladins terminators or coteaz or any inquisitor and their battle brothers...

xTHExCLINCHERx
02-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Well, the main thinking was that I am running Iron Hands anyway, because that's just what I play, and while I understand the benefits of their ally matrix exceptions, the main reason for the Red Hunters is to give the grav squads monster hunter on turn 2 (which is nasty on the command squad) or Skyfire to the Devastator squad on my first turn for a flying MC if I go second, or on turn 2 for their fliers entering.

I won't debate the power of the White Scar bikers, it's just not what I'm looking to run for a chapter.