PDA

View Full Version : New Knights army.

kharne690
02-23-2014, 11:47 PM
So I am wondering what people think will be the best combination of Knight titans ? Looking for feedback on running 2000 points as their own army assuming we will get the rumored 5 different types.

ElectricPaladin
02-23-2014, 11:53 PM
Most of your force should be paladins. Paladins are highly versatile. They are the work-horses of your army. They kill more infantry, they do it from far away, and enough of them can work together to do the job of a single errant (ie. killing AV 14, because while the errant can easily pen AV 14, enough paladins working together can glance it to death.)

Errants, on the other hand, are your highly specialized tank-killers. You want them as insurance against AV 14.

Honestly, I think that you want one errant and the rest of your army should be paladins. If you really love errants, I'd go for a 3:1 or 2:1 paladins:errants ratio.

daboarder
02-24-2014, 12:02 AM
so whats the difference between the knight houses, mechanicum and freeblade variations? so they have actual rules differences as far as we know?

as to army, I'd say a single errant till 1500

then 2 at 1850-2000

rest paladins

kharne690
02-24-2014, 12:04 AM
I don't think we have seen any rumored rules for the different houses.

kharne690
02-24-2014, 12:04 AM
What about the baron and the lancer variants that have been rumored?

ElectricPaladin
02-24-2014, 12:05 AM
...assuming we will get the rumored 5 different types.

Hey, I'm sorry, I only just saw this.

What rumors are you talking about? Because I read the WD, and there's nothing in there about anything except for the errant and the paladin.

I know. Getting lancers and barons and castellans and wardens and everything would be awesome, but let's not get our hopes up. The only thing we have any actual reason to expect is exactly what we've been promised thus far: a kit that makes an errant and a paladin.

That's it.

My money's on that being all we get. I wouldn't be surprised by, say, a Forgeworld conversion kit so we can make a lancer, or maybe even one of the long-range varieties, but I'm not counting on it.

BrianDavion
02-24-2014, 12:05 AM
so whats the difference between the knight houses, mechanicum and freeblade variations? so they have actual rules differences as far as we know?

my guess is "the paint job"

daboarder
02-24-2014, 12:09 AM
I already think taking the spare rapid fire battleannons from a pair of errants and sticking them on a single knight would look really cool in a mini reaver type way

kharne690
02-24-2014, 12:09 AM
I'm betting on forge world kits as well. I'm totally fine with getting some type of forge world arms, or maybe some sort of extra armor to represent the heavy versions.

GrauGeist
02-24-2014, 12:14 AM
assuming we will get the rumored 5 different types.

That's a safe assumption. We will get all 5 Knight types.

Too bad you'll have to pay Forgeworld for anything but the Paladin and Crusader...

GrauGeist
02-24-2014, 12:15 AM
Errants, on the other hand, are your highly specialized tank-killers. You want them as insurance against AV 14.

Why? With a A3 (+1 charging), that'll be 3 or 4 S(D) hits - enough to break any WS1 tank.

kharne690
02-24-2014, 12:52 AM
I think killing av14 at range is extremely important. When you have an army of 5 walkers you cant afford to let a group of thunder hammer terminators get close.

daboarder
02-24-2014, 01:05 AM
pfft, these things carve through TH SS terminators and laugh. Dweapon at I4....bye bye

I'd be more worried about lasher maulerfiends, decreasing your WS and then ripping you appart.

Tyrendian
02-24-2014, 04:43 AM
pfft, these things carve through TH SS terminators and laugh. Dweapon at I4....bye bye

I'd be more worried about lasher maulerfiends, decreasing your WS and then ripping you appart.

yeah... then again, those are not nearly as tough to shoot to bits as Hammernators...
might we even see some Deathwing Knights? because those will kill one Knight VERY dead, and at initiative to boot...

Badtucker
02-24-2014, 05:31 AM
via Jes Bickham (who is the editor of White Dwarf) on GW Digital Facebook
Some clarification on the rules we presented in White Dwarf today for some folks here: the Imperial Knights don't occupy any force organisation slots, they are not Lords of War, they are an army unto themselves. Something we forgot to say is that all Imperial Knights are scoring units, and if you're playing 3-6 as a primary detachment, pick one as your Warlord.

So no, id say multi varients looks really unlikly atm ( until FW bring out their own kind) Saying that there may be rules for mechanicum/knight houses/ freeblades that make them out as being different. oh and probably a warlord chart.

Deadlift
02-24-2014, 05:43 AM
X 3 Paladins
X 1 Errant

1495 pts

That's a list right there :)

Maybe not über competitive, but that's not my thing anyway.

PaD
02-24-2014, 08:04 AM
X 3 Paladins
X 1 Errant

1495 pts
Typical tournament player type list. Spamming the same unit three times... You should be ashamed of yourself! ;)

ElectricPaladin
02-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Why? With a A3 (+1 charging), that'll be 3 or 4 S(D) hits - enough to break any WS1 tank.

I think killing av14 at range is extremely important. When you have an army of 5 walkers you cant afford to let a group of thunder hammer terminators get close.

Thanks Kharne690. That's basically it - you want to be able to kill AV 14 with shooting, not just with combat. Sometimes you just don't want to be committed to dragging your giant metal butt out of wherever you're chilling to go be in melee somewhere. I mean, heck, look at the pricetag on these things... if an opponent has to sacrifice a land raider to lure one of these out to where he can kill it, that's actually a fair trade.

GrauGeist
02-24-2014, 11:51 AM
The Knight is a pretty fast mover, ignores terrain. If there's a lot of AV14 to crack, they can start up front and just wade in.

If it's a single Land Raider? Eh. 2 Twin-Las isn't a big deal. I'd watch out for Vendettas and massed Necrons.

ElectricPaladin
02-24-2014, 12:20 PM
The Knight is a pretty fast mover, ignores terrain. If there's a lot of AV14 to crack, they can start up front and just wade in.

If it's a single Land Raider? Eh. 2 Twin-Las isn't a big deal. I'd watch out for Vendettas and massed Necrons.

Well, that's a choice. Personally, I'd like to have at least one errant at 1500 or more, just to be safe.

kharne690
02-24-2014, 12:34 PM
I think I agree with E.P. on this one. Paladins are going to be your all around killing machine but it will be important to have one errant.

Eberk
02-24-2014, 01:44 PM
I think I agree with E.P. on this one. Paladins are going to be your all around killing machine but it will be important to have one errant.
My main enemy is an IG player (lots of Leman Russes). I'll thus start with an Errant and add Paladins along the way :)

Alex Aggro
02-24-2014, 03:38 PM
So um...is it just me, or do the knights have absolutely no way to damage fliers? They have the heavy stubber, but that won't do anything to a flier at higher than AV10. Both the big guns are blasts, which don't affect fliers. This might get addressed by the unreleased Knight variant that will be purchased from a $30 dataslate.

Deadlift
02-24-2014, 03:48 PM
With the info that a codex is coming next week, what's the bets they will be able to upgrade to sky fire ?

ElectricPaladin
02-24-2014, 04:00 PM
With the info that a codex is coming next week, what's the bets they will be able to upgrade to sky fire ?

I won't bet. I think there are too many variables. That said, I, too, hope for a knight variant that can shoot flyers. I'll play it with my poor, sad, no-skyfire-or-flyers-in-the-entire-codex Sororitas.

daboarder
02-24-2014, 04:20 PM
this whole thing reaks of deliberate obfuscation to push the model sales by GW.

Maelstorm
02-24-2014, 05:41 PM
Alas my friend: 6 Necron Harbinger of the Storm Crypteks delivered by 3 Night Scythes = 3 Dead Knights per turn.

Quick and easy hard-counter.

Unless the bestow them with both Interceptor and Skyfire.

This Dave
02-24-2014, 06:31 PM
So um...is it just me, or do the knights have absolutely no way to damage fliers? They have the heavy stubber, but that won't do anything to a flier at higher than AV10. Both the big guns are blasts, which don't affect fliers. This might get addressed by the unreleased Knight variant that will be purchased from a $30 dataslate.

Actually, many Superheavies lack an effective Flyer defence on their own. Most Titan weapon options are Blast as well and things like the Vulcan Mega Bolter can at best glance AV 12 ground attack planes. Baneblades can throw a couple Lascannon shots and some Heavy Bolter shots but the chances of hitting with the Lascannons or damaging with the Heavy Bolters are slim.

Either ignore the Flyer and trust in the Ion Shield, armor, and the Omnissiah to keep the Knights safe or deploy allied AAA or Flyers of your own for cover.

daboarder
02-24-2014, 06:52 PM
which is nice and a good balance to what they do to ground units in my opinion. Its very much like tanks today.

George Labour
02-24-2014, 09:32 PM
At 2000 points I've considered 4 knights plus 500 points of guard. This gives me enough points to do two Hydras or two vengeance batters with quad icaruses and some regular infantry. The former provide some AA coverage, while the latter provide some extra scoring units (or all the scoring if this facebook 'errata' gets changed), and some extra speed bumps.

Iyandagar
02-25-2014, 03:04 AM
With the comment about sky fire above all I have to say on that front is Vengeance Weapon Battery, upgrade to a Twin Linked Quad Icarus and that little issue about pesky flyers is taken care of. Then let your knights, sisters or any army you field get down to the business of breaking faces. I run it a lot and it usually earns it's points and some back for me. It's a resilient little soul so shrugs off a lot of damage if people can be bothered to shoot at it. Heck if you've bought the two kits to merge them together then you have enough for two. And it's cheaper than a Nephilim and going to be a pain in anyone's thrust nacelle's....