PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Models to Use as Knights

Chris Copeland
02-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Friends, I LOVE the look of the forthcoming Knights. I will be buying one (or four). I was talking about it with a buddy of mine who was less enthusiastic about the sculpt (I know: I don't get the lack of enthusiasm either). We started talking about what other models out there could be used in place of GW's Knights. I think that the Cygnar Colossal by Privateer could easily be modded to be a Knight. I didn't come up with many other ideas because of the size Knights. Fellow nerds, I know that there have to be some other giant robot models or toys out there that could also be press-ganged into service as Knights. What can y'all think of? Cheers... Cope7507

Chris Copeland
02-22-2014, 08:12 PM
A buddy suggested this model as an alternative sculpt:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=7508&d=1393121515 7508

Chris Copeland
02-22-2014, 08:17 PM
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=7509&d=1393121860Oooh. Here's another: The Dreamforge Leviathan... 7509

Katharon
02-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Except that a Colossal is half as small as a GW Knight...

The Blight Wheel model is only 20 Euros cheaper and so isn't that much of a deal for a lot less detail.

The Dreamforge Leviathan is your best (current) option for alternative as it is the right size and $65 cheaper than the GW-Titan.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
02-22-2014, 08:27 PM
Except that a Colossal is half as small as a GW Knight...I thought the upcoming Knight is 7-8" depending on posing, and the Colossals are 6"? Put a fallen enemy on the base for it to pose on, and it'd be the right height.

Katharon
02-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Nevermind, I was looking at the wrong model stat. The Colossal might be 6", but that's still a significant difference -- not to mention width, etc.

Chris Copeland
02-22-2014, 08:47 PM
I don't get that money is so much my friend's concern... sometimes he's just a contrarian that likes to go out of his way to use non-GW stuff. I am finding out that there are more big mech models out there than I knew there were...

Chris Copeland
02-22-2014, 08:48 PM
The Dreamforge Leviathan really would work...

Katharon
02-22-2014, 08:49 PM
The Dreamforge Leviathan really would work...

Bingo.

Arkhan Land
02-22-2014, 08:59 PM
http://resinlabmodels.blogspot.com/

I have one of these guys kits, theyre near perfect height. I just added two WWII 50 cals to act as the Heavy Stubbers. awaiting a new base then time to battle hopefully in time for this march's apocalypse events near me

7510 there's some pics of the imperial ones here

Katharon
02-22-2014, 09:12 PM
http://resinlabmodels.blogspot.com/

I have one of these guys kits, theyre near perfect height. I just added two WWII 50 cals to act as the Heavy Stubbers. awaiting a new base then time to battle hopefully in time for this march's apocalypse events near me

7510 there's some pics of the imperial ones here

That guy must have seen the future...lol. That said, he'll be getting plenty of business from Chaos players.

bfmusashi
02-22-2014, 11:50 PM
Master Grade gundams are fairly cheap and come in at around the right height. The only problem is they stand upright like Eldar and Tau instead of hunched.

Katharon
02-23-2014, 08:59 AM
Master Grade gundams are fairly cheap and come in at around the right height. The only problem is they stand upright like Eldar and Tau instead of hunched.

From a guy living in Japan, I can tell you that there are cheaper and larger sources than just MG stuff. We'll see how it works out in the coming days.

bfmusashi
02-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Aye, but many of them are kind of a pain to get outside Japan. Gundams are ubiquitous.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
02-24-2014, 04:22 PM
So, the Knight's height has now been amended to 6", changes the field of what will and won't be converted into Knights.

Arkhan Land
02-24-2014, 06:48 PM
That guy must have seen the future...lol. That said, he'll be getting plenty of business from Chaos players.

Hes done three differently detailed sculpts now about 150 casts each run, hes also already made plenty of money before the official model brings down the demand for Non-gw knight titans. I think these things sold well enough given the abundance for stand in rules for them (not withstanding Lords of Battle PDF from BOLS itself) but I expect that those kits are going to see a little bit of a hit in sales or perhaps just not as good a pickup in sales as you would expect for this model's 1st party release, those gw kits are in fact rather nice, and compete with this guy's cost which is about $150 or more (I thankfully got mine from somebody clearing a pair of them out for half price)

Flllyi
02-24-2014, 07:28 PM
That kit looks amazing

enrique
03-02-2014, 04:23 AM
enrique from resinlabmodes:

yes, i admit That will be very hard to compete against a plastic kit (although it is not my goal). I make kits I've dreamed of and I would take my disposal and a few copies for sale to finance and enjoyment of other fans. But I do not care about sales, this is not my problem since I was about to settle the little stock I had left.

I've published a new post on my blog showing the development and photos never before published models:

http://resinlabmodels.blogspot.com

and through my ebay store last'm settling units. The average price of € 150.00 the unit has dropped to 100.00 €.

€ 230.00 and I am offering a lot of three units + a scenic piece that represents a model destroyed in combat. I can only offer 12 lots and I just put on sale the first two

http://www.ebay.es/usr/henrich5

thanks!!! and regards from Spain

Arkhan Land
03-02-2014, 11:21 AM
God I wish I wasn't so broke, thanks for making such a great sculpt.
Has definitely inspired me to want to try my hand at working on my own.

Chris Copeland
03-08-2014, 04:13 AM
Enrique, well done! Nice sculpt!

TheCreator
03-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Did someone say robots?

I think Cygnar is too smooth for an Imperial army.

Models by Kotobukiya:

ARMORED CORE 1/72 GA GAN01 SUNSHINE

Armored Core V Vengeance and Agni

Frame Arms Kagutsuchi

I think these all give a gritter feeling than most mecha. Forbidden Gundam is the only hunchback like model, but it's pretty dorky. Votoms are also an option.