PDA

View Full Version : 2k New Tyranids vs Old Space Marines Battle Report?

timwrightii
02-22-2014, 12:24 AM
Just posted a battle report to our site. You can read it here or check it out with pictures at:
http://www.stupidhammer.com/stupid-blog/2014/2/21/2k-new-tyranids-vs-old-space-marines-battle-report

2k New Tyranids vs Old Space Marines Battle Report?
Yup, you read that right. New Tyranids vs Old Space Marines. Scheduled a game today with Vince from my local club. He had some reservations about spending money a new book. He normally plays Space Wolves but wanted a game in to get a feel for the Space Marines but only had the old book. I'm okay with that, really just looking for a fun game.

I was playing what I feel is fairly competitive Tyranid list. The kind of list that has all the toys I want.

2x Hive Tyrant w/ TL Dev

30x Termagants w/ 20 Dev

4x Warriors 3x Deathspitter, 3x Rending Claws, Barbed Strangler

Troop Tervigon w/ Shreddershard Beetles

Hive Crone

3x Carnifices w/ TL Dev

2x Tyrannofexes w/ Acid Spray and Shreddershard Beetles

Old Space Marines

Captain w/ Artificer Armour

10 man Tactical Squad in Drop Pod

5x 5 man Tactical Squad

10 man Terminator Squad

Dreadnought w/ TL Autocannon and Heavy Flamer in Drop Pod

5 man Legion of the Damned

10 man Assault Squad

6 man Assault Squad

5 man Devastator Squad

Vindicator

Now, nothing against Vince, but if I had more time before the game I we would have definitely helped him tweaked that list. As it was a fun game I didn't even look at his list until the start of my turn 1, Vince had first turn. There were lots of what you might call "mistakes". No weapon upgrades, not even on the Dev squad for example and he didn't drop in his Drop Pods till he was rolling for the reserve rolls on turn 2. I also didn't make sure all of my photos were in focus. Not to worry as I have some great ideas for Battle Reports to come.

If you couldn't tell by the pre-game commentary this was my game to lose.

We rolled Crusade and Hammer and Anvil. I won the roll and let him go first.

I roll +6" Synapse Warlord Trait, Dominion and Onslaught on my Warlord, Paroxysm and Catalyst on my other Tyrant, and Dominion on the Tervigon.

Oh yeah, it was night fight.
His deployment, very aggressive.

My Deployment, also very aggressive. Nothing in reserve. Gants screening the rest of the army. The Trygon is a Tervigon proxy and the unpainted model is a Tyrannofex converted from a Exocrine with a head mounted Acid Spray bio weapon.
My Deployment, also very aggressive. Nothing in reserve. Gants screening the rest of the army. The Trygon is a Tervigon proxy and the unpainted model is a Tyrannofex converted from a Exocrine with a head mounted Acid Spray bio weapon.

His turn one not much happens. He kills 7 gants by lighting them up with the Vindicators Search Light. He also puts a wound on the Carnifices. Lastly he pushes everything forwards.

A few holes from killed gants. No sweat.

All my psychic powers go off except Paroxysm as I am out of range. I Catalyst the gants and Onslaught the Carnifices.

From right to left the Tyrant moves up and eliminates a 5 man squad with 10 wounds caused from 12 shots. Gotta love those devourers. The Tyrannofexes move up and flame a couple squads killing a handful of marines. The gants all push forward to get back into coherency, fire a couple shots, not doing much.

On the left flank between the Carnifices, the Hive Crone and the Warlord they completely whip out both the 10 man Tac squad a 5 man Tac squad. Vicious first turn.

They are everywhere! Hold the line!

His Drop Pods and the Legion come in. The Legion drop in behind the Carnifices, the Drop Pods behind the the gants and Tervigon. The Dreadnought flames 7 and kills 6 gants from the pooped unit. The tac marines shoot at my warriors.

He focuses most of his shooting on my Hive Crone and Tyrant on the right flank. The hive crone takes a few hits, no wounds and passes three grounding checks. The Tyrant takes a hit, no wound but gets grounded. He takes a wound but is too far away to be charged. Lastly the Vindicator puts a wound on a T-fex and kills three more gants. That marks the end of the top of turn 2.

Without heavy weapons the marines are struggling to put on the wounds.

Nid turn 2, we cast all our psychic powers, all go off, Catalyst the gants again, Onslaught the Carnifices again, Paroxysm a Tac squad. The Crone flies over and can just clip the Vindicator for a vector strike. 3 hits, 3 pens, one explodes 2", kills nothing. The Hive Tyrant on the right flank and the crone kill all but one marine in ruins. The Tyrannofexes kill a handful of models, causing one to fall back, but they are marines so it doesn't really mean anything.

On the left side the Warlord drops to the ground and gets ready to kill some Legion of the Damned. The Tervigon eyes a Dreadnought, he wants that tasty bio-mass center. The Warriors set their sites on the Drop Pod Tac squad, but elect not to shoot, to keep it a 6" charge, not a 7 or 8 in charge depending on how successful the shooting is.

Can I say how good those Carnifices are? Dang, so good. They put 22 wounds on Terminators, killing 4. They are also strength 9 monstrous creatures with D3 Hammer of Wrath hits. Even with shooty options they smash things.

Anyway, back on target, the Hive Tyrant and pooped gants kill 2 of the Legion then the Tyrant charges in. 1 Hammer of Wrath wound, 1 save, 5 attacks, 5 hits, 5 wounds, 5 saves. Dang! They strike back, 1 wound, one save. Derp fest, round 1.

The Tervigon charges in, takes one wound to overwatch heavy flamer.Dreadnought wiffs. Tervigon smashes, three hits, 1 glance, 1 pen, stunned.

Warriors charge in getting a 6, good thing I didn't shoot! They kill 2, take a wound in return, marines stay.

Top of turn 3, Terminators move forward, ready to make their move. They shoot the Carnifices causing 1 wound but fail their charge, it was through terrain and they did need a 10. I did do 9 wounds on overwatch, but he makes all his saves. TER-MA-NATE-ER!!! Without many models left that aren't in combat not much else happens in shooting. A few shots, no wounds, and grounding checks passed.

The Tyrant, 4 attacks, 3 hits, 3 wounds, 3 saves. Legion, does a wound, but I save it. Derp fest round 2.

The Dreadnought rolled 2 2's last turn to hit. Surely he won't do that again. He sure doesn't, this time he rolls 2 1's! I smash, 2 hits, 1 pen, no explodie. The Tac squad takes two more wounds from the Warriors, but the Warriors take 3 wounds in return.

Bottom of turn 3. Right Hive Tyrant box cars perils on Catalyst but Paroxysm's a small unit of Tac squads. The Crone flies off the table vector striking the last Tac Marine in the ruins, causing 3 wounds. The gants move to the center ruins, the Hive Tyrant and Carnifices line up to unload on the Terminators. When the dust and worms settled only the Captain is left standing.

Tyrant vs Legion. Tyrant, 4 hits, 4 wounds, 4 saves. Legion, no wounds. Derp fest round 3.

The Warriors cause 1 wounds, take none in return, the Marines break and run away, cowards! We wanted to eat you!
The Tyrannofexes flame, charge and smash the remaining Biomass in front of them. Yum!

The Carnifices charge in to the Captain...
This isn't going to end well.

Yup, the Captain died. At this point Vince called it.

Now Vince is a great guy but this wasn't really a game, as the list just wasn't a coherent force of any kind. Had he brought some weapons that could put a few wounds on my 9 monstrous creatures might have made it a different game. In the end he simply fed Hive Fleet Fel Rana some sweet sweet Biomass.

~HobbyTimmy

Dave Mcturk
02-24-2014, 02:41 PM
just line up to get chewed on ?? nice pictures though :cool:

timwrightii
02-26-2014, 12:46 PM
Yeah, just a little biomass snack. I do want a serious game but I don't mind fluffing my record. 5-0 with the new Nids ;D

BrianG
03-08-2014, 06:42 AM
1. That "head-mounted acid spray" is a fleshborer hive actually :P
2. You cannot be swooping with FMCs if they start on board in the first turn
3. Pretty nice game though :)