PDA

View Full Version : Which are you building first, Knight Errant or Paladin?

Arkhan Land
02-21-2014, 08:25 AM
Which are you building first, Knight Errant or Paladin? and Why!?

ElectricPaladin
02-21-2014, 08:37 AM
I'm planning to magnetize it... because it's a $140 kit and I have to live on a middle school teacher's salary.

George Labour
02-21-2014, 08:43 AM
Paladin for my first as it'll be taking the place of two Leman Russ tanks.

any others I will magnetize.

Tyrendian
02-21-2014, 10:08 AM
yeah, why even think about making a choice when you don't have to? with a kit that size magnetizing should be a piece of cake...
game wise I'll try out the Paladin first though I think...

KrewL RaiN
02-21-2014, 11:07 AM
If I were to get one, nothing would stand up to my Knight of Ni. My strength D Herring will cut down ALLLL the treees and my Shrubbery Shield will deflect all attacks! So much lols to be had with Monty Python Knights talk at the group last night xD. The Black Knight would have to be magnetized so that all the limbs can be taken off according to how many wounds it takes.

Maelstorm
02-21-2014, 11:29 AM
I'd rather try out the Leviathan Crusader or Leviathan Mortis - the same size and weapons (optional weapons extra) for about half the price...

http://dreamforge-games.com/products/leviathan-crusader

http://dreamforge-games.com/products/leviathan-mortis

I like their cleaner lines and completely positionable arms, legs and torso.

No magnets are needed to swap out the 7 Extra weapon options and a body upgrade.

GrauGeist
02-21-2014, 02:08 PM
How is this even a question? IMO, GW really failed rules-wise. The Paladin is actually very fair for the points, whereas the Errant adds basically nothing useful. The Battlecannon Paladin outclasses the Melta Errant so much, it isn't even funny.

The only way the Errant would have been competitive is if it had a Destroyer gun: S(D) AP1 R24" Small Blast, Destroyer. Even then, the Paladin is arguably superior, due to the 72" range and dual Large Blasts. Just not as obviously so. Pity, really.

Cap'nSmurfs
02-21-2014, 04:32 PM
Wraithknight!

John Bower
02-21-2014, 05:05 PM
Neither, 85 pounds for an 8" model is stupidly exorbitant, I refuse to pay baneblade money for something smaller than a 70 quid Wraithknight or stompa. So I'll wait till they start turning up cheap on fleabay.

Necron2.0
02-21-2014, 05:10 PM
I'd rather try out the Leviathan Crusader or Leviathan Mortis - the same size and weapons (optional weapons extra) for about half the price...

http://dreamforge-games.com/products/leviathan-mortis

I like their cleaner lines and completely positionable arms, legs and torso.

No magnets are needed to swap out the 7 Extra weapon options and a body upgrade.

THIS ... in spades, and then only for a laugh. Because of the recent business model changes, nobody in my group is buying anything new for 40K (I think I am the only one). My primary opponent has been rounding out his army by buying out stock from those who are quitting, and nobody I know of is go for the "TSR style" splat book money sink.

Actually, lately, I've pretty much limited myself to Warmachine (Cryx) and El Viejo Dragon (ASR series) miniatures (that latter being for the benefit of two who thinks far to much of themselves ... seriously).

Maelstorm
02-21-2014, 05:15 PM
@Necron 2.0 ~ Location: "Suburbs of Hell"?

I just moved away from the suburbs of Detroit, Michigan - you must be someplace close! :rolleyes:

Necron2.0
02-21-2014, 06:07 PM
If you could move away, it wasn't hell. ;)

George Labour
02-21-2014, 06:19 PM
It's funny how you can ask a question like "what is two plus two" and some people will thump their chest and bellow "I much prefer the number six, and maybe a diet root beer when eating tacos"

Patrick Boyle
02-21-2014, 11:56 PM
Neither, 85 pounds for an 8" model is stupidly exorbitant, I refuse to pay baneblade money for something smaller than a 70 quid Wraithknight or stompa. So I'll wait till they start turning up cheap on fleabay.

Why is height the only dimension for size? At least stacked up against the Wraithknight, the Wraith might have another inch and height but the Knight is clearly a substantially larger model in every other dimension. I'll give you the Stompa, though I wouldn't be surprised to see that go up come the new Ork codex.

It's funny how you can ask a question like "what is two plus two" and some people will thump their chest and bellow "I much prefer the number six, and maybe a diet root beer when eating tacos"

And what he said. Yes, we all know the Dreamforge kits exist, and yes it's great you don't play/buy 40k anymore. Thanks for reminding us all again.

Ivarr
02-22-2014, 12:04 AM
Why is no one saying...it's only 2 1/2 inches shorter than a warhound and 1/6 the price? Or, it looks so much less like an anorexic ballet dancer than the wraithknight, and only a few bucks more?

Do agree that the Paladin is the more potent of the two at first glance. Probably build a couple Paladins first.

Arkhan Land
02-22-2014, 12:34 AM
I agree with most peoples opinions on here in favor of the Paladin, In retrospect I should have put more emphasis on my curiosity as to if anyone was taking the Errant, but looking at GW's site today there is one new concern of mine...

In all of the pcitures GW has posted online of their household spearheads or Iron brotherhood, it would appear that there is only one Paladin in each group. could it be that you can only take a solo paladin or a paladin as a leader of your household, neccesitating the need for Errants? we'll find out in just a few days

Eberk
02-22-2014, 12:47 AM
Errant. My main adversary is a Land Raider thus I want the thermal weapon

Maskedaxe
02-22-2014, 01:31 AM

it looks so much better then the knight that was just released in my opinion. and oh look its cheaper... what a surprise.

Maskedaxe
02-22-2014, 01:32 AM
so GW made a wraithknight for the imperium of man....wow....basically looking at the stats its a giant dreadnought that will be gone turn 2 of any game

Maskedaxe
02-22-2014, 01:33 AM
Wraithknight!

agreed tenfold

John Bower
02-22-2014, 02:20 AM
Why is height the only dimension for size? At least stacked up against the Wraithknight, the Wraith might have another inch and height but the Knight is clearly a substantially larger model in every other dimension. I'll give you the Stompa, though I wouldn't be surprised to see that go up come the new Ork codex.

If they do I would want more options, Baneblade is 85 and all 8 kits included now. Perhaps now you see what I mean, the price for this is just scandalous by comparison. Have a quick look around the RC online shops and see what 85 will get you. A model that flies (for real) and is controllable through radio gear. When you look at it that way, how can GW justify these prices for what is tantamount to a toy soldier.

Sorry that's not meant to be offensive, I play 40k myself but .... you see my point.

Ivarr
02-24-2014, 01:10 PM
If they do I would want more options, Baneblade is 85 and all 8 kits included now. Perhaps now you see what I mean, the price for this is just scandalous by comparison. Have a quick look around the RC online shops and see what 85 will get you. A model that flies (for real) and is controllable through radio gear. When you look at it that way, how can GW justify these prices for what is tantamount to a toy soldier.

Sorry that's not meant to be offensive, I play 40k myself but .... you see my point.

But the Imperial Knight model looks so much cooler than the other stuff.

ElectricPaladin
02-24-2014, 01:40 PM
So, actually, I'm kind of considering just building a paladin first. Here's my logic:

1) I'm pretty sure I'm going to eventually want three of them, for maximum alliance.
2) I probably eventually want six, so I can field a whole freaking army of giant robots.
3) Either way, I'm going to want more paladins than errants.

So... if I'm going to have at least one paladin and at least one errant in my collection, why should I bother magnetizing the first one I buy? I'm going to own at least one of each (probably four paladins and two errants, within the next several years), why am I making my life more complicated than it has to be. Just build a freaking paladin now and and an errant next and move on with my life.

quindia
02-24-2014, 01:44 PM
I will be using magnets, not only to get the most out of this kit but also make use of the inevitable FW conversions.