PDA

View Full Version : Vector strikes

americanninjax
02-19-2014, 05:20 PM
I just wanted to confirm what I think the rules state. Since Vector Strikes happen at the end of the movement phase but before Shooting, can a FMC still choose to run after it's done a Vector Strike? The bit that confused me is that the rules state that a Vector Strike counts as having shot one of your weapons. But it's not parting of the Shooting Phase so I managed to confuse myself.

Any Help is appreciated.

Nabterayl
02-19-2014, 05:44 PM
I think pretty much everybody would say [EDIT: no], but I don't blame you for being confused. Page 14 says, "In their Shooting phase, units may choose to Run instead of firing." It isn't obvious (at least I don't think it's obvious) that this means a unit that has already fired cannot run. In fact, logically speaking (and I mean formally logically speaking here), it doesn't say anything about the consequences of having fired.

Sly
02-19-2014, 06:40 PM
It seems that according to the wording of the rules, choosing to Run prevents you from firing IN THE SHOOTING PHASE. There seems to be nothing relating a Run action to any firing action done in another phase. So a unit that has used a Vector Strike but is not taking a shoot action during the Shooting phase should be able to Run.

americanninjax
02-19-2014, 07:20 PM
That's what I thought. Thanks for helping me confirm that, guys.

Houghten
02-20-2014, 03:02 AM
It seems that according to the wording of the rules, choosing to Run prevents you from firing IN THE SHOOTING PHASE. There seems to be nothing relating a Run action to any firing action done in another phase. So a unit that has used a Vector Strike but is not taking a shoot action during the Shooting phase should be able to Run.

I get the feeling this is going to become a front page "conundrum" article... because the wording of Vector Strike states that the model counts as already having fired one weapon in the following Shooting phase.

Now, if that were worded upside down - ie, "in the following Shooting phase, the model counts as already having fired one weapon" - then it would be perfectly clear that it didn't prevent you from running. As it is, it sounds like you count as having fired a weapon in the Shooting phase even though you fired it earlier.

americanninjax
02-20-2014, 12:08 PM
Yeah that was my initial confusion, dangit. Now I'm torn again.

Nabterayl
02-20-2014, 02:06 PM
The confusion, I think, stems from the fact that Run! phrases things in terms of running instead of firing. If what they meant was that a unit that has fired may not run (which I think is what they do mean, although arguably not what they wrote), they could have phrased it that way and been much clearer. As it is, it's unclear whether we should read "may choose to Run instead of firing" as meaning that firing and Running are mutually exclusive (in which case you clearly cannot Run after Vector Striking) or as meaning that if you choose to run, you cannot fire (in which case you clearly can Run after Vector Striking).