PDA

View Full Version : How Excited are YOU for the Imperial Knights?

ElectricPaladin
02-16-2014, 09:46 PM
So, how excited are you?

daboarder
02-16-2014, 10:01 PM
already sketing up design details for chaos conversions. including house emblems and personal heraldry. I'm making a damned legio of them, 4-5 thats gonna be my next army.

ElectricPaladin
02-16-2014, 10:40 PM
For myself, I'm going with House Hawkwood pseudo-mercenaries, in that while they are loyal to the Imperium and will fight alongside any Imperial army, they have the clout to demand payment in return, and will occasionally fight alongside my Tau or Eldar if the money is good enough. They are a brother/sister team who take turns piloting the knight and providing technical support.

Ivarr
02-16-2014, 10:41 PM
Gonna have to buy an even dozen. Cannot decide between a couple of household ideas, so I will just have to do both.

Deadlift
02-17-2014, 01:40 AM
Yes, super excited. To the point I may sell my Eldar. I want this to be my next army and having my display cabinet filled with 6-9 of these bad boys is my goal.

Darren Richardson
02-17-2014, 01:52 AM
ohhh I gonna start saving this week for one of those bad boys.....

And I'm formalating a history for the crew already just so i can use them with my Red Templars army I'm working on ;)

kharne690
02-17-2014, 01:55 AM
The one thing I want to know is how reliable are the rumors that you can take them as their own codex?

Chaoschrist
02-17-2014, 02:10 AM
Eh... whatever. Not sure what to make of it actually. The rules seem have them geared towards Escalation and Apoc, both 2 "formats" I don't play at all.

And it wouldn't make sense to have them in a Daemon army anyway.

Learn2Eel
02-17-2014, 02:54 AM
I'm very excited. The Knight codex could be what gets me back into regular 40K gaming. It depends on the price of the Knights themselves (judging from their size, they should be no more than $125 at most), how many kits come with the codex, and how much I'm going to have to plead people to play against me.

If they don't pan out the way I hope, I'll just continue planning a 30K splurge. At least then I don't have to worry about getting a game - Escalation and Apocalypse really haven't caught on in my store, and an army of super heavies seems like it would exacerbate that issue. Eh, maybe I'll get lucky.

Aspire to Glory
02-17-2014, 03:45 AM
already sketing up design details for chaos conversions. including house emblems and personal heraldry. I'm making a damned legio of them, 4-5 thats gonna be my next army.

Oh my. That's going to look amazing! I look forward to the project log. :)

Aspire to Glory
02-17-2014, 03:46 AM
The one thing I want to know is how reliable are the rumors that you can take them as their own codex?

It was in a photo of the white dwarf, so pretty much positive!

Al Shut
02-17-2014, 04:30 AM
Voted whatever.

In fact I'm a bit confused by all the excitement. Apparently I've been living under a rock for the 20 years I've been playing 40k because I never heard of those guys.

Cap'nSmurfs
02-17-2014, 05:32 AM
They're awesome, but I don't want one right now. What has happened is they've absolutely made me want to get back to my Eldar, and the Wraithknight. :)

Mr Mystery
02-17-2014, 06:39 AM
Excited?

Scraping my trousers off the ceiling, Sir. Scraping my trousers off the ceiling.

I wants loads. And then some more.

bfmusashi
02-17-2014, 06:51 AM
I'm friggin' amped as I now have half of Space Elves on Dinosaurs Fighting Giant Robots From Mars. Knights mean everything's back on the table, so I'm going to sit here quietly in the corner and keep an eye out of Codex: Exodites and fantasize about my army of grim dark gundams.

eldargal
02-17-2014, 07:14 AM
They're awesome, but I don't want one right now. What has happened is they've absolutely made me want to get back to my Eldar, and the Wraithknight. :)

I'm getting three but oddly it has inspired me to assemble my spare Wraithknight as well, might paint her up this evening.

Mr Mystery
02-17-2014, 07:19 AM
Wonder if we'll see a separate Eldar Knight model at some point, whether Citadel or Forgeworld?

I'd at least like to see Bright Stallion type conversion kit for the Wraithknight. That'd be hella cool.

eldargal
02-17-2014, 07:21 AM
I hope so.

Darren Richardson
02-17-2014, 07:49 AM
Voted whatever.

In fact I'm a bit confused by all the excitement. Apparently I've been living under a rock for the 20 years I've been playing 40k because I never heard of those guys.

That would be because they were around in the old Space Marine/Epic format about 20 years ago!

Darren Richardson
02-17-2014, 08:34 AM
That would be because they were around in the old Space Marine/Epic format about 20 years ago!

whoops 23 years ago at least, they were in the 1991 doorstep that was the Citadel Miniatures Catalogue

The Imperial Knights

And the Eldar Knights

As Usual in the background the humans stole the tech from the alien race and retrofitted it for their own use ;)

This Dave
02-17-2014, 09:15 AM
whoops 23 years ago at least, they were in the 1991 doorstep that was the Citadel Miniatures Catalogue

The Imperial Knights

And the Eldar Knights

As Usual in the background the humans stole the tech from the alien race and retrofitted it for their own use ;)

You are in error citizen. The wretched xenos scum obviously copied our sacred designs. Report to room 23 and sit in the BLUE chair. :)

ElectricPaladin
02-17-2014, 09:50 AM
There's a lot of Apocalypse going on in my area. Although I haven't seen it yet, it wouldn't surprise me if there's some Escalation, too. After all, so many players have super-heavies that they're probably eager to field, but can't always. If there isn't already some Escalation, I'm sure I could drum some up. My area is also pretty into alternative formats. We just finished a Kill Team campaign, are in the middle of a Cities of Death Campaign, and will soon be moving into a campaign that combines "normal" games and Kill Team games. It wouldn't surprise me if I could get folks behind an entire Escalation/Apocalypse themed campaign as well.

Even if I can't get anyone to play Escalation with me, I'm very happy to have a super-heavy option that I can afford and don't need to order from Forgeworld for when I finally start playing Apocaylspe. Between my Blood Angels and my Sisters of Battle, I'm finally getting to the point that I could put 90% of my models on the table and have a coherent force (and about a quarter of it painted). If the price rumors are accurate, the Knights will sell for about $140. That's a lot more achievable to me than a fellblade ($265) or a warhound titan (upwards of $500, when you factor in the cost of the body and arms). Now I can play Acocalypse with a super-heavy on the table! Even if it's "baby's first super-heavy"... well, it would be this "baby's" first Apocalypse game, so I'm comfortable with that!

lobster-overlord
02-17-2014, 09:53 AM
I just got Masterclass Volume 2, and saw the knights picture the same day, so my brain is already wanting to apply titan techniues from MC 2 to it.

bfmusashi
02-17-2014, 10:31 AM

Aw, when'd they write that? I only had the Titan Legions game books for background and in that the Mechanicus just made them... for fighting space elves on dinosaurs. I will never forget, that 40k is a place where this was humanity's totally rational response to space elves on dinosaurs.

Zac78
02-17-2014, 10:39 AM
I have been waiting for this since I first starting space marine still have a lot old models in the back shed somewhere

Maelstorm
02-17-2014, 11:14 AM
I'm completely indifferent to them (yawn...)

Begin mini-rant...

I'd rather they (GW) take the time to fix shoddy rules, answer FAQ's and make some attempt at balancing each codex instead of making all-new plastic crack to throw into their rules crapstorm.

How many more poorly worded rules are going to arise from a codex that comprises nothing but $160 models?

End of mini-rant...

SON OF ROMULOUS
02-17-2014, 12:20 PM
there wasnt an option for i'm holding my breath and waiting to see how they work in 6th before i even consider buying. Let alone how much they are going to cost.

m3g4tr0n
02-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Not orky enough.

Blackcloud6
02-17-2014, 01:10 PM
I'll likely get one n the future. My "to build" pile is too high right now.

MarneusCalgar
02-17-2014, 01:21 PM
I´ll take 2!

Pullo
02-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Thinking about, whether I can just call it a Mega-Dread to fit with my marines!

Demonus
02-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Eh... whatever. Not sure what to make of it actually. The rules seem have them geared towards Escalation and Apoc, both 2 "formats" I don't play at all.

And it wouldn't make sense to have them in a Daemon army anyway.

Mmmm Fully Daemonic Possessed Knight...

ElectricPaladin
02-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Mmmm Fully Daemonic Possessed Knight...

One of the Knight Houses fell to Slaanesh, so there's your fluff excuse right there. Hopefully the rules will allow for it.

Alvarius
02-17-2014, 01:39 PM
The poll is missing one option:
* NONE. Can't afford them....
:/

ElectricPaladin
02-17-2014, 01:47 PM
The poll is missing one option:
* NONE. Can't afford them....
:/

That sucks, man. Hopefully you'll get a windfall, or some change of circumstances that will allow you to at least save up for a couple of months. I don't have a ton of money, and I have to keep my minis purchases within a pretty tight budget... but at least I can save up, or just not go out to eat for a while. I sometimes forget that not everyone even has that. Good luck to you.

Deadlift
02-17-2014, 02:13 PM
I'm getting three but oddly it has inspired me to assemble my spare Wraithknight as well, might paint her up this evening.

You really should take pictures of all this 40k stuff you have. Must be a massive collection.

Lukas The Trickster
02-17-2014, 02:22 PM

Begin mini-rant...

I'd rather they (GW) take the time to fix shoddy rules, answer FAQ's and make some attempt at balancing each codex instead of making all-new plastic crack to throw into their rules crapstorm.

How many more poorly worded rules are going to arise from a codex that comprises nothing but $160 models?

End of mini-rant...

Ooooooooooooo, someone's a Warmachine player! :p

BrianDavion
02-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Aw, when'd they write that? I only had the Titan Legions game books for background and in that the Mechanicus just made them... for fighting space elves on dinosaurs. I will never forget, that 40k is a place where this was humanity's totally rational response to space elves on dinosaurs.

originally they where basicly ripped off the Eldar who had their own knights.

in short the original fluff is they where the human attempt at wraith knights

SaveModifier
02-17-2014, 02:48 PM

Begin mini-rant...

End of mini-rant...

I think you might be in the wrong hobby

Dlatrex
02-17-2014, 03:43 PM
I'm eager to get one: this is note worthy for my collection as across the years this will be my FIRST Imperial purchase (terrain excluded).

Sargejohnson
02-17-2014, 04:19 PM
I'll take 7! 6 for the codex army, and the spare for DA ORKZ! I'm gonna loot the living hell out of that model! It can be an ally of convenience in my army or something. I'll make it work. Like I did to the Storm Raven when it came out. Showed up at the local GW shop with it already half converted, and saw the sadness in the kids' eyes and the disgust from the others. Orkz are the best at recycling!!!! But in all seriousness, as long as they are priced similarly to the Wraithknight or Riptide I'm gonna be happy. If they cost the same as a Stompa... I'm just gonna buy a 4th Stompa...

Alvarius
02-17-2014, 04:43 PM
That sucks, man. Hopefully you'll get a windfall, or some change of circumstances that will allow you to at least save up for a couple of months. I don't have a ton of money, and I have to keep my minis purchases within a pretty tight budget... but at least I can save up, or just not go out to eat for a while. I sometimes forget that not everyone even has that. Good luck to you.
Sadly, the exchange rate and the salary differences over here have made it impossible for me to buy anything aside from WD for the last couple of years (think along the lines of paying 150$ for the new dwarf Ironbreakers and you'll get the idea), so that sucks. but, if all goes as planed, this July things should be getting better in that department (as a bonus) since I'm marrying a beautiful Texan Girl and moving to the U.S. ;) Paying 50$ is a big improovement over paying 150$ wouldn't you say? ;)

John Bower
02-17-2014, 04:51 PM
Eh. Whatever - I want to see the dex and prices first. I like the idea of some mercenary supers to use in any army whether it's Orks, Eldar, DE (especially) or Chaos, but if they are silly prices then I'd rather get a 2nd hand Baneblade or equivalent.

Matthew Dix-Williams
02-17-2014, 07:41 PM
I absolutely cannot wait. I want to eventually pick up three, two for my Chaos Marines (to accompany my warhound titan) and one for my inquisition force. I am also going to use a Bipedal Defiler I converted a few years back as a Knight, assuming that its bulk and height are about right when the model comes out.

Just gotta try to stop myself from being tempted to get a whole house. Rent on my actual house is more important! :S

bfmusashi
02-17-2014, 10:08 PM

Are you sure you aren't confusing the War Walker and Sentinel for the knights? That's why I was asking for a book.

Maelstorm
02-17-2014, 11:15 PM
Ooooooooooooo, someone's a Warmachine player! :p

Pffft... Hardly.

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?41393-Hive-Fleet-Maelstorm

I just bought 8,000 points of new in the box Tyranids and built them in 36 days.

GW leaves a great deal to be desired in rulebook and codex writing. They do make decent enough plastic crack.

Here's to hoping they make the new Knights out of Finecast! <---Yes- this is sarcasm

Learn2Eel
02-17-2014, 11:58 PM
According to Faeit the USD cost of Knights is $140. Hmph. Probably means the Knight kit will be $165-$170 AUD like the other super-heavy kits. Oh well, not for me then. If it was bigger than a Trygon then I would understand, but eh, unless the kit is something spectacular I won't bother. Shame.

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-18-2014, 12:48 AM
I'm not getting one (too expensive for me and I hate painting large models) but I think it's a very cool release and I look forward to seeing what the more imaginative minded hobbyists do with the kit.

Learn2Eel
02-18-2014, 12:50 AM
I'm intrigued by the other elements of the release, i.e. the Mercenaries and Adeptus Mechanicus.

Darren Richardson
02-18-2014, 02:04 AM

in the original WD article which introduced them in the late 80's, I just wish I could find the issue and I'd provide scans of it....

I'm sure someone has already posted scans though on another thread.....

Darren Richardson
02-18-2014, 02:12 AM
You are in error citizen. The wretched xenos scum obviously copied our sacred designs. Report to room 23 and sit in the BLUE chair. :)

Sorry but we settled on the Eldar Exodite Scum's world (After clensing them clean of course) and then repurposed their tech IIRC :)

Darren Richardson
02-18-2014, 02:16 AM

yep, in the original WD article in the late 80's thats excactly what happened, in the 90's they had started to codify the setting into the Grim Dark setting we know today and so changed the origins....

Like it haddn't already been done a dozen times before and since ;)

Darren Richardson
02-18-2014, 02:19 AM
Are you sure you aren't confusing the War Walker and Sentinel for the knights? That's why I was asking for a book.

It was in the old WD, back in the late 80's, back when the mag was in the 100's issues....

You know before GW became the monster it is today! ;)

Edit:

SO it was after issue 93 Septermber 1987, that was the issue that WH40k was released!

Curious, the Legion of the Damned was introduced in issue 99.....

the Eldar Harlies issue 105, from there until 123 I'm missing quite a few issues, but by issue 123 the Titian and Space Marine games had been released and the issue have a couple of photo's of the Eldar Knights in it, sooo....

Found it!

Issue number 126!, I'll post scans later....

ElectricPaladin
02-18-2014, 02:23 AM
WD 126, I believe.

I'm considering just grabbing a copy of eBay.

Darren Richardson
02-18-2014, 02:58 AM
here's page 1

Page 2

Page 3 & 4

The remander of the article was the rules for the Space Marine and Adaptus Titanicus games, several pages longs....

jonsgot
02-18-2014, 03:53 AM
According to Faeit the USD cost of Knights is $140. Hmph. Probably means the Knight kit will be $165-$170 AUD like the other super-heavy kits. Oh well, not for me then. If it was bigger than a Trygon then I would understand, but eh, unless the kit is something spectacular I won't bother. Shame.
It is bigger than a Tyrgon, about 4cm taller and a lot less spindly.

bfmusashi
02-18-2014, 06:33 AM
Crazy read, thanks for posting :) Kind of wrapping my head around the Fall happening during the Dark Age of Technology instead of ending the Age of Strife.

Darren Richardson
02-18-2014, 08:07 AM
Crazy read, thanks for posting :) Kind of wrapping my head around the Fall happening during the Dark Age of Technology instead of ending the Age of Strife.

yeah Like I said, GW has retrofitted a lot of the old history of the Imperium over the years, taking what the team of designers likes and throwing away what they thought was either too silly or too contradictry...

Some of those old WD's from 1987 to 1990 were a blast to read, around then though they started taking the background serious so from 1991 to when 2nd ed came out their armylists and fluff started to look quite a bit like what we know today

TauBoss
02-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Yawn, can't be bothered with more imperial turd. They are GW response to all space marine players whining about Riptides and Wraithlords. NEXT.

Defenestratus
02-18-2014, 12:24 PM
Well, honestly, I couldn't really care less.

Cool model. Cool Rules. Won't ever buy one.

jonsgot
02-18-2014, 01:22 PM
I've just realised ...
Didn't GW say no more new armies, yet here we have a new codex with new models????

GW how very dare you!
Oh what you said no new races, oh ok then bring it on.

My Imperial Knights will be piloted by short fat blokes with beards:)

BananaDynasty
02-18-2014, 01:43 PM
I'm indifferent about the knights until I see the codex for them.

Ankhalagon
02-19-2014, 02:01 PM
They are real beauties. The rules are crap. So what! I will field them with my fandex-rules and modifying them a little.
I´m buying some of them in time.

deinol
02-19-2014, 05:06 PM
I voted "Whatever" but I'm actually "Excited but won't be buying one anytime soon". I do have a 2k marine army I just finished painting, but I'm going to be working on my Eldar for the foreseeable future. Still need to buy/build/paint a wraithknight.

MajorWesJanson
02-20-2014, 01:29 AM
Going to spilt my tax return money between a Knight and a Fellblade.

I have a bunch of the epic knights painted to coordinate with my Titan Legion (Epic and full size combined). Now I have decided on names for the three houses.

BrianDavion
02-20-2014, 01:43 AM
They are real beauties. The rules are crap. So what! I will field them with my fandex-rules and modifying them a little.
I´m buying some of them in time.

Honestly I've always thought that the rules are pretty solid for the purpose of the unit. these things aren't designed to be feilded in the big "multi titan" apoc games. but are rather supposed to be deployed in the large mid range games of 1500-2500 points the thing is DEFINATLY a super heavy, but DEFINATLY killable

Katharon
02-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Until I hold a "Codex: Imperial Knights" in my hand, I will withhold any speculation or judgement of them. However, from an aesthetic point of view, I do think that they are a nice model. Anyone can see how the design team took their cues from (and practiced with) the Grey Knight Dreadknight and the Tau Riptide. I feel pretty sure that this was a collaborative effort between the fellas at GW and FW (each of which have, I assume, two different design teams).

Whether or not I buy one will be dependent on the form of their codex, formation, ecodex, etc. Until we know EXACTLY how they will be organized and fielded, then it's pretty much just tasty eye candy.

ElectricPaladin
02-20-2014, 08:55 AM
Honestly I've always thought that the rules are pretty solid for the purpose of the unit. these things aren't designed to be feilded in the big "multi titan" apoc games. but are rather supposed to be deployed in the large mid range games of 1500-2500 points the thing is DEFINATLY a super heavy, but DEFINATLY killable

I also bet that these guys will be really effective in squads of two or three in 3k+ games.

Darren Richardson
02-20-2014, 09:23 AM
well a guy in a GW store said they are available to pre-order from midnight (GMT)

Mr Mystery
02-20-2014, 09:26 AM
Is anyone else feeling like this is some pleasing dream?

Because I've wanted a 40k Scale Knight for the best part of 20 years, and now I get to have one.

I know it sounds a bit.....much, but it's true!

Deadlift
02-20-2014, 09:29 AM
I haven't been this excited about a release since I started playing 40k. All my Eldar are going on eBay this weekend. My cabinet is going to empty for awhile, 1 a month is my target.

jonsgot
02-20-2014, 01:20 PM
Is anyone else feeling like this is some pleasing dream?

Because I've wanted a 40k Scale Knight for the best part of 20 years, and now I get to have one.

I know it sounds a bit.....much, but it's true!

It's been the big squig in the room since forge world started on titan's. I can only assume they have been working on it for years.

Yes I'm excited by all the bargains I'm going to get, from people selling their armies to get these;), and picking a couple up myself in a few month's.:D