PDA

View Full Version : Legion of the Damned digital codex.

Joe Fixit
02-15-2014, 06:15 AM
With all the excitement of the knights pictures I expect this is a little underwhelming for most. But here it is.
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/joenortonjones/5158aa9b91951cfd116251be263e3440.jpg

40k radios Facebook page had the leak and it's been reported on Natfkas site too.

http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/wd-leaked-image-of-codex-legion-of.html
https://www.facebook.com/pages/40K-Radio/147396461962884

This is one I may be getting.

wayne williams
02-15-2014, 06:18 AM
oooh nice my favorite space marines il look forward to that.

Tyrendian
02-15-2014, 07:05 AM
jeeeesus GW quit stealing all my monies already!...

now if LotD weren't so expensive cash wise (justified, the models are drop dead gorgeous... but a whole army at something like 70€ per ten man squad? nothx)

Anggul
02-15-2014, 07:32 AM
I imagine it's just going to be like the Inquisiton one. The current LotD entry with a list of Imperials they can be attached to. It would be nice if they had rules for more units for them, but I doubt it.

Lord-Boofhead
02-15-2014, 09:12 AM
Then why did they bother putting them in the Space Marine book?

Houghten
02-15-2014, 09:18 AM
It would be nice if they had rules for more units for them, but I doubt it.

It wouldn't exactly be too hard to pen out a codex entry for Damned Devastators and they wouldn't need to produce any new models for it either - that said, they could do with more of their existing options rendered as models as all they've got right now is flamers, heavy flamers and multi-meltas and I can't see why you'd spend points on the first two when they now have Ignores Cover all the time.

Aaron LeClair
02-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Then why did they bother putting them in the Space Marine book?

Cause GW had a round table meeting after returns last month and went 'his can we get more money off players?' Rest is history now.

DWest
02-15-2014, 12:06 PM
Considering they Deep Strike with re-rolled Scatter, Flamers/Heavy Flamers are still a nice way to put out a lot of Wounds on a target. That being said, Plasma w/ Ignores Cover is pretty nice too.

crandall87
02-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Cause GW had a round table meeting after returns last month and went 'his can we get more money off players?' Rest is history now.

I'd be very shocked if GW could put anything out that quickly even if it is only a digital release. I was going to say they probably kept them in the codex as people already owned them and that would be unfair but then I just remembered the Nids codex... although granted the missing units from that book aren't GW models

Chris Copeland
02-15-2014, 02:37 PM
I'm really excited about this as I've recently acquired a ton of Legion models: I new chaplain, sergeant centurions, 1 rhino painted as LoTD, 2 oop land speeders, tech marine, 26 LoTD torsos, 26 LoTD bolters, 23 LoTD backpacks, 59 shoulder pads, plus some regular marines painted in the motif of LoTD, plus arms and such. and a limited edition Sergeant Centuios... Legion of the Damned, here I come!

edit: Holy Moses! I just looked up Sergeant Centurius on eBay... I win!!!

Asymmetrical Xeno
02-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Always liked Legion of the damned, and didnt like them jsut being turned into some weird unit entry in C:sm so this is a good move in my eyes. I fully expect it to be like codex inquisition and sisters ect

Red Angel
02-15-2014, 07:31 PM
Awesome! I have always wanted to get some Damned Legion Models and now I should be able to use them with Guardsmen and Space Wolves 😃
Hopefully they will add in other units and not just the one that is allready in the Space Marine Codex 😃

daboarder
02-15-2014, 10:09 PM
I think GW has misunderstood.

When we said we wanted legion rules we meant CHAOS legions, not loyalist variant number 347

The Sovereign
02-16-2014, 02:11 AM
LotD was an odd choice for a codex, IMO. Just seems like Deathwatch would've been a lot more welcome and sensible. If we absolutely must have another C:SM supplement/codex, that is.

Darren Richardson
02-16-2014, 05:14 AM

Yep he's quite the money grabber he is!

I've been looking for this kind of release for some time, WD during 3rd ed's time period had an small army list for the legion in it, I'm really hoping it will include those options again, I just wish they would do a new sculpting of the Sarge....

A non limited edition one hopefully ;)

jonsgot
02-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Yep he's quite the money grabber he is!

I've been looking for this kind of release for some time, WD during 3rd ed's time period had an small army list for the legion in it, I'm really hoping it will include those options again, I just wish they would do a new sculpting of the Sarge....

A non limited edition one hopefully ;)
The rules for him on chapter masters get views every day. There must be a lot of them out there still.

Lord-Boofhead
02-16-2014, 10:47 AM
Always liked Legion of the damned, and didnt like them jsut being turned into some weird unit entry in C:sm so this is a good move in my eyes. I fully expect it to be like codex inquisition and sisters ect

Agreed, this is good, as we can now add them to the IG or Sisters without having to bring random marines along to.

This sets a precedent too, the existence of Harlequins in the Eldar/Dark Eldar Codexes doesn't prevent a separate Harlequin Codex with Solitaires and the like down the track.

Lord-Boofhead
02-16-2014, 10:48 AM
LotD was an odd choice for a codex, IMO. Just seems like Deathwatch would've been a lot more welcome and sensible. If we absolutely must have another C:SM supplement/codex, that is.

But it isn't a 'C:SM supplement/codex' though, it is it's own entity.

ElectricPaladin
02-17-2014, 08:28 PM
Personally, I support the Legion of the Damned getting their own codex. That way, I'll be able to "ally" them in to my Blood Angels or Sisters of Battles armies. It's always bugged me that the Legion of the Damned is supposed to show up mysteriously to support Imperial forces... and yet, strangely, they never seem to do this for the Blood Angels, Space Wolves, and Dark Angels. And they only recently started showing up to support the Black Templars. And they never show up when it's just Guardsmen or Sisters of Battle dying in the Emperor's name. Weird, I know.

Now that's not a problem anymore.

Darren Richardson
02-18-2014, 08:20 AM
they have been around a very loooong time, here is the original Index article from WD 99 way back in March 1988

SaveModifier
02-18-2014, 08:39 AM

LotD already have rules, so its a lot easier to make a codex for them, I'm sure Deathwatch will come, GW aren't going to miss out on oppurtunities to make money!

lobster-overlord
02-18-2014, 08:48 AM

no sir, you suck! send it my way and I'll give it the same treatment as those bases from xmas.

Wolfshade
02-18-2014, 08:57 AM
I think GW has misunderstood.

When we said we wanted legion rules we meant CHAOS legions, not loyalist variant number 347

This made me chuckle. :D

Cpt Codpiece
02-18-2014, 09:10 AM
wonder if it has the animus malorum rules in it :)
centurius was a total monster back in 2nd ed. but i dont know why people think its expensive if you were to have loads od LotD..... buy a box or two and convert the rest... the sergeants are both wicked (he has a skull, but no crozius or rosarius... so he aint a chaplain people, but he does make a nice one for normal marines), and flames and bones are really hard to greenstuff *end internet sarcasm mode* :)

i may grab this and knock up a centurius in modern parts so he's the right size :)

Lexington
02-18-2014, 12:55 PM
Love the idea - the LotD is one of my favorite bits of 40K fiction, and it never made a ton of sense that they only showed up to help Marines, and even then limited themselves to aiding the poor ******* Chapters unlucky enough to not have their own Codex.

Really, despite the overall mess the game's in at the moment, I'm stupid happy that GW's publishing stand-alone books for cross-faction organizations like this.

Chris Copeland
02-18-2014, 05:43 PM
no sir, you suck! send it my way and I'll give it the same treatment as those bases from xmas. Dear Lobster Overlord, if you are offering to base the good Sergeant in as awesome a manner as the pirates I got from you during the Christmas Exchange I may well take you up on that! I have gotten SO MANY compliments on those pirates! Cope

Bigred
02-21-2014, 12:37 PM
Legion of the Damned Codex (http://www.blacklibrary.com/games-workshop-digital-editions/Codex-Legion-of-the-Damned.html)
$16.99

Appearing from the shifting tides of the Warp, the Legion of the Damned are mysterious bone-adorned Space Marines who arrive unlooked for to aid the servants of the Imperium. No one knows for sure where they come from, but none can doubt the fury with which they fight, or the trail of dead foes they leave in their wake. Tormented by a ghostly past and afflicted by the very power that snatches them from one battlefield to the next, the Legion are truly cursed warriors who, perhaps, seek salvation through the carnage they visit upon the enemies of the Emperor.

About the Book:
Codex: Legion of the Damned allows you to add Legion of the Damned squads into your Warhammer 40,000 army, or field them as a detachment in their own right. It includes extensive background on the mysterious Legion of the Damned, detailing the times they have appeared to fight alongside the armies of the God-Emperor. Also inside you will find rules for Legion of the Damned units, as well as three new missions, an artefact and Warlord Traits and, all unique to these legendary warriors.

Lord Tothe
02-21-2014, 01:22 PM
One would think they could publish a dead tree version quite profitably for $15 or so. Maybe even a full-size codex for $50 with all of the IOM supplements included eventually.

DarkLink
02-21-2014, 02:45 PM
One would think they could publish a dead tree version quite profitably for $15 or so.

Why? Printing is expensive. From a business perspective, profit margins on a digital only are likely much better.

bfmusashi
02-22-2014, 12:07 AM
Why? Printing is expensive. From a business perspective, profit margins on a digital only are likely much better.

'cause I'm a luddite, I do not own a tablet and see no point in buying one. Is this a thing that prints easily?

MajorWesJanson
02-22-2014, 12:56 AM
It would be nice if after a while they print a "Codex Imperium" in paper/hardback that contains the Codex Sroroitas, Codex Inquisition, Codex Knights, and Codex LotD, plus the dataslates, for normal printed codex price.

ElectricPaladin
02-22-2014, 12:58 AM
It would be nice if after a while they print a "Codex Imperium" in paper/hardback that contains the Codex Sroroitas, Codex Inquisition, Codex Knights, and Codex LotD, plus the dataslates, for normal printed codex price.

You know... I might buy that.

DarkLink
02-22-2014, 01:25 AM
'cause I'm a luddite, I do not own a tablet and see no point in buying one. Is this a thing that prints easily?

Printing is expensive (especially since GW doesn't have the means to print its own stuff, so it has to do it through a third party). There's no magical way of making it not-expensive. Again, this is a business. Why offer a product tailor-made for efficient, high profit margin digital distribution, and then print it? It's not that people won't buy it, it's that they're not going to make any more money doing it. With the regular codices, there's still enough volume that printing is viable. Probably not the case with some of these smaller things.

White Tiger88
02-22-2014, 02:17 AM
Anyone got the rule dirt on the Legion of the damned yet? :D

Chris Kirby
02-22-2014, 03:29 AM
What is the point of pre-orders for a digital product?

White Tiger88
02-22-2014, 04:26 AM

Its games workshop.......Try not to use logic or you might burst a few brain cells\blood vessels......

Defenestratus
02-22-2014, 09:23 AM

You're reserving the electrons in the intertubes to deliver the limited supply digital content :P

Duh.

bfmusashi
02-22-2014, 01:23 PM
Printing is expensive (especially since GW doesn't have the means to print its own stuff, so it has to do it through a third party). There's no magical way of making it not-expensive. Again, this is a business. Why offer a product tailor-made for efficient, high profit margin digital distribution, and then print it? It's not that people won't buy it, it's that they're not going to make any more money doing it. With the regular codices, there's still enough volume that printing is viable. Probably not the case with some of these smaller things.

It was late, I didn't see the ambiguity in my second sentence. I meant would it print from a computer printer easily? I've never tried to print a e-book off of itunes before.

Bigred
02-26-2014, 12:04 PM
via Black Library (http://www.blacklibrary.com/new-at-bl/The-Codex-of-the-Damned.html)

BACKGROUND

The Legion of the Damned are one of the great mysteries of Warhammer 40,000: spectral figures who appear in times of dire need (and there are plenty of those!) to aid the warriors of the Emperor in battle. The origins of these mysterious warriors are explored in unprecedented detail in the new Codex.

Also in this section, you’ll find a timeline of their best known interventions throughout the 41st millennium. There are also first-hand accounts from those saved by the mysterious legionnaires, and from some that they have fought against, including this account from ill-fated Ork boss Redeye Rockjaw.

THE RULES

This Codex allows you to field large forces of Legion of the Damned, and even take them as a Primary Detachment. As well as giving more armies the option to include squads of Damned Legionnaires, these detachments gain other benefits, not the least of which is the ability to claim objectives (a useful trait in a Deep Striking squad of elite, and nigh-unkillable, undead Space Marines).

A primary detachment also allows you to nominate one of your Legion of the Damned Sergeants to be your Warlord, giving him access to a particularly brutal selection of Warlord traits, all of which affect the sergeant's full squad.

The Legion of the Damned are a band of faceless and mysterious warriors, but even within their ranks there is one who has been sighted again and again by those who have witnessed them in battle. Attica Centurius is the bearer of the Animus Malorum, a relic of unknown origins and terrible power.

The Codex also has the rules to equip one of your Sergeants with this Relic of the Damned, if you want to represent this mysterious figure in your force.

Available on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/codex-legion-damned-interactive/id825034408?mt=11)

rockdeity
02-26-2014, 12:13 PM
You know what makes perfect sense? Making your 1W sergeant your warlord.

confoo22
02-26-2014, 12:23 PM

It's a marketing gimmick to get people excited about the upcoming release. The effectiveness of said gimmick is debatable.

"the option to include squads of Damned Legionnaires"

Am I the only one who felt like I would've gotten away with it if it wasn't for those damned legionnaires when they read this?

Maxis Lithium
02-26-2014, 12:56 PM
I was hoping this book would give the LotD proper HQs like captains and chaplains. I guess it will just be LotD squads xeepstriking in and being expensive.

bfmusashi
02-26-2014, 12:58 PM
All I can hear reading that preview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEg6wjcwZMQ

DarkLink
02-26-2014, 01:18 PM
It was late, I didn't see the ambiguity in my second sentence. I meant would it print from a computer printer easily? I've never tried to print a e-book off of itunes before.

Ah, possibly. Some of their ebooks have been little more than text on a page. But odds are it will have some background pictures and stuff that would burn a lot of ink.

Red Angel
02-26-2014, 09:56 PM
Awesome!
I am looking forward to the Legion of the Damned codex even more now :D

deinol
02-28-2014, 11:54 PM
Anyone get it yet? Is it worth it? Are there actually new units and characters, or is it just, you can take the one unit as an army to itself?

urzaplanewalker
02-28-2014, 11:57 PM
I just got mine. You can take a bunch of legion units as your primary deployment. However, for some weird reason, they still don't come in until turn 2. Which means that if you don't bring an ally, you auto-lose the game. O.o

White Tiger88
03-01-2014, 01:27 AM
I just got mine. You can take a bunch of legion units as your primary deployment. However, for some weird reason, they still don't come in until turn 2. Which means that if you don't bring an ally, you auto-lose the game. O.o

.....Wait so no HQ choices?

urzaplanewalker
03-01-2014, 01:55 AM
You convert a Sergeant to your warlord if it is your primary detachment. No HQs. I think that the idea is that you can (and should) take them as an ally because otherwise your warlord is 1W.

Cap'nSmurfs
03-01-2014, 05:08 AM
It's just squads. You nominate one squad's sergeant as your Warlord, and their Warlord Trait applies to the whole squad.

The thing with these supplemental codices is that they're not giving you extra miniatures, just new ways to use existing ones. At the moment, anyway.

Gleipnir
03-02-2014, 06:52 PM
How soon until they errata to include the Rule "Aid From Beyond" (All units from the Legion of the Damned detachment arrive from Reserve at the start of the Legion of the Damned player’s Turn 1. These units must enter play via Deep Strike as normal.) to one or more units in a Legion of the Damned primary detachment?

Its the only rule in the rules appendix that doesn't have an entry anywhere else in the book that I saw, and seems like they obviously made an oversight of not including it as a part of the primary detachment description to actually make a LotD only force playable.

Note the Mission 1 Echos of War mission which reads Aid Unlooked For which has same rules description but different name.

jonsgot
03-03-2014, 01:55 AM
Sorry to be the one who starts the rain, but I was expecting there to be a bit more to this than and army of LOTD tactical squads and a handful of warlord traits and an artifact. Like Dreadnoughts, bikes, terminators ect.
It would appear the fluff must be the main reason to get the codex. I'm sure you could take a normal space marine army as LOTD in 4th ed. There was a great army in the club display at games day. http://chaptermasters.com/todays-picture-legion-of-the-damned-army/

Darren Richardson
03-05-2014, 09:13 AM

if you read the Glossery in the back there is a rule mentioned in another post, which answers this problem, but for some reason they have forgotten to include it in the main part of the book.

Aid From Beyond All units from the Legion of the Damned detachment arrive from Reserve at the start of the Legion of the Damned player’s Turn 1. These units must enter play via Deep Strike as normal.

Games Workshop Ltd. Codex: Legion of the Damned (Kindle Locations 783-785).

Lord-Boofhead
03-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Sorry to be the one who starts the rain, but I was expecting there to be a bit more to this than and army of LOTD tactical squads and a handful of warlord traits and an artifact. Like Dreadnoughts, bikes, terminators ect.
It would appear the fluff must be the main reason to get the codex. I'm sure you could take a normal space marine army as LOTD in 4th ed. There was a great army in the club display at games day. http://chaptermasters.com/todays-picture-legion-of-the-damned-army/

Thats from 2nd ed.

And Tanks dreads Bikes ect make no sense for LotD. Assault and Devies on the other hand...

War Painter
03-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Thats from 2nd ed.

And Tanks dreads Bikes ect make no sense for LotD. Assault and Devies on the other hand...

Forgive me because I don't know the fluff, but why does that make any less sense then them having power armor or working weapons?

This Dave
03-06-2014, 08:59 AM
Forgive me because I don't know the fluff, but why does that make any less sense then them having power armor or working weapons?

I actually like the theory about them in the new codex that they're the Emperor's daemons rather than an actual flesh and blood Marines changed by the Warp. It does explain much.

FireHazard
03-06-2014, 06:08 PM
if you read the Glossery in the back there is a rule mentioned in another post, which answers this problem, but for some reason they have forgotten to include it in the main part of the book.

This is a Mission Special Rule, not a LoD Special Rule.

DarkLink
03-06-2014, 08:45 PM
I actually like the theory about them in the new codex that they're the Emperor's daemons rather than an actual flesh and blood Marines changed by the Warp. It does explain much.

I've always thought of Grey Knights as the Emperor's Cult Marines.

Nid Bits
03-12-2014, 05:23 AM
If your primary detachment is LOTD and you play a game with escalation rules, just against even an Imperial Knight army whose squads are all super heavies, is there any Lords of War/Super heavies you can use since from memory Lords of War/Super heavies have to be from the same army/codex as the primary detachment of your army?