PDA

View Full Version : Special Rule: Fear + Icon of Despair

Richard Tiberius Logue
02-14-2014, 11:37 PM
Does Fear stack (or get added like that in some fashion)?

I ask because I'm looking at Raptors in the Chaos Space Marines Codex (6th edition), and I was thinking I'd want to give them Marks of Nurgle and an Icon of Despair.

The unit already sports the Fear Special Rule by default. The Icon of Despair gives the Fear Special Rule to the unit that runs around with it. Do the two Fears stack in some manner?

If not, then it's a waste of 10 points for the Icon, right?

If it does, in what way does it? Can you point me to the rules in the 6th edition book that explains it.

Thanks! 40K noob here. Returning to the game after a 20-year hiatus.

Richard

jonas the jedi
02-15-2014, 03:48 AM
I don't think it would stack. Haven't even thought about it though. Frankly you just reminded me raptor have fear. Gonna have to move them up my to do list.

Anggul
02-15-2014, 06:57 AM
Yup, doesn't stack, totally pointless.

It's never worth buying an Icon of Despair. Fear is something you just throw onto units pretty much for free, it isn't worth paying extra points for as so many armies are either immune to it or aren't good enough in close combat for it to be worthwhile even if it works.

Chaoschrist
02-15-2014, 07:27 AM
Seems fairly redundant, but then again... it's only 10 points. The only benefit it gives is the little boost in close combat results, which might not be worth 10 points. Adding an Icon of vengeance might be worth more if you want to add an Icon, though IoV is more expensive. That, and fearless raptors seem to be marginally useful. Worth considering if you were to give them Veterans of the long war and run a blob of 10 raptors (and just hope they don't snipe your icon).

Tiberius
02-15-2014, 07:47 AM
Thanks, guys!

That's pretty much what I thought. After I posted this question last night, I looked through the rules again to see if I could find something myself and could not. Didn't there used to be a Special Rule called Terror? Or was that just in Warhammer Fantasy? It was like a super version of Fear, and I might be remembering it wrongly, but two Fears would stack to make a Terror.

Richard

Gleipnir
02-15-2014, 09:35 AM
The Fear effects don't stack, but Icons also add 1 to assault results so it's not totally worthless. I prefer to put my Icons on character models to have the option of Look Out Sir for sniping attacks.

Nabterayl
02-15-2014, 05:44 PM
There's no Terror in 40K. There is a psychic power called Terrify and one or two isolated rules that make Fear worse than it is, but no general case rule whereby two or more Fears do anything special.

Matthew Dix-Williams
02-17-2014, 07:50 PM
It is a shame that fear is so weak, I love the ideology of it (especially with my Night Lord army). If I am honest, I would say that you should count yourself lucky that raptors get it for free, and otherwise just ignore any options to add it.

daboarder
02-17-2014, 09:27 PM
fear should be more like terror and work on ATSKNF. stupid loyalist wank

phreakachu
02-17-2014, 10:04 PM
fear should be more like terror and work on atsknf. Stupid loyalist wank

and they shall know no rules

daboarder
02-17-2014, 10:05 PM
i just call it plot armour these days

Learn2Eel
02-18-2014, 12:04 AM
I have always found the Fear special rule mildly amusing. It works against the units you will beat in combat anyway, but not against the units it would actually be useful against. Oh, and over half the armies in the game (all Space Marines, Tyranids in Synapse, Orks in numbers and Daemons) ignore it pretty much completely. I ask the question.....what is the point?

Contrast that to Fantasy where it works more often, far less units ignore it, and it can actually swing a close combat.

daboarder
02-18-2014, 12:16 AM
hilariously it works best against CSM's because they aren't immune but you can actually effect the outcome by using it on them. IF you remember it, gods know I don't most of the time

Learn2Eel
02-18-2014, 12:19 AM
Which is funny when you think about it as they are supposed to be one of the driving forces for Fear alongside Daemons. That's just so funny how Daemons of all races beat down on Chaos Marines in combat the most......yep. Thanks GW. Just like not letting us be proper Battle Brothers like any other factions, you have to make our closest ally kill us in combat harder than anyone else. Ugh.