PDA

View Full Version : Which unit for army X seems to be the best in it's FOC slot... in a vacuum?

Chaoschrist
02-13-2014, 12:48 AM
Something on my mind, before the entire FOC debate/thread came along on BOLS is the following;

What's the best unit in a certain slot for army X? Currently with the debate of "do we need an FOC at all anymore?" it made me wonder if some units actually still compete for a slot in FOC slot X. Some units seem to be more efficient for less points than any other choice. This might be considered "better than the rest". It's not that strange you see a lot of the same units going around when it comes to playing a game. Perhaps this is more geared towards WAAC players and less geared towards casual players.

So the question is; which unit from codex X is the best for FOC slot Y in a vacuum. Perhaps there are some good arguments to be had why something is better together with something else. Squads of units are fine as are codex upgrades. But making it a conditional thing because you need HQ this, Elite that and Fast attack that to make this Heavy support choice work seems a bit... well, less "in a vacuum". Oh, and we're just going for single FOC "regular" 40k. No escalation or apoc to see here (no matter how "legal" they are now)

To get started

Chaos Space marines - Fast Attack: Heldrake w/ Baleflamer. IMO there'no real reason to play any other of the fast attack choices, unless you're going the fluffy route. Warp talons are way too expensive, bikes are marginally useful, as are raptors. Spawn tend serve specific purposes. A drake with an autocannon just seems odd and not nearly good enough to compete with that baleflamer. And for the amount of point, I think there's not a lot to compete there if you look at how efficient a drake usually operates (save for heavy skyfire/interceptor lists) grinding away light and medium armored vehicles and anything up to MEQ infantry.

So, any other of these "why would I bother with any other units?" type of choices

Lost Vyper
02-13-2014, 01:18 AM
As an Eldar/Dark Eldar player :

FAST : Warp Spiders, now days, who plays Vypers? Shining Spears? Well, Swooping Hawks maaaaaaybe, but i still say hands down Warp Spiders
HEAVY : War Walkers, altough i have switched some for Wraithknight or Wraithlord (for some fluffy Iyanden list), i still feel, that (again, put ya paws down) Walkers for their price = value
TROOP : Eldar Jetbikes...need i say more? Well, yes i do :) 51p for that last minute objective grabbing/denying, plus T4 for Eldar? Yes please...

and Baron (2+ invl. save with dirt cheap ) from the DE HQ´s --> Hellions = troops --> Deep Strike/Hit&run/Shrouded...

and the armies i play against :

Space Wolves :

HEAVY(?) : Long Fangs...cmon, split fire and put a Rune Priest in there...these dudes will drop Wave Serpents, especially if RP gets that Perfect Timing...

NECRONS

TRANSPORT(?) That f´n donut...

IG

TRANSPORT/FAST(?) Vendetta...BEST.PRICE.VALUE.IN.THIS.GAME...and people complain about Wave Serpents, cmon! I can´t take three as a squadron, can i? :eek:

BLOOD ANGELS

Priest..FNP, another of my personal favorites...NOT! :p

ORKS

ELITE(?) Lootas...my personal favorites in their book DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!!! They can kill almost anything!

well, there´s some, from a generals point of view and as an opponent...

ElectricPaladin
02-13-2014, 01:24 AM
I would definitely agree that the sanguinary priest is the best possible use of an Elites slot in the Blood Angels codex... or should I say that three sanguinary priests is the best possible use of an Elites slot. That's probably why I own, at last count, five of them with various kit (one jump with assault gear, one foot with tactical gear, one foot with assault gear) and plan to make a biker as well.

Of the other armies I play...

I think that pathfinders are probably the best use of a Fast Attack slot in the Tau codex, unless you count Forgeworld, in which case it's probably tetras.

In the Sisters of Battle codex (what... it's a codex!) there a couple of units to note. First, we have the battle sister squads. Ok, that's a cruel joke - they're the only Troops choice. The best Heavy Support choice is probably the Exorcist tank.

Eldar_Atog
02-13-2014, 02:00 PM

FAST : Warp Spiders, now days, who plays Vypers? Shining Spears? Well, Swooping Hawks maaaaaaybe, but i still say hands down Warp Spiders
HEAVY : War Walkers, altough i have switched some for Wraithknight or Wraithlord (for some fluffy Iyanden list), i still feel, that (again, put ya paws down) Walkers for their price = value
TROOP : Eldar Jetbikes...need i say more? Well, yes i do :) 51p for that last minute objective grabbing/denying, plus T4 for Eldar? Yes please...

For me, Eldar units are harder to rate since there are so many good options. The only section that is truly dominated is the Elites section. Fire Dragons and WraithGuard easily beat out Banshees and Scorpions. Harliquins are usuable but WG and FD are honestly better.

Almost all of the shooty options in the Eldar codex are great. The close combat... not so much........

Eldar_Atog
02-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Sorry, double post. Please delete this one.

goobi2
02-15-2014, 03:51 PM

Well, Eldar do have a bit of competition. But only in the heavy and troop slots. Warp Spiders encompass the rest of fast attack fairly well. Fire Dragon go unchallenged since good wraith guard should be Troops. But Jetbikes compete with other troop option that may supply a Wave Serpent if you need one. Vauls Wrath/ Knights/ and Walkers can each easily find a place in my lists due to the fantastic threat-cost ratio.