PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Fists 1500

Terminator
02-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Imperial Fists 1500 Tournament
For competitive play. Comments appreciated. Lysander will ride with the Sternguard; the Devastators will split, 3 lascannons in one half and the sergeant and Flakk missile in the other half manning the quad gun.

Lysander 230
5 Sternguard - 5x combi-meltas/1x meltabombs/drop pod 210
10 Marines - Missile launcher/flamer/Rhino 195
5 Bikes - 2x Grav guns/1x combi Grav/1x meltabombs 150
10 Devastators - 3x Lascannon/1x flakk missile launcher 225
Aegis Defense Line - Quad gun 100

Total:1500

xTHExCLINCHERx
02-10-2014, 11:34 AM
I'm not normally a big fan of just using 1 drop pod but if you are going to deliver Lysander that way, have you considered replacing the Sternguard with a command squad? Remember, he's a Captain, so you have access to the Command Squad.

For the same points, they can all have melta guns and even throw in a couple storm shields or melta bombs. I run that pod load-out in my Sentinels of Terra list and it always performs well for me.

I normally don't like mixing the heavy weapons in a dev squad, but I like the idea you have here because it's a 10-man squad, so you can combat squad to have 2 units with diff. purposes. One squad can man the quad gun with the sgt. (making a normal guy BS 5) and flakk missile, while one can shoot at some vehicles/MCs. Nice idea :D

Do you think the Rhinos will make it up the field fast enough to support Lysander's pod? If so, they'll probably be moving flat out, so you won't get too much use out of the missile launchers... maybe try using a combi-plasma / plasma instead?

Let me know how it goes!

Terminator
02-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I hadn't thought of using a command squad instead of Sternguard; it definitely warrants careful consideration. For the same cost I could have 5 veterans, each with meltaguns and meltabombs. I would lose out on the versatility of special ammunition but could instead continue to annihilate any nearby armor or buildings. Something to play test for sure.

I think running tactical squads with plasma/combi-plasma is very sensible but I actually found it to be quite limiting for my play style. During a game, some of my tactical squads may be sitting inside their Rhino near an objective, and being able to fire out of the Rhino hatch had been surprisingly useful at certain stages of the game. The missile launcher, like tactical marines, is versatile but not suited to one particular task.

xTHExCLINCHERx
02-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Sure thing. Good point with the missile launchers, I could see that being useful late-game. Lysander can withstand a lot of firepower, but with an apothecary backing him up, he has an even better chance of survival thanks to a 5+ FnP. (2+/3++ then 5+ FnP? yes please! your opponent will hate that haha)

Terminator
02-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Sure thing. Good point with the missile launchers, I could see that being useful late-game. Lysander can withstand a lot of firepower, but with an apothecary backing him up, he has an even better chance of survival thanks to a 5+ FnP. (2+/3++ then 5+ FnP? yes please! your opponent will hate that haha)

I never thought about the apothecary. Very nice.

xTHExCLINCHERx
02-17-2014, 08:27 AM
Yeah, another cool thing about apothecaries that I'm learning to take advantage of is that they are "characters" and if you want, you can throw them away to a challenge to let Lysander decimate a squad, if the occasion arises where forcing a morale check is more important than winning the challenge :D