PDA

View Full Version : Sabre Defense Platform Crewmen

Lord Krungharr
02-08-2014, 10:50 PM
I was checking out those Sabre Defense Platforms, and the models show a guy on the platform itself without a base. However the rules say it's Artillery, just like the Thunderfire Cannon is, and makes me think it should have a separate model, as it can be fired by a guy 2" away. Are the models designed from older rules?

I'm building my own and it seems to me they crew should be separate and behind the gun, as that at least has a 3+ armor save to help vs weapons that ignore cover (they'll be behind an Aegis Line with a Lord Commissar). Am I wrong about that? Or is there any reason to not give a crap and just mount them on the gun?

DarkLink
02-08-2014, 11:19 PM
The crew is separate. You can't mount them. You must have at least one separate crewman per gun.

Da Gargoyle
02-13-2014, 02:32 PM
The crew is separate. You can't mount them. You must have at least one separate crewman per gun.

Is that in the rules for the gun? It usually is covered for each weapon, for example my Eldar artillery has one crew mounted on the gun and the other optional.

As for the 3+ save, do you mean that in terms of casualties, the gun would be the first one tested ?

DWest
02-13-2014, 03:03 PM
Artillery in 6th edition have toughness and wounds just like infantry, the default being T7, 2W, 3+. So if the gun is up front, it takes the hit first, according to standard wound allocation. You can put crew up front as ablative wounds, but that's usually not a winner for IG.

DarkLink
02-13-2014, 03:31 PM
Yeah, that's just how artillery works in 6th. I'm pretty sure you're playing your Eldar artillery wrong (unless it's a Forgeworld unit with unique rules). Vaul Support Batteries are simply a gun and two crewmen, with options for up to two more guns with two crew each. There's no mounted or not mounted or anything like that. The guns are simply a 2W, T7 model with 3+ armor, and you must have at least one crew within 2" to fire it, and the guns auto-die if their crew dies or flees.

Some artillery may be modeled with mounted crew, but the actual rules require separate crew.