PDA

View Full Version : shield question

xcom
02-01-2014, 02:12 PM
I haven't played WFB in a good 10+ years now. (I think 6th was still out at that point.) I loved the game, but the players basically vanished and moved on to Warmachine/Hordes. I moved to a new location recently and there's a healthy WFB gaming group around here. I was a Dwarf player and with Dwarfs getting new models, and a new army book. I decided to get back into the game. I've been messing around with Army Builder and noticed that I can give shields to a unit/character that carries a great weapon. Maybe the rules changed, maybe army builder is wrong, but I thought a unit/character that carried a great weapon could not equip a shield. (Both of your hands are busy holding the weapon after all.) I don't have the big core book, all I have is the small handbook that came in the Isle of Blood box set. I looked through the book but I couldn't find anything that said you could equip a shield with a great weapon, but then again I couldn't find anything that said you couldn't do it either.

Thanks!

guzkull
02-01-2014, 09:09 PM
I don't have page numbers handy, as I understand things you'd get the shield bonus to your save vs shooting, but not in CC.

ElectricPaladin
02-01-2014, 09:40 PM
I don't have page numbers handy, as I understand things you'd get the shield bonus to your save vs shooting, but not in CC.

I don't have the book either, but this is correct.

guzkull
02-02-2014, 12:31 AM
I've had a quick flick through the IoB rulebook. Page 75, 'Requires Two Hands' answers your question.

Wildeybeast
02-02-2014, 05:06 AM

And indeed magic. Basically, the save from the shield will work Any time apart from combat. It is relatively common for troops with two handed weapons to be able to take shields as well. You just have to consider how much they are going to be in combat and whether it is worth spending the points on shields. Usually it isn't, especially if your dwarfs are already well armoured.

ElectricPaladin
02-02-2014, 11:40 AM
If realism is a concern of yours, remember that it isn't hard to hold a two-handed weapon with one hand, even if it's too unwieldy to fight that way.

xcom
02-03-2014, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the answers. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I could have sworn that you couldn't take a shield upgrade if the unit was equiped with great weapons. Only useable against ranged or magic makes more sense.

Mr Mystery
05-11-2014, 07:58 AM
And important to note.....

If you have hand weapon, shield and a great weapon, you must use your great weapon in combat. No more choice anymore.

wisetiger7
07-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Yah, it is effective for that 17% extra protection for your guys. With dwarves, shields make them a stronger anvil, and giving them a little extra protection while they take 4 turns to cross the battlefield, lol. Thank god for vanguarding stunties!