PDA

View Full Version : Games Workshop new release strategy

angrybear
02-01-2014, 05:30 AM
After today dwarf release there is a big chance that it is an example for upcoming warhammer armies. That means the army book will not be in the first release of an army. So I am curious if people think this will be a good thing for GW? I must admit it worked for me, this is my first pre-order (Thorgrim book and two heroes) since years.

okeyigiveup
02-01-2014, 10:01 AM
I think there would be no more army book for a while after all armies are updated to 8th hard cover. Instead there would only be little updates with WD, and big updates with campaign books (something like T&T or Sigma's blood etc) and/or supplements (like elder one in 40k). That would provide a relatively stable environment for players so we don't need to hesitate if an army would get an update recently, or to worry if an army would not get an update for long long time.

eldargal
02-01-2014, 10:09 AM
I guess GW are hoping to spur a few more spontaneous purchases based on the quality of sculpt rather than rules as by delaying the shipping of the rulebook by two more weeks (assuming pre orders go up next saturday and ship the following week) you give people plenty of time to ogle the models with much less chance of a rules leak from early army book releases. It will probably work for them as a fair chunk of their customer base are collectors first and foremost and another large chunk are happy to buy units which are pretty regardless of rules.

silashand
02-01-2014, 11:36 AM
After today dwarf release there is a big chance that it is an example for upcoming warhammer armies. That means the army book will not be in the first release of an army. So I am curious if people think this will be a good thing for GW? I must admit it worked for me, this is my first pre-order (Thorgrim book and two heroes) since years.

Not for me. I won't buy anything unless I can see how many I might need to play with in a game. As an example with the rumoured move of Thunderers/Quarrellers to Rare choices why would I buy anything until I can see how many I can actually use? Sorry, trying to game me into buying stuff I don't need is not going to work.

As for the collectors argument that makes no sense. If there are as many of them as you suppose, then they won't care what's in the army book in the first place and are likely to buy the new models regardless. I think it's the unaware gamers they are trying to spur with impulse buys. JMO though...

Timmytimmy
02-02-2014, 12:59 AM
Not for me. I won't buy anything unless I can see how many I might need to play with in a game. As an example with the rumoured move of Thunderers/Quarrellers to Rare choices why would I buy anything until I can see how many I can actually use? Sorry, trying to game me into buying stuff I don't need is not going to work.

As for the collectors argument that makes no sense. If there are as many of them as you suppose, then they won't care what's in the army book in the first place and are likely to buy the new models regardless. I think it's the unaware gamers they are trying to spur with impulse buys. JMO though...

Agreed! I am waiting to buy anything dealing with my beloved dwarfs until I know what I need! I am sitting on $500 I saved up to buy the new dwarf army book and models. But I buy the Army book first, read it then after a few days of reading and looking over it I buy the new models that will fit my play style, fill in gaps in my army.

So really this are pushing getting my money back by weeks, if not into next month.

Wildeybeast
02-02-2014, 05:21 AM
I guess GW are hoping to spur a few more spontaneous purchases based on the quality of sculpt rather than rules as by delaying the shipping of the rulebook by two more weeks (assuming pre orders go up next saturday and ship the following week) you give people plenty of time to ogle the models with much less chance of a rules leak from early army book releases. It will probably work for them as a fair chunk of their customer base are collectors first and foremost and another large chunk are happy to buy units which are pretty regardless of rules.

Plus it looks like they are giving us rules for the models in WD. As for me, it doesn't work. Like others, I want to know what stuff does in my army. The old format WD gave me a highlight of the main points through bat reps and articles, so I could pre-order stuff alongside the new book. Unless the models are really shiny, I'm not buying them without having a clue how they work in game.
I also think they have made a mistake in ignoring customer spending habits. Most people get paid monthly and have a monthly budget for gaming. If you know there is new stuff coming for your army during that month but not what, you are going to wait until the end of the month to see what is out before you make your purchases. I see the logic in trying to get people coming into stores every week, but they could do weekly releases and publicise them for the whole month to achieve that.