PDA

View Full Version : News - Rumors Forum Re-organisation

Bigred
01-31-2014, 11:57 AM
OK, we have been growing really fast over the last few months (over 40% growth since September!) and I want to take the regular's temperature on a slight forum re-org.

Basically we are considering consolidating ONLY the "News and Rumors" sections of the entire industry into one industry-spanning sub-forum that would go up top just above the 40K section. We would probably pair it with the Kickstarter forum which has always been rather of an orphan.

So every gamesystem would still retain it's general, tactics, rules, background, etc... where the devotees can talk at length. But everyone would only have to go to the one main News-Rumors forum to keep track of everything new in the industry-regardless of gamesystem:

Pros: Ease of finding news, and better exposure of smaller game systems to our community. Currently, most smaller system news gets lost in their lower traffic sub-forums compared to the big system's news.

Cons: The new forum would be inherently a bit "fuzzy" with all kinds of wargaming systems represented. It would lack the narrow subject-matter tidiness of the current seperate system-specific news-rumors sub-forums.

Discuss

Wildeybeast
01-31-2014, 12:22 PM
Please god no. Please please please no, BR. I'd much rather keep the Warhammer rumours forum to the small number of dedicated players who make the effort to scroll down to it than expose it to the mercies of that hate spewing nonsense that the 40k rumour threads have been of late.

Deadlift
01-31-2014, 12:54 PM
I like the idea myself :)
like you say BR, the exposure of some of the smaller games would be great.

energongoodie
01-31-2014, 02:40 PM
Personally, I am interested in every little titbit of news I can consume on every system I can find. I enjoy finding out about new games and new models so it wouldn't bother me if they were all in together.

Like Dead says, it might expose some people to whole new worlds of gaming :)

Nabterayl
01-31-2014, 02:45 PM
I am indifferent. I only use the 40K news forum, but I don't think it could be that hard to cull the 40K threads out of a combined forum (thread naming guidelines would help).

Denzark
02-01-2014, 04:00 AM
Rumors one place yes. That place including kickstarters no.

That is all.

Mr Mystery
02-01-2014, 04:27 AM
Not for me.

I prefer things separated, as other websites have a single news and rumour, and all you get is people espousing their game of choice in threads which aren't about that game.

Having said that, a generalised GW could work, and help rejuvenate the Warhammer board further!

Mr Mystery
02-01-2014, 05:01 AM
Having said that.... If it's a commercial decision, go for it! The odd numpty is worth the ongoing BoLs!

eldargal
02-01-2014, 08:12 AM
Please god no. Please please please no, BR. I'd much rather keep the Warhammer rumours forum to the small number of dedicated players who make the effort to scroll down to it than expose it to the mercies of that hate spewing nonsense that the 40k rumour threads have been of late.

Agreed. On other forums that I've lurked on for rumours they have that and it is so unwieldy and difficult to navigate it's annoying. WFB things would also get buried between weekly releases and FW releases.

Wildeybeast
02-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Hurray, someone agrees with me. Though I like mystery's idea about a general GW thread. Then stuff like all the chapter house gumph and reviews of WD can go in there, rather than clogging up the 40k news thread.

Mr Mystery
02-01-2014, 01:55 PM
Chapter house do not produce gumph.

They produce Kwality (note the capital K) tat.

Cap'nSmurfs
02-01-2014, 02:24 PM
I'm with Wildeybeast. Don't do it. Nothing good will come of it.

Wildeybeast
02-02-2014, 05:25 AM
Chapter house do not produce gumph.

They produce Kwality (note the capital K) tat.

Do you know, I don't think I've ever actually looked at any models they sell. I got so sick of the endless threads about them vs GW that I honestly couldn't care less. Which is why that stuff needs it's own forum area, not clogging up 40k news and rumours. I know there is the corporate section, but most people don't bother going down that far and just spam the 40k section.

Cap'nSmurfs
02-02-2014, 07:05 AM
What will happen is this. You won't get more exposure to smaller games. No, they'll just get even more obviously drowned out by the 40k rumour wall of noise.

Psychosplodge
02-02-2014, 05:22 PM
I think everything else will just get lost among the 40k stuff.

Bigred
02-03-2014, 12:16 PM
We've gone with a half-way house, that groups all the news related forums together in one place up top, while still keeping the big systems separate.

The Gamewire lounge is no longer read only and people can comment away on any of those news threads.

See how that feels.

Mr Mystery
02-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Do you know, I don't think I've ever actually looked at any models they sell. I got so sick of the endless threads about them vs GW that I honestly couldn't care less. Which is why that stuff needs it's own forum area, not clogging up 40k news and rumours. I know there is the corporate section, but most people don't bother going down that far and just spam the 40k section.

It was their 'Jet Lambretta' that got me. A truly laughable attempt!

Kirsten
02-03-2014, 01:30 PM
We've gone with a half-way house, that groups all the news related forums together in one place up top, while still keeping the big systems separate.

looks good to me

spaceman91
02-03-2014, 01:46 PM
I like the new layout.

Mr Mystery
02-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Works for me!

ACE01
02-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Indeed, best to have it all together.

I like it.

eldargal
02-04-2014, 01:59 AM
I like it.

Wildeybeast
02-04-2014, 12:12 PM
I don't. The Warhammer forum is now further down so less likely to get visitors and it's still getting clogged up with non-game based news and rumours. Grumble grumble grumble.