PDA

View Full Version : what would you pay for a modeling/painting session?

gillus
12-18-2009, 06:32 PM
If your local GW or local hobby store charged you for a one on one session on modeling/painting your models how much would you be willing to pay for said hour session?

If all you had to bring was your models and the rest was supplied.

lobster-overlord
12-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Are you asking about one hour of time at their tables using their paints and tools, but you painting your model?

Nothing. I'd go across town to the store that offers that free of charge (we have one that does...it's a great selling tool, because they also give free lessons).

Duke
12-18-2009, 08:56 PM
If I was a beginning painter I would pay 10-20 for that most likely 10 per session.

eagleboy7259
12-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Depends on the environment. If its a GW store or I know theres going to be someone there who could help out my painting I think I would pay up to $20-30 for it. If it's just pots of paint and everyone for the most part doing their own thing without like a decent and helpful painter there then I would pay $10-20-ish, but without something 'extra' there I would more likely just keep my cash and buy my own paints.

MajorSoB
12-19-2009, 06:48 AM
The correct answer is nothing, zero, ziltch, nada, not a red f-ing cent!

If a store owner values you as a customer and wants to sell his products along with modeling supplies like paint, glue, etc then they will gladly help you learn techniques to use these products free from cost.

I have sat in on several painting demos and with the exception of the overall con fee paid absolutely nothing for them. I have also given many lessons and charged absolutely nothing as well. There are plenty of online sites that will show you techniques especially some good YouTube videos. Someone who enjoys this hobby will be glad to help you and share their knowledge. Anyone who charges is a tool and is missing the boat.

Never pay, period!

Gotthammer
12-19-2009, 10:40 AM
My local GW did something similar - small sessions focussing on specific areas of painting that had limited spots available. There was a class on advanced shading, a class for newer painters wanting to get into the basics of the advanced techniques, and one where the staff would help how you want them to.
Didn't cost a cent and all you needed were your own models and brushes (and you could bring your own paints).

Lerra
12-19-2009, 02:46 PM
I would pay for a session with a very advanced painter or sculptor (especially a sculptor. Green stuff kicks my arse). There are a ton of people willing to teach basic painting for free, though.

agproductions
12-19-2009, 11:00 PM
It depends.

If you're referring to a classroom style setting where there is a qualified instructor, I'd be willing to pay a few hundred dollars (provided they are a REALLY good painter AND can clearly express their methods [I've seen too many great painters that are horrific teachers]).

If you're referring to simply going into a store to sit down and paint with a bunch of people that are there, then I wouldn't pay anything. We had a local store here in town that did that before they went out of business...called it "Paint night". Every thursday night from 10:00pm until usually 2 or 3am friday morning. Great fun, lots of laughs, and best of all, completely free.

Aldramelech
12-20-2009, 02:18 AM
With so much material avalible on the the net, why would you pay?

Vorlon
12-20-2009, 02:33 PM
I agree there is a huge amount of info online (plus places like BoLS full of people who answer my noob questions ^_^) but hands on one on one lessons have helped me out alot. As for how much I would pay...depends on the skill level of the instructor (both painting and teaching skills) my local hobby store has a few golden daemon winners that get together once a month for free painting classes. One of them also won a slayer sword and is a staff painter for reaper......Id glady pay $50-$100 for a couple hours of her time.