PDA

View Full Version : A Tyranid Heavy support choice?

Sonikgav
01-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Im having trouble finalizing a list and it boils down to one issue.

I have a slot in my Heavy support. Currently i have 1 Mawloc and a unit of Biovores but i dont know whats going in that last one. Its definitely between either an Exocrine or a Second Mawloc so please no suggestions of Carnifex Mobs (id like to but cant find the points), Trygons (not much of a fan) or Tyrannofexes (I think the Exocrine out-shoots it).

The questions is which to go with? The list is currently pencilled in with an Exocrine so if i do change to a second Mawloc i have 40 points to play with but both give me a good AP2 Pie Plate on a sturdy body but...

Mawloc
+Pie Plate ignores Cover and hits Twice
+Comes from reserve so cant be taken out before it does its damage
+Can redeploy across the board quickly
-Is stuck in reserve, so may be late to show up.
-Misshap CAN work in my favour but will cost me a Mawloc from time to time but at least AFTER its done its damage.
-Isnt that special when its actually on the board.

Exocine
+More powerfull blast
+Large body to hide other units behind (Venomthropes)
+Starts on the Board so gets to work as soon as its in range
-Only medium range gun and poor Ballistic Skill if Mobile
-Can be focussed on and removed before it gets to do any damage
-Doesnt ignore cover so can be ineffective on heavy Cover boards.

Anything ive missed?

Id just like to get some opinions other than my own because im literally coin tossing right now.

DarkLink
01-27-2014, 09:37 PM
Spamming Mawlocks is overrated. Exocrine.

Tarnag
01-27-2014, 10:44 PM
I'd agree with DarkLink, go with the Exocrine. The threat of a Mawloc almost does more than than the Mawloc itself, and one does that just fine. The Exocrine has done admirably in all of the games I've had him in.

chicop76
01-27-2014, 11:55 PM
Taking two Mawlocks isn't a bad ideal since you are relying on scatter dice to make it useful and two would be better in one, unless you don't scatter often . Also it gives you the option now o have an anti tank unit to possibly assault a tank the following turn.

The Exocrine is ok. Limited range will see half your desired targets staying out its range, unless they noob or stupid. Anyway if he could teleport or deep strikes or even outflank I would think more positive about the unit.

When it comes to nids heavy support I miss my sniperfexes that had like 2 strength 10 hits and a strength 8 pie plate, glancing only back than wasn't bad since at least the vehicle couldn't shoot or do anything.

I find the nid heavy support to be ;*(.

Sonikgav
01-28-2014, 05:56 AM
Admittedly the main draw of the Mawloc for me is the ignore cover part. I love 'bunker busting' the Aegis Armies but i suppose I already have the Biovores to help with that.

More Gunbeasts HO!

GravesDisease
01-28-2014, 07:02 AM
Surely if you land on an Aegis you'll eventually have to mishap due to being unable to place the model on the board?

Daredevil
01-28-2014, 08:02 AM
Mishap is a gift IMO.

You die on a 1. That's bad.

Opponent places and if you're alive you burrow next turn.

Ongoing reserve then it's a case of rinse and repeat. A gift.

Sly
01-28-2014, 08:12 AM
You already have a Barrage unit and a Deep Strike unit to hit hidden opponents. I think that an Exocrine for direct firepower would be a better fit at this point.

Slacker
01-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Surely if you land on an Aegis you'll eventually have to mishap due to being unable to place the model on the board?

As long as the Mawloc has killed all the enemy models, the defense line itself really wouldn't be in-passable terrain or an enemy model (it's battle field debris) it would trigger a dangerous terrain check that MCs will auto pass with 'move through cover' any other concerns of actually physically placing the model on the table fall under 'wobbly model syndrome.'

Phototoxin
01-29-2014, 09:28 AM
Trygon PRIME?

Portable synapse?

Sonikgav
01-29-2014, 10:01 AM
Couple of problems with that.

A. Trygon Prime isn't Heavy Support.
B. Trygon Prime isn't Heavy Support.

I know these are technically the same problem but it's such a big one I figured I'd mention it twice.

chicop76
01-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Trygon PRIME?

Portable synapse?

I Ikea the prime. In 5th I say prime away. In 6th I am leaning towards the Mawlock. Although the prime would help with synapse.

Kevlarshark
01-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Trygon prime is not heavy support?

I think one of us is mixing up the Tyranid prime and the Trygon Prime....could be me.

Sonikgav
01-29-2014, 11:37 AM
I've not got my dex to hand right now but I thought the Trygon Prime had been moved to HQ?

Hey I'm fully capable of being wrong, I just wanted to quote Red Dwarf.

DWest
01-29-2014, 11:42 AM
7063 = Heavy Support
7064 = HQ

Sonikgav
01-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Yeah, got home, checked my Dex, i was wrong.

Either way im not gonna use it. Id need to squeeze another 60 points out of my list to fit one in and although the extra Synapse would help ive already got 2x2 Zoanthropes, a Flyrant and a Tervigon (Basically spread out, almost Diamond formation with the Tervigon at the Back, Flyrant at the front) and besides the Ld 10 guys like Deathleaper and the Genestealers that dont need it, i only have 5 units that really depend on Synapse coverage, 2 of which (Mawloc and Crone) start some of their turns off the board anyway so less rolls.

Maelstorm
01-29-2014, 12:27 PM
For my Heavy Support I'll be fielding:

1 Mawloc
1 Excocrine
3x Biovore

Sonikgav
01-29-2014, 12:36 PM
For my Heavy Support I'll be fielding:

1 Mawloc
1 Excocrine
3x Biovore

I think thats pretty much whats im gonna be going with.

chicop76
01-29-2014, 12:47 PM
7063 = Heavy Support
7064 = HQ

Lol.

Dave Mcturk
02-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Lol.

you lot are so clever... xx

but i play against nidz ... a lot ...

and i hate those damned tyrant guard with two st 8 ignore cover ap4 shots ... kills orcs. kills eldar. possibly not so good against marines !