PDA

View Full Version : GW new customer experience program?

katurian
01-27-2014, 09:51 AM
So I saw this on the interwebs:

http://careers.games-workshop.com/2014/01/15/customer-experience-interim-2-years-nottingham-uk/

"We are looking for someone to spend the next two years turning over every – and we mean every – stone to find opportunities for how we can improve the customer experience in our stores and recommend the ones that will work. We aren’t talking about incremental improvements; we want to completely re-imagine what it is like for people coming into our stores, engaging with and buying our wonderful miniatures"

So I'm curious: what could GW do that would make you want to come back to their stores. How would you reimagine the experience?

I guess the stock price hit maybe woke someone up overthere. Who knows.

Mr Mystery
01-27-2014, 09:59 AM
Quickly armchair neckbearded mother's-basement-dwelling-would-be-captains-of-industry!

Now is your chance to not put Cheetos, but your money where your mouth is and get that direct feedback straight to where it's needed.

Or you could, you know, continue to moan and wail anonymously on the interwebs.

Whichever floats your boat.

Caitsidhe
01-27-2014, 10:11 AM
Quickly armchair neckbearded mother's-basement-dwelling-would-be-captains-of-industry!

I don't fit any of this description but I'll be happy to bite. More information is required however.

Now is your chance to not put Cheetos, but your money where your mouth is and get that direct feedback straight to where it's needed.

Which market are we talking about. I think we have firmly established that the United States and Europe have very different markets and customers. What we Yanks consider customer service appears to be very different. I wouldn't venture a guess anymore as to what makes European customers happy. Games Workshop, by the same note, really shouldn't be guessing what makes us happy either. I'm happy to give feedback, but I'm not certain they really understand the problem and hiring someone with this wording feels like a public relations move.

1. They need to hire a customer relations consultant for each different market. While certain things are universal, others clearly are not.

2. Don't insult our intelligence. They already know what people have be saying they want. They want lower prices, larger stores which provide gaming space, not to get the hard sell every time they walk in the door, and by in large balanced rules.

3. Quit insulting large portions of your customer base.

My commentary is based only on the United States where we don't have lots of clubs or private locations for gaming. We play at our points of purchase which is why we prefer independent stores to Games Workshop which continues to try to sell its wares in matchboxes, not provide gaming space, hard sell everyone who walks in the door, and do not provide bits. Our scene is often driven by friendly, local tournaments and the drive by Games Workshop to get rid of tournaments or discourage them has managed to drive down local gaming. For better or for worse, the tournament is part of the American psyche. It seems odd to alienate a large part of your customer base by talking about them as if they are the plague. :) If you want to be a niche market and not cater to certain people, then by all means don't be surprised when those people take you up on it and find greener pastures.

*Oh and get it through your head that the United States market isn't made up of kids and it probably won't be anytime soon.

Eldar_Atog
01-27-2014, 10:39 AM
1. They need to hire a customer relations consultant for each different market. While certain things are universal, others clearly are not.

2. Don't insult our intelligence. They already know what people have be saying they want. They want lower prices, larger stores which provide gaming space, not to get the hard sell every time they walk in the door, and by in large balanced rules.

3. Quit insulting large portions of your customer base.

My commentary is based only on the United States where we don't have lots of clubs or private locations for gaming. We play at our points of purchase which is why we prefer independent stores to Games Workshop which continues to try to sell its wares in matchboxes, not provide gaming space, hard sell everyone who walks in the door, and do not provide bits. Our scene is often driven by friendly, local tournaments and the drive by Games Workshop to get rid of tournaments or discourage them has managed to drive down local gaming. For better or for worse, the tournament is part of the American psyche. It seems odd to alienate a large part of your customer base by talking about them as if they are the plague. :) If you want to be a niche market and not cater to certain people, then by all means don't be surprised when those people take you up on it and find greener pastures.

*Oh and get it through your head that the United States market isn't made up of kids and it probably won't be anytime soon.

I'd say you are on the right track. Here are my 2 cents:

1) Don't treat the independent stores as your enemy. They are not trying to screw you. Most of them make just enough profit to keep their heads above water. You need their support, GW... they don't necessarily need you.

2) You really need to move to a different release schedule. Most players only have maybe 2 or 3 armies at most. If those armies only get new kits once every 10 years, we are not going to buy from you very often. We're not asking for a new kit for every army every month.. but throw the lesser used armies a bone every once in a while. You might just see people get interested in that under used army if you move their troop choice to a plastic kit....

Mr Mystery
01-27-2014, 10:53 AM
No no no.

Apply for job. Not whine on interwebs.

This Dave
01-27-2014, 10:58 AM
Put a store closer than a 2 hour highway drive to my house and I'd shop there.

silashand
01-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Put a store closer than a 2 hour highway drive to my house and I'd shop there.

I won't go unless there were a decent amount of space to actually game/paint/whatever and then only if I didn't get the hard sell every time I walked in the door. My FLGS knows what I play, they know what I like and they only tend to recommend those things I might actually be interested in. GW wants me to buy a new $1000 army every 3 days. While I think most of the GW staff I have met are nice people personally, them trying to keep their jobs keeps them from making it a pleasant place for me to visit/shop.

Cap'nSmurfs
01-27-2014, 11:21 AM
It's too short notice for the stock drop to be a factor. My guess is that this is part of a broader strategy assessment as they consider the bricks and mortar side of their business. Especially considering the extent to which they're going all-in with digital products and the new webstore.

Basically this is a mystery shopper job, which a lot of companies do.

Wildeybeast
01-27-2014, 11:25 AM
Interestingly, they don't require any actual experience or qualifications for this role, so pretty much anyone can go for it. If it were a permanent position rather than a two year post, I'd actually go for it. Two years travelling round the world, talking to hobbyists about what they want and reporting directly back to the CEO. That's an amazing job.

Mr Mystery
01-27-2014, 11:30 AM
Yup. Plus doesn't mention remuneration, which puts me off as I'm in that enviable/irritating position that I struggle to find a suitable role that pays more than I'm on!

Wildeybeast
01-27-2014, 11:35 AM
Yep, same here. Plus my holidays and job security are pretty rad. You'd get plenty of expenses, but I can't imagine the base salary being amazing for a role where no qualifications or experience are required.

Mr Mystery
01-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Yep, same here. Plus my holidays and job security are pretty rad. You'd get plenty of expenses, but I can't imagine the base salary being amazing for a role where no qualifications or experience are required.

Ditto. My wage isn't exactly earthshaking, but when I can pay 3% into my pension, and they put 13%? Yeah I'm not exactly going to ever walk away from that! Plus health insurance, income protection and that. Safe as houses (unless banks stop being naughty), and good progression.

Really hard to move, even if I wanted to!

Deadlift
01-27-2014, 11:48 AM
No no no.

Dont be silly, not everyone wants to work for GW but it does not mean they can't express their views. Me, GW couldn't afford me. I've employed a few ex staffers and I know the pay is ****e.

Wildeybeast
01-27-2014, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I looked at the manager training course when I left uni and the starting salary was around £16k and that was pre-recession. Plus you had to be willing to be posted anywhere in the country.

GravesDisease
01-27-2014, 12:04 PM
But what if I don't want an overkeen PR department telling me how to eat and what to think (see Microsoft:Xbox for more information).

Brass Scorpion
01-27-2014, 12:23 PM
I can certainly say that the excitement level with the GW hobby appears to be down worldwide given their slipping sales numbers last year. I can also definitely see it in my own little corner of the GW universe, excitement level overall and the rate of gaining new hobby recruits is way down from just a few years ago.

Of course, GW could learn a lot about what's wrong free of charge from paying attention to the more cogent remarks they get from their customers through letters and online. Here's my own recent take on the situation at this link: http://blog.spikeybits.com/2014/01/utter-chaos-gw-past-present-future.html

crandall87
01-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Good to see GW acknowledging their stores need improvement and are doing something about it. Whilst this is a good idea I think in addition to this they should also be looking at successful independent stores and seeing what they do that works as well as looking at what isn't working in existing GW stores.

For example my FLGS is always full of people due to the amount of events and games they run. Granted it's not all Fantasy and 40k but they have managed to attract a lot of local people (such as magic players for example) to these games simply by hosting a lot of small tournaments and letting people game when they like on their tables, which of course attract interest. This is of course easier for independents who already have this customer base in store but it would be good if GW had more activities going on in their store as these will attract more interest from passers by than the boxes on their shelves.

Staff wise I think there should always be at least two staff members (I know it's not cost effective) and they should ditch the whole 'black book' sales mantra. I've been in the hobby on and off since 1998 but at every GW store I visit I'm treated like a n00b and always being offered glues and paints whenever I purchase miniatures and I feel like the staff believe I'm not aware that I need them.

I hope whoever gets the job comes up with some great ideas.

Keef
01-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Fingers crossed, this could be goof news for both GW and us customers if it all goes well!

Profadam
01-27-2014, 12:37 PM
If they are going to change the release schedule (as suggested by Eldar_Atog, above) then, perhaps, they should keep an eye on the sort of conversions people actually do, and either create full kits that make such conversions easier, or increase the amount of available sprues and odd bits available on the online store. More conversion kits, I say!

phoenix01
01-27-2014, 12:39 PM
1. Advertize. TV, Radio, Magazines. Tell people about GW stores, what GW sells, that sort of thing. No one outside the gamer community really knows anything about GW. Get rid of White Dwarf and Warhammer Vision magazines. Use other third party magazines and blogs to tell people.
2. Get rid of the starter kits with the two armies like Dark Vengeance. Instead, take a plastic HQ/hero and two minimum size plastic troop choices/core units from each army, bundle with the starter kit templates, a small pile of dice (10 or so), and downloads for the mini rule book and a stripped down version of the codex/army book for the army in question. And by stripped-down version, I mean just the special rules for the army and the army list: no photos, no fluff, and no descriptions on what a particular unit is. For example, the Space Marine "starter" kit would have the Space Marine Commander, a Combat Squad with the old sergeant sprue, and a Scout Squad, along with the templates, dice, and downloads for $50 (you would essentially get the commander and the extras for free). Realistically, most new people would just buy one, and they wouldn't be saddled with models for an army they might never build. I know GW would take a loss, but so does Sony when they sell the Playstation consoles.
3. Start having coupons, sales, and BOGO offers. What isn't selling, offer at a 20% savings for a week. Allow your local store managers to determine a sale of the week item. Offer courses on how to paint or how to play (like they used to) with a single model kit of the student's choice upon completion up to a certain value ($35 for example). Or buy a tactical squad get a Rhino free. Another idea is to have a birthday program: on your birthday, you get a 10% off coupon on anything in the store and they also get to spam your email with advertisments.
4. Do away with free shipping at $50 for online sales unless shipped to a GW store. Most people buy enough online to get free shipping. So lets say shipping on a single box of Sternguard is $7, that means GW sold the Sternguard for $43 revenue.
5. Reduce prices by 10-20% on current prices, depending on what the box is. I'd be more likely to buy two tactical squads at $35 each and two rhinos at $30 (total of $100) than two tactical squads at $40 and two Rhinos at $37.25 (total of $154.50). I would then put down $50 on a another unit.
6. Get rid of the one man store paradigm. A one man store can't be open seven days a week (which is what most malls want to see). A one man store is ripe for theft.
7. Find better locations. Putting a store in a strip mall with nothing around to draw people to the store isn't going to help make sales.
8. Put a store in every geographic location. There are some US cities with three or four GW stores, but some US states with no GW stores.

Mr Mystery
01-27-2014, 12:56 PM
So who is actually applying?

GW are a good company to work for in both my experience and opinion. You'll be paid to gather, compile and feedback erm....feedback. And get the healthy 50% staff discount.

You could do a lot worse job wise!

brotsorrow
01-27-2014, 01:12 PM
1. Advertize. TV, Radio, Magazines. Tell people about GW stores, what GW sells, that sort of thing. No one outside the gamer community really knows anything about GW. Get rid of White Dwarf and Warhammer Vision magazines. Use other third party magazines and blogs to tell people.
2. Get rid of the starter kits with the two armies like Dark Vengeance. Instead, take a plastic HQ/hero and two minimum size plastic troop choices/core units from each army, bundle with the starter kit templates, a small pile of dice (10 or so), and downloads for the mini rule book and a stripped down version of the codex/army book for the army in question. And by stripped-down version, I mean just the special rules for the army and the army list: no photos, no fluff, and no descriptions on what a particular unit is. For example, the Space Marine "starter" kit would have the Space Marine Commander, a Combat Squad with the old sergeant sprue, and a Scout Squad, along with the templates, dice, and downloads for $50 (you would essentially get the commander and the extras for free). Realistically, most new people would just buy one, and they wouldn't be saddled with models for an army they might never build. I know GW would take a loss, but so does Sony when they sell the Playstation consoles.
3. Start having coupons, sales, and BOGO offers. What isn't selling, offer at a 20% savings for a week. Allow your local store managers to determine a sale of the week item. Offer courses on how to paint or how to play (like they used to) with a single model kit of the student's choice upon completion up to a certain value ($35 for example). Or buy a tactical squad get a Rhino free. Another idea is to have a birthday program: on your birthday, you get a 10% off coupon on anything in the store and they also get to spam your email with advertisments.
4. Do away with free shipping at $50 for online sales unless shipped to a GW store. Most people buy enough online to get free shipping. So lets say shipping on a single box of Sternguard is $7, that means GW sold the Sternguard for $43 revenue.
5. Reduce prices by 10-20% on current prices, depending on what the box is. I'd be more likely to buy two tactical squads at $35 each and two rhinos at $30 (total of $100) than two tactical squads at $40 and two Rhinos at $37.25 (total of $154.50). I would then put down $50 on a another unit.
6. Get rid of the one man store paradigm. A one man store can't be open seven days a week (which is what most malls want to see). A one man store is ripe for theft.
7. Find better locations. Putting a store in a strip mall with nothing around to draw people to the store isn't going to help make sales.
8. Put a store in every geographic location. There are some US cities with three or four GW stores, but some US states with no GW stores.

You have given GW the best advice possible that they probably will not listen too. If after two years the new position finds any other findings than the ones stated, I'll play high elves

Eldar_Atog
01-27-2014, 02:05 PM
No no no.

I have a job that pays better. Not applying for this crappy job...

Mr Mystery
01-27-2014, 02:17 PM
Advert doesn't mention remuneration.

And as for crappy? Hardly. It's quite the opportunity for the right person. A sort of internal customer service Inquisitorial role, reporting directly to the CEO of a market leading multinational, involving a great deal of travel. And based entirely upon your own observation....

Me? I'm not applying, due to reasons already expressed. Plus, I already have an Inquisitorial Mandate (no, really, I do!). I was tempted, but to keep me as is financially, it would need to pay around £30,000 a year and have greater promotional prospects, which is not guaranteed.

Deadlift
01-27-2014, 02:39 PM
So who is actually applying?

GW are a good company to work for in both my experience and opinion. You'll be paid to gather, compile and feedback erm....feedback. And get the healthy 50% staff discount.

You could do a lot worse job wise!

As much as the 50% discount is attractive.......no. ;)
Your easily around double what a store manager earns, would you want 50 % discount in exchange for 50% wage cut lol.
I'm not saying what I paid myself last year but £16000, wouldn't touch the sides no matter how much I enjoy the plastic crack.

Mr Mystery
01-27-2014, 02:49 PM
Indeed, plus career path before me could mean more than doubling my wage within 5 years or so, if I play my opportunities correctly!

But for someone looking for a career, say a recently graduated person this is a serious opportunity, and not to be sniffed at!

Patrick Davis
01-27-2014, 03:28 PM
Which market are we talking about. I think we have firmly established that the United States and Europe have very different markets and customers. What we Yanks consider customer service appears to be very different. I wouldn't venture a guess anymore as to what makes European customers happy. Games Workshop, by the same note, really shouldn't be guessing what makes us happy either. I'm happy to give feedback, but I'm not certain they really understand the problem and hiring someone with this wording feels like a public relations move.

I will go for the position. But thats because I have PR, marketing and the likes to back me up. Its funny, here in Canada there isnt as much pushing for sales in the way GW stores sell their products. Most of the sales of GW products (40K, Warhammer, etc ... ) are not from GW stores. Its from the little guys. The highest selling store for 40K products in Ontario is a privately owned games store. An independent operator that GW has been screwing over. Anyways, your right. Europe vs US markets are very different and value different methods to "sell" a product. But the issues isnt selling so much as costumer service and building the brand back to where the religious buyer feels they are wanted and not used. GW has removed almost everything that made US want to be at their stores. Price, respect, fun and a social environment to enjoy their game(s), are the keys to improving their issues. It doesnt matter where you are in the world, those are what needs to be repaired or rebuilt. Learn from the independent retailers, they at least have a leg up on the GW stores.

Eldar_Atog
01-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Advert doesn't mention remuneration.

And as for crappy? Hardly. It's quite the opportunity for the right person. A sort of internal customer service Inquisitorial role, reporting directly to the CEO of a market leading multinational, involving a great deal of travel. And based entirely upon your own observation....

Money doesn't have to be mentioned.. I can read in-between the lines.

No mention of experience or education tells me all I need to know about this job. Major companies don't offer good salaries to people with no experience and no education.

I've also seen these type of positions before. A work group wants to clean up their operations so they form a mini group to deal with bloated procedures. The mini group will be given a heap of data and will be told that every one of their ideas is not workable. At the end of the project, the mini group will be thanked for their input, watch their memo go into the trash, and be escorted out of the building.

katurian
01-27-2014, 03:56 PM
So I saw this on the interwebs:

http://careers.games-workshop.com/2014/01/15/customer-experience-interim-2-years-nottingham-uk/

"We are looking for someone to spend the next two years turning over every – and we mean every – stone to find opportunities for how we can improve the customer experience in our stores and recommend the ones that will work. We aren’t talking about incremental improvements; we want to completely re-imagine what it is like for people coming into our stores, engaging with and buying our wonderful miniatures"

So I'm curious: what could GW do that would make you want to come back to their stores. How would you reimagine the experience?

I guess the stock price hit maybe woke someone up overthere. Who knows.

I got like 50 pms about this so I thought I would just answer here:

GW says according to their website they do not sponsor non-resident aliens for work permits. So, this job is open only to legal residents of the UK or the EEA.

Cheers friends

Mr Mystery
01-27-2014, 04:02 PM
Money doesn't have to be mentioned.. I can read in-between the lines.

No mention of experience or education tells me all I need to know about this job. Major companies don't offer good salaries to people with no experience and no education.

I've also seen these type of positions before. A work group wants to clean up their operations so they form a mini group to deal with bloated procedures. The mini group will be given a heap of data and will be told that every one of their ideas is not workable. At the end of the project, the mini group will be thanked for their input, watch their memo go into the trash, and be escorted out of the building.

With two years experience answering only to the CEO of a successful multi-national.....

And really? Can read in between the lines? Salary will be ok. No great shakes, but ok. Likely what a UK Manager is on to start (£16k I'm told).

Read the role again. They want someone passionate about the hobby. Not a yes man. Not a negative nancy. Someone who is open to new ideas, to go and gather them.

It's a solid opportunity for the right person. You putting it down isn't going to change that.

And what bloated procedures would those be? I know stuff about GW most don't, on account of having been on (and failed) their management course back in 2010. My info is likely out of date now, but I know their sales ethos better than most. It's pretty straight forward stuff, and easy to get right, but just as easy to get wrong.

This seems like they're looking to refine this further, or possibly go an entirely different route. We won't know until whoever lands the job has completed their report and made their observations.

But seeing as you're clearly an expert in this, why not simply write something to GW and save them two years wage?

daboarder
01-27-2014, 04:39 PM

Seriously Mystery, you may be only joking but you sound like a **** when you comment like this, how about you be constructive or just ignore them.

Eldar_Atog
01-27-2014, 04:45 PM
With two years experience answering only to the CEO of a successful multi-national.....

And really? Can read in between the lines? Salary will be ok. No great shakes, but ok. Likely what a UK Manager is on to start (£16k I'm told).

Read the role again. They want someone passionate about the hobby. Not a yes man. Not a negative nancy. Someone who is open to new ideas, to go and gather them.

It's a solid opportunity for the right person. You putting it down isn't going to change that.

And what bloated procedures would those be? I know stuff about GW most don't, on account of having been on (and failed) their management course back in 2010. My info is likely out of date now, but I know their sales ethos better than most. It's pretty straight forward stuff, and easy to get right, but just as easy to get wrong.

This seems like they're looking to refine this further, or possibly go an entirely different route. We won't know until whoever lands the job has completed their report and made their observations.

But seeing as you're clearly an expert in this, why not simply write something to GW and save them two years wage?

I've got about 15 years experience as a business analyst so I know a thing or 2 about how companies work. Since most companies won't hire even entry level applicants without a master's and 5+ years experience, I doubt this is much more than a publicity stunt.

I've actually talked to a few people that have interviewed for jobs at the programming manager level at GW's US headquarters and the general vibe was that of a sweat shop with crap pay. Stuff like offering people 80,000 dollars for jobs that would pay 120-150 thousand dollar range at other companies in the Memphis area. If GW is going to offer people with master's degrees, multiple certifications (including SAS), and 10+ years of experience this kind of package, then what are they going to offer someone with 0-2 years experience and no education requirements?

I might not know specifics about GW but I have seen these type of "oppurtunities" before. I've been tasked with this type of "get new ideas" thing before. You spend the course of the project researching the current methods/procedures while managers dismiss each idea as "Not the way we want to go". In the end, I was lucky... I didn't get a pink slip but had to watch every idea get thrown away. I did get to watch several other co-workers get walked out by security after working these type of projects.

I actually feel sorry for whoever gets the job. Their expectations are going to get crushed.

riknight1972
01-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Never mind the new customers,how about the rewards program you guys had way back when and lower the bloody price's so one don't have to decide mortgage payment or box set. yes new customers are great but help retain your older ones and those who are coming back into the hobby.

Caitsidhe
01-27-2014, 10:45 PM
No no no.

They couldn't afford me. :) More to the point, it isn't a real job offer. They aren't looking to hire real consultants, i.e. experts in the field. They are looking to hire "interns" who will tell the company the answers it already wants to get back. The only point of the exercise is to pretend they care what we think and are taking steps to get our opinions. This also comes right out of the book on how to try and repair public relations.

STEP ONE: Establish/create a position (or begin study) to look into problem of how to provide better customer service. This gives impression you care.
STEP TWO: Ensure that said person or study gives you exactly the answers you want so you look like you were already doing a great job.
STEP THREE: Tell everyone how successful the study was and congratulate yourself in public/advertising way to reinforce how much you care.

A company serious about improving its customer service doesn't hire interns. There are professionals who already provide this service (entire companies of them) who could evaluate their company, services, product, etc. and make the appropriate suggestions to them within one quarter. Wouldn't it be better to get professionals with actual credentials in to do the job and provide that customer service quickly rather than hiring interns with no credentials required and promise to look under every stone for the next two years to figure out what to do next?

ACE01
01-28-2014, 06:35 AM
Not to take any sides in the debate, but as GW has a very spiky sales cycle, from my experience I don't think 3 months would offer sufficient insight to their trends. To understand their ethos and sales tactics, perhaps, but to understand fully across a global org, I don't think 3 months is a big enough window.

Wolfshade
01-28-2014, 07:00 AM
I believe that the shift from omnthly to weekly releases is an attempt to smoothe that sales spikes.

Verchild
01-29-2014, 08:08 AM
What I think they should do is have this position go in "under cover" get a feel for how the location operates. This person would go into a location and hobby or play a game.
No better way to see how each of these stores prosper or fail then being a fly on the wall, and not coming in announcing "I'm from Corporate, how do you do things!".
I can't think of a time when higher ups coming to check out how you do your job DOESN'T make you change your normal habits.

biffster666
01-29-2014, 11:18 AM
I was a systems manager on the CA Title XIX account until the end of 2011. I used to outlook more $ for 'space' over a 12 month period than GW profits in a 12 month period, and that was for less than 3,000 people. I'm just saying.

Do you know what those 'consulting firms' rates are? I'm just saying.

I had to get a smog check to register my vehicle last week and a woman who had two very young children (boy and girl) with her asked about my otter I keep my ipad in. Her son was playing with an ipad mini and she mentioned 'needing' a second one so they wouldn't fight over it. I'm just saying.

I've actually talked to a few people that have interviewed for jobs at the programming manager level at GW's US headquarters and the general vibe was that of a sweat shop with crap pay. Stuff like offering people 80,000 dollars for jobs that would pay 120-150 thousand dollar range at other companies in the Memphis area. If GW is going to offer people with master's degrees, multiple certifications (including SAS), and 10+ years of experience this kind of package, then what are they going to offer someone with 0-2 years experience and no education requirements? I haven't laughed that hard in a long time, thank you!!!!

Please don't misunderstand folks, you make some very valid points. This position is specific to the UK but I'm definitely going to make some inquires here in the US. It's all good!

Veteran Sergeant
01-29-2014, 01:25 PM
I've got about 15 years experience as a business analyst so I know a thing or 2 about how companies work. Since most companies won't hire even entry level applicants without a master's and 5+ years experience, I doubt this is much more than a publicity stunt.

I've actually talked to a few people that have interviewed for jobs at the programming manager level at GW's US headquarters and the general vibe was that of a sweat shop with crap pay. Stuff like offering people 80,000 dollars for jobs that would pay 120-150 thousand dollar range at other companies in the Memphis area. If GW is going to offer people with master's degrees, multiple certifications (including SAS), and 10+ years of experience this kind of package, then what are they going to offer someone with 0-2 years experience and no education requirements?

I might not know specifics about GW but I have seen these type of "oppurtunities" before. I've been tasked with this type of "get new ideas" thing before. You spend the course of the project researching the current methods/procedures while managers dismiss each idea as "Not the way we want to go". In the end, I was lucky... I didn't get a pink slip but had to watch every idea get thrown away. I did get to watch several other co-workers get walked out by security after working these type of projects.

I actually feel sorry for whoever gets the job. Their expectations are going to get crushed.
This was my take. I'm probably tailor-made for this sort of position. I've been with the hobby almost 20 years, I have over a decade of experience and I've spent the last four years with a company that sells luxury products and is an industry leader in customer service.

But, like you, I don't have a ton of faith that this position would be anything other than completely demoralizing as every idea was dismissed. Games Workshop's consumer experience problems start at the top level, not at the stores. If you set sales goals for managers but then force them to push a product that is hard to sell and priced out of the market, they're always going to turn to the hard-sell, no matter what you actually want them to do. What they need is a new corporate mentality and philosophy, not a face-lift at the customer-facing level. I'm not going to both laundry-listing, but really, for a position like this to be effective, they need to hire someone with legitimate experience, and be ready and willing to accept those recommendations with a serious air. I feel like the distinct lack of qualifications and requirements on the posting lends question to the importance of this position. Job postings like this need to be weeding out the under-qualified at the application level.

Honestly, the proposition of travel and interaction at the ground level with hobbyists is cool. I wouldn't even be hesitant to temporarily relocate to the land of cold and fog for a few years. But when you get to the professional level where you're qualified for this position like I am, and it seems a few others here are, a posting like this doesn't even seem superficially interesting because it doesn't sound like a legitimate position. This position needs to be influential at all levels of the business model, and cooperative across multiple departments.

The last thing I need is an employee discount and incentive to spend more money on plastic toys, lol. But I would be happy to work for a company which produces a product I enjoy and have a sentimental attachment to. Even if the pay wasn't that great, as long as it was reasonable I'd do it just for the experience of working for GW. I'd like to be part of an effort that helps turn around perception of GW among existing fans and miniatures enthusiasts, as well as designs a new business plan for enticing new customers (essential to the long term survival of the business). But really, is this that kind of job? Color me skeptical.

They are looking to hire "interns" who will tell the company the answers it already wants to get back.
While you make good points elsewhere, it says "interim" not "intern" lol. Interim, as in a temporary position, not a permanent one.

Caitsidhe
01-29-2014, 03:58 PM
While you make good points elsewhere, it says "interim" not "intern" lol. Interim, as in a temporary position, not a permanent one.

That error is priceless and going into my scrapbook. That will teach me to read quickly at three in the morning.

Kaptain Badrukk
02-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Personally I went for it. It's outside of my field, and I'll grant you that there's better paid work out there etc, but I feel it's a chance to actually have a positive impact.
I know it's easy to be cynical about their motivations, but they have a history of admitting mistakes and trying to fix them as well as their current ethos of not doing that.
TBH I doubt that this role will have ANY say on things like pricing, but I'm willing to go in with no preconceptions about what is and isn't going to work for GW and see what happens.
Maybe I sound naive in that respect, but I honestly think there's a chance here for someone willing to slug it out to find some ways to make things better.
My wife may be less than happy with me being away so much mind you......

Deadlift
02-03-2014, 01:36 AM
Good for you, keep us posted on how you get on.

Kaptain Badrukk
02-11-2014, 08:35 PM
And the rejection email has arrived, very politely worded.

Hello {Kaptain Badrukk},

Our Chairman, Tom Kirby, has reviewed your application in line with our requirements and unfortunately we will not be taking your application further on this occasion.

We hope this does not deter you from applying for jobs with us in the future.

Thank you for your interest in this job.

Kind regards,

Ruth Moore
Personnel Team

Anyone make it through?

daboarder
02-11-2014, 08:40 PM
hahaha yeah Bull**** the chairman reviewed it. I mean unless that guy actually does think he is some grand high overseer.

Wolfshade
02-12-2014, 02:14 AM
hahaha yeah Bull**** the chairman reviewed it. I mean unless that guy actually does think he is some grand high overseer.

A lot depends on the actual number of applicants, and how far the application actually got through.

daboarder
02-12-2014, 02:39 AM
no, just no.

Unless GW is run completely differently to other comparatively sized business......(which it may be given their PR decisions) the CEO ( Who in this instance is also the acting chairman) is not personally reading the applications for a customer experience program.....I mean at most they might be asked to give the official ok and rubber stamp it but they're aren't going to be the one who goes through the applicant, its a colossal waste of their time.

Wolfshade
02-12-2014, 03:19 AM
le sigh. Please daboarder tell us how GW operate and what Kirby spends his time doing minute by minute...

HR will obviously make the first pass and do a round of weeding.
Then the persons line manager would do the next pass and do more weeding.

It could concivably, get the the point where there are a few candidates which he did look at, after all a new role with a new vision would have to be in line with CEO's new direction.

I admit that it is a long shot, but it is not beyond the realms of possibility.

daboarder
02-12-2014, 03:35 AM
oh grow up wolfshade.

All I said was that it seems bloody unlikely for the CEO and acting chairman of the board to bother with actually reading the applications for this thing.

And given my source of information on what a board member of a company the size of GW's is likely to do has 30+ years of executive experience as a CFO and board member I'm going with his thoughts on the matter.

Edit: I'll even throw in a caveat before you try and accuse me of some sort of rabid anti-GW sentiment.
Throwing his name at the top is not that uncommon, just don't read into it.

Psychosplodge
02-12-2014, 03:57 AM
On the otherhand the position is directly working for the ceo/chairman whatever it was...

jonsgot
02-12-2014, 04:24 AM

Reviewed by telling HR it's for UK residents only.

Wolfshade
02-12-2014, 06:24 AM
oh grow up wolfshade.

All I said was that it seems bloody unlikely for the CEO and acting chairman of the board to bother with actually reading the applications for this thing...

No, you didn't, you might have intended to. If you had done so I would have agreed with you.

As an aside I wonder how big GW actually is. If you remove the point of sales, then it is quite a small operation anyway. So maybe he is not that far removed from the HQ day-to-day operations.

As it is we won't know who actually looked at it and can just sit back and let armchair speculation commence.

Mr Mystery
02-12-2014, 06:48 AM
As a former employee, and a management candidate, I can tell you the 'suits and boots' division....is really really tiny. It's not rank upon rank upon rank. At all.

It's a relatively small office. No more than 20 people I'd say.

Kaptain Badrukk
02-12-2014, 09:55 AM
I've had long enough dealings internally with GW to genuinely believe that Tom Kirby may read applications for something he's interested in, but at the same time I'm not massively fussed if he didn't as long as someone bothered.
I genuinely hope they bring in an outsider (not necessarily from the company, but from the inner circle at least), if they give the post to someone who's got blinkers on they're gonna mess it up.

Reviewed by telling HR it's for UK residents only.
I'm a UK citizen btw, so that's not an issue.