PDA

View Full Version : My Full Infantry Guard List - 1850

Halollet
01-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Here's my Imperial Guard. I play with one rule; Nothing with an armour value.

Crazy right? Crazy when my opponent takes 100 models off the table of mine and I still win! :D

Here's my list for your critique.

HQ

Company Command Squad - 220
Creed, Regimental Standard, Vox, Astropath, BodyGuard x2, Camo Cloaks

Primaris Psyker

Elite

Marbo

Psyker Battle Squad x9 - 100

Troops

Veterans - 155
Harker, Grenade Launcher x3, Missile Launcher

Veterans - 120
Plasmagun x3, Vox Caster

Veterans - 100
Sniper Rifle x3, Auto Cannon, Vox Caster

Infantry Platoon
Platoon Command Squad -55
Vox, Meltagun x2

Infantry Squad - 120
Flamer, Vox, Power Axe, Meltabombs, Commissar, Power Axe
Infantry Squad - 55
Flamer
Infantry Squad - 55
Flamer

Infantry Squad -70
Grenade Launcher, Auto Cannon, Vox
Infantry Squad -65
Grenade Launcher, Auto Cannon

Special Weapons Squad -60
Flamer, Demo Charge

Special Weapons Squad -60
Flamer, Demo Charge

Heavy Weapon Squad -105
Lascannons

Heavy Weapon Squad -90
Missile Launchers

Heavy Weapon Squad -75
Heavy Bolters

Fast Attack

Rough Rider Squad x8 -85
Meltabomb

Fortifiation

Aegis Line with Quadgun - 100

1850 points
130 models

I use Creed to outflank the large blob with the commissar with the Primaris. Harker finds a side armour. Psykers drop other's ld or blast away. Lots of orders to throw around and dakka dakka dakka.

What do ya think?

Katharon
01-26-2014, 09:49 PM
Regarding your platoons: I would highly advise against putting heavy weapons inside of regular infantry squads. Far better to simply put them in heavy weapon squads where they can keep back in cover while the infantry squads do their cannon fodder duties. Also, I'd be happier putting heavy bolters inside of Veteran Squads, and putting Autocannon inside that heavy weapon squad.

I'm not overly fond of Psyker battle squads -- Inquisition henchmen psyker squads are so much better sadly -- so I'd invest in a 10-man Ratling squad (or split it in two squads of 5) to give yourself some extra sniper/infiltrator units.

If you're going to take Rough Riders, then you really really really should take Mogul Kamir. He has too many useful upgrades and USRs that benefit that squad to not take him for a mere 40 points. I'd happily drop a few vox sets and power axes for him.

Anggul
01-27-2014, 04:16 AM
To add to Katharons point about heavy weapons, putting them in heavy weapons teams means you can order all of your heavy weapons at once, making them much more effective.

Gleipnir
01-27-2014, 09:17 AM
Disagree about Heevy Weapons not being included in Infantry squads as I see a use for it, among them they are less expensive overall when placed in an Infantry Squad have the advantage of a sergeant for higher leadership and gain access to commisars and Vox, I would add the caveat that things like Heavy Bolters are better suited to the squad though since its likely be shot at the same targets as the rest of the unit instead of say Autocannons/Lascannons/Missile Launchers which you're often going to want to shoot at vehicles the rest of the units lasgun fire will be wasted on. though using them that way buried in a 10 man squad holding a backfield objective does no harm and can actually better absorb attacks that might otherwise kill the Heavy Weapon team.

Issue is aside from those reasons and in the case of the Heavy Bolter(one of the less appealing heavy weapons) its almost always better to arrange your units for specific battlefield functions to get the most out of orders.

I usually run my guard unit as two 30 man combined infantry squads with 3 heavy bolters and 3 autocannons, my Lascannons, Missile Launchers and Mortars I run as separate Heavy Weapon Teams and I throw in a couple of special weapon teams for Flamers/Meltas/Plasma

This Dave
01-27-2014, 09:20 AM
I'm actually a fan of HWTs in infantry squads. They give the squad more hitting power, especially when camping on an objective, and are a LOT less vulnerable than the HWSs on their own as there are a lot of bodies to shield them.

The other guys are right about the Heavy Weapon Squads being more effective, especially with Orders. I would suggest moving the Autocannons to their own HWS and putting the Heavy Bolters in the infantry and Veteran squads. The reason I say this is the Heavy Bolter's rate of fire is high enough you'll probably get some hits even when Snap Shooting while moving, and those hits are a lot harder than a Lasgun. Also, a HWS of Autocannons makes a decent backup AA unit, especially if you can order it to reroll misses.

Katharon
01-27-2014, 07:58 PM
The reason for putting heavy weapons in HWSs is so they that can remain as far back as possible in cover. Infantry squads should always be your front line, acting as a buffer if nothing else, from your more important assets. As such it is rather foolish, imho, to put heavy weapons inside infantry squads. If, however, you've never had any problems with doing as you suggest, you two above me, then cheers! No problem if that works for you, but from over eight years experience, I can with dead certainty recommend that you should never put heavy weapons inside infantry squads (especially not blobs).

This Dave
01-28-2014, 09:33 AM
The reason for putting heavy weapons in HWSs is so they that can remain as far back as possible in cover. Infantry squads should always be your front line, acting as a buffer if nothing else, from your more important assets. As such it is rather foolish, imho, to put heavy weapons inside infantry squads. If, however, you've never had any problems with doing as you suggest, you two above me, then cheers! No problem if that works for you, but from over eight years experience, I can with dead certainty recommend that you should never put heavy weapons inside infantry squads (especially not blobs).

Yeah it's a matter of preference. I've been playing Guard since the RT days (still have a couple egg Sentinels around somewhere) so having heavy weapons in squads is tradition. I stopped it once combined squads became an option but now in 6th that you can Snap Shot with them on the move I've found Heavy Bolters especially useful in blobs. On average they hit on the move as well as a Guardsman with a Lasgun but a LOT harder and give the squads better firepower if they camp on something. I keep the low rate of fire/high strength weapons in their own squads so I can order them more effectively and don't waste a lot of guys standing around, plus they don't hit very often using Snap Shots.