PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Point Ultramarines (Beginner Needs Help)

Heirophant
01-25-2014, 04:02 PM
I posted a list similar to this online and this is the result of the feedback.

HQ — Chief Librarian Tigurius — 165 Points

HQ — Command Squad — 4 Meltaguns — 140 Points

Dedicated Transport — Drop Pod — 35 Points

Elites — 8 Sternguard Veterans — 186 Points

Dedicated Transport — 35 Points

Troops — Tactical Squad — Plasma Gun, Combi-Plasma — 165 Points

Dedicated Transport — Rhino — 35 Points

Troops — Tactical Squad — Meltagun, Combi-melta — 160 Points

Dedicated Transport — Drop Pod — 35 Points

Troops — Tactical Squad — Plasma Gun, Combi-Plasma — 165 Points

Dedicated Transport — Rhino — 35 Points

Troops — 5 Scouts — Sergeant Telion, Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks — 129 Points

Fast Attack — Stormtalon Gunship — Skyhammer Missile Launcher — 125 Points

Heavy Support — 3 Centurions — Grav weapons — 250 Points

Heavy Support — Vindicator — 125 Points

Heavy Support — Predator — Lascannons — 140 Points

Fortifications — Aegis Defence Line — Icarus Lascannon — 85 Points

2000 Points

I would really like to have some feedback about the list before I spend any money on it. I am aiming for a semi-competitive list. One that will win in friendly play and stands a chance in a tournament.

Thank You.

The Shrike
01-26-2014, 03:49 AM
You've got some suboptimal selections in here.

First, the low-hanging fruit: 10 points for an omniscope on the gravcents...no brainer.

Forget Telion on the scouts. Scouts are good as a cheap scoring option that hide in reserves, then walk on and go to ground on an objective late. That's about it. No use investing points in them to make them killers.

If you're going drop pods, go all in; or have just 1 so it auto-arrives, does it's job, and dies. The command squad could do this for example if you converted to Rhinos across the board, but then Tiggy would have to ride with the Sternguard. I'd suggest going all-in on pods though.

Vindicators just aren't very good any more when you're leaving something like a Stormraven or Thunderfire Cannon on the sidelines for the slot. Same with Predators. I'd dump them both for a Stormraven. That leaves you 65 points; enough for another scout squad with cloaks to play hide-and-go-seek on objectives late.

Katharon
01-26-2014, 09:23 AM
Not bad overall, but I have a few suggestions:

1) Give the Sternguard unit some combi-weapons. A couple combi-meltas or combi-plasmas would be a nice touch to give them some extra kick.

2) Drop the Scout squad & Telion (see #3 for why).

3) Lose the grav weapons from the Centurions. They don't need to be that close. Equip them with lascannons and missile launchers and give their sergeant the omni-scope thing that gives them split-fire. Makes them far more deadly and gives you some extra killing power at range.

4) Icarus Lascannon is OK, but the Quad autocannon is a lot better. I would advise, again, finding a way to fit that in. Possibly have one of your tactical squads hoof it on foot instead of trundling around in a Rhino.

5) Drop the Predator and get a 2nd Vindicator. Having one of each is kind of too wishy-washy. Two vindicators matched up with the Centurions for back-up is a potent and powerful mix.

xTHExCLINCHERx
02-19-2014, 03:33 PM
Might be a bit late for feedback, but maybe this will help:

The first thing to do would be drop the tanks for 2 Thunderfire Cannons. It saves you points, and they will be useful in just about any army you build. TFCs have a purpose against every type of enemy... their multiple types of ammo are priceless.

I agree with the drop-pod comments above, where it's all or nothing; if you do go all pods, give the sternguard some combi-plasma and go MC hunting turn 1. Expect to lose them, so don't put your warlord with them, but target the MC that will be most deadly to your Centurions (see below).

I agree with the Omni-scope, regardless of the weapon load-out for the Centurions. Personally, I'd keep the grav load-out and put Tigurius with them, and roll for: gate of infinity to teleport them around, forewarning for the invuln save, and perfect timing/prescience as a backup. Most games you will probably get this because Tigurius is amazing :D

As for Seargenat Telion and the snipers on the Aegis/Icarus (If you really want to use them)... I get what you're going for, with the "lascannon-precision-shot-sniper" thing happening... but if you are going to do that, I'd use the quad gun for MORE precision shots rather than ONE STRONG shot (forcing multiple invuln. saves, which your targets will probably have, will most times pay off better than just one that ignores armor... unless you're sniping sergeants or nobs or something... go with the quad gun). I would put more scouts in that unit though for ablative wounds, b/c he will certainly become a hot target and be look-out-sir-ing a lot.

Hope that helps!