PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a New (Old) Tau SC: Aun'shi

Herald of Nurgle
12-18-2009, 08:08 AM
I always liked the idea of an Ethereal kicking *** and taking names, so I chose Aun'shi. Aun'shi was in 3rd edition Tau 'dex, but was then excluded from 4th ed and sent to the website - where he was subsequently eaten by Tyranids and joined the Squats.

This is a remake, based upon how I THINK a kickass Ethereal would look like. I've included 'Blade Techniques' - special uses for the Honour Blade which most Ethereals would wield. In my Tau Empire redux, there's something like 14 of these which can be purchased with varying effects. Aun'shi uses a few 'unique' ones.

I should note that all Tau units gain the following special rules even without Aun'shi or other special characters in the army:
For the Greater Good: This is an army wide special rule. Tau forces believe that even in death they will have accomplished something for the master cause. All Tau units are Stubborn, and when they Fall Back they may immediately regroup (they may then shoot, but not move or assault).
Ta'lissera Bond: This is an army wide special rule. Certain members of Tau society undertake the Ta’lissera, and become even greater comrades than before. Units with this special rule gain Relentless if their squad is under 50% strength.

Here 'e is. (Note: This was originally in a tabular form, but was screwed over in the transfer from Word -> Forums)

Aun'shi and Honour Guard retinue - 220pts, HQ choice
Aun'shi
WS 4, BS 4, S 4, T 4, W 3, I 4, A 3, Ld 10, Sv 4+, Inv 4+
Guards
WS 3, BS 4, S 4, T 3, W 2, I 3, A 2, Ld 9*, Sv 4+, Inv 5+
(note: Guards may never pass their leadership onto other members of their unit)

Unit Type: Independent Character, and Infantry. The unit is composed of Aun’shi and four Guards, which altogether count as a single Independent Character for the purposes of joining units.

Wargear:
Aun’shi and his Guards each bear an Honour Blade – this bonus is included in their profiles.

Special Rules
For the Greater Good, Ta’lissera Bond, Acute Senses

Defender of the Good: Aun’shi is known and feared as a deadly Ethereal. If the Tau win a combat involving Aun’shi, then the enemy unit must immediately make a Morale Check against Ld4 or fall back.
Assault Phase Blade Techniques: At the beginning of each turn of combat, Aun’Shi may choose a different Blade Technique from the list below.
Inspiring Presence: All friendly units with line of sight to Aun’shi may use Ld9 for any leadership based tests.
The Price of Failure: If Aun’shi should fall, all models in the army must take a Morale Check. Those that pass gain Furious Charge, and Fleet, while those who fail will fall back as usual without benefit from 'For the Greater Good'. The unit which killed Aun’va is also worth 1 extra Kill Point to the Tau Player.

Blade Techniques:
Strike Uncalled: Aun’shi loses an attack, but gains +2 Initiative for this turn.
Mirror the Foe: Both Aun'shi and any opponent that he attacks this turn will lose 1 attack this turn.
Swiftness of the Dead: Aun’shi loses 1 T and 1 I, but gains +1 A and 1 S.
Duellist Stance: Aun’shi loses his Invulnerable Save, but his opponent loses their Invulnerable Save too for this turn.
Split Stave: Aun’shi loses the benefits of his Honour Blade and is left with a 6+ Invulnerable Save, but gains +2 A this turn.

Atrotos
12-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Herald of Nurgle you know better - this is not supposed to be here.

Anyhoo: Ethereals that are good is a great idea. In particular I was intriqued by his whole unit acting as Independent Character - very cool.

For the Greater Good: could just say 'Stubborn', no need to write an essay

I think you need a special rule to explain why this guy has a 4++.

I'm at a loss as to how he and his pals gained such an awesome Initiative stat. I realize you're trying to make it so they can actually swing before they get mauled in combat but the Blade Techniques already have a solution for that. I would drop Ini. by 1 for the Ethereal and his guards.

You've doubled up on special rules - there's two ways that this guy gives Tau Furious Charge. I would change Ta'lissera Bond to just one Special Rules when under 50% to make it simpler. How often is there gonna be one FW left? In my experience either they take a couple of casualties from shooting or they're wiped out in assault.

Lol you gave a TAU a special rule called "Hardened Brawler?" I admire your courage but this seems completely out of place even in a kick *** unit like this.

The Blade Techniques are going to need a lot of playtesting. I suspect you only end up keeping three of them for simplicity's sake.

If Tau had Rage they would automatically lose.

-I would have liked to see an option to give each FW squad an honor guard when you take this guy.

-I would have like to see a every Firewarrior gain BS 4 when this guy leads the army (isn't that what ethereals do now?)

-I think this guy needs some kind of psychic defense but the explanation for it would have to be really good.

God I love homegrown rules.

Herald of Nurgle
12-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Cheers for actually giving feedback, lol.

Just noticed that For the Greater Good IS a carbon copy of Stubborn, lol. Imma thinking I might have to change it a bit. Also, Ta'lissera changes seem ok now lol - it simply ties in both to the lack of bonding knives and also due to the fact that i've got a remake of Farsight, Shadowsun, AND Aun'va cooked up. The Ta'lissera applies to ALL units REGARDLESS of whether Aun'shi is purchased - he and Aun'va simply make it easier for the army to get it, that's all.

The Invulnerable is simply an improvement on what MY Honour Blades give (+1 Strength Power Weps, and to Ethereals it's a 5+ Invulnerable). Honour Guard are badass Ethereals who were told 'yes you can go into the Fire Caste too' after all.

You are right about their Initiative. I'm reducing each by 1 - afterall, they CAN just use the FWs in the same squad as fodder.

I'm reducing the power of Split Stave and Mirror the Foe - both of those are more obviously 'OP'.

Price of Failure gives Rage because, honestly, that's what the fluff seems to call out for. No longer do the Tau take a Morale Check and run - now, they take a leadership check and run... towards the guys who killed the Ethereal. That's a common change across everything i'm doing now, since technically that's the same as what should happen for countless other races.

Hardened Brawler is a state of mind, lol. Protector of the Good sound better?

If you're wondering - i've linked 'Honour Guard' to Crisis Commanders now, since it makes a bit more sense to me. I love the idea of people taking Farsight armies and having killer Tau.

Nabterayl
12-18-2009, 02:00 PM
-I would have like to see a every Firewarrior gain BS 4 when this guy leads the army (isn't that what ethereals do now?)
What they do now is allow you to re-roll Morale tests. That's actually one of the reasons why Aun'Va's ability (Stubborn) is arguably bad, because a regular ethereal allows you to re-roll all Morale tests. Which means it's like Combat Tactics and ATSKNF light - take 25% casualties in the Shooting phase, re-roll your Morale test to make sure you fail and can Fall Back, then re-roll your Morale test to re-group.

Herald of Nurgle
12-18-2009, 02:13 PM
What they do now is allow you to re-roll Morale tests. That's actually one of the reasons why Aun'Va's ability (Stubborn) is arguably bad, because a regular ethereal allows you to re-roll all Morale tests. Which means it's like Combat Tactics and ATSKNF light - take 25% casualties in the Shooting phase, re-roll your Morale test to make sure you fail and can Fall Back, then re-roll your Morale test to re-group.
They also make the unit they join Fearless, as well as allowing for Honour Guard Fire Warriors - which gain +1 BS for +2pts.

In my redux, 'Honour Guard' (or Hardened Veterans as I call them) gain +1 BS and +1 I for +2pts, and up to one unit can take this for each Shas'o (Crisis Commander) in the army. Farsight armies may take as many Hardened Veteran squads as they want, as well as moving Stealth suits to Fast Attack. Shadowsun armies may also have 2x the standard Hardened Veterans as a standard army alongside CRISIS suits becoming Fast Attack.