PDA

View Full Version : Tyranids - Red Terror Question

Maelstorm
01-23-2014, 06:13 PM
In theory, a Red Terror (WS6, Init 5) can charge a Riptide/Wraithknight and remove it from play if it makes 4 out of 5 hits? Is this correct?? Can a red Terror swallow a Riptide whole? :D

daboarder
01-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Provided they aren't very bulky or extremely bulky (and I think you'll find they are)

Maelstorm
01-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Ahhh... rats....

Thanks for the quick reply!

Tynskel
01-23-2014, 09:17 PM
Ahhh... rats....

Thanks for the quick reply!

:)
Monsterous Creatures have lots of USRs!

Martyn Powell
01-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Just to clarify this all up...

Red Terror can only swallow whole on infantry, jump infantry and jet pack infantry that are are NOT very bulky (3models for transports) or extremely bulky (5models for transports).

So a quick list on what it cannot swallow....

Monstrous Creatures (unit type)
Beasts (unit type)
Bikes/Jetbikes (unit type)
Artillery (unit type although can most likely get the crew)
Cavalry (unit type)
Flying monstrous creatures (unit type)

The other interesting thing is that this rule ignores eternal warrior... eternal warrior makes the model immune to the effects of instant death. The Swallow whole rule does not cause instant death but instead if successful removes the target model from play for which there are only invulnerable saves allowed in this case.

Maelstorm
01-24-2014, 10:21 AM
Not a bad list.... Thank you for putting it together!

Martyn Powell
01-24-2014, 10:32 AM
An example of an infantry unit it cannot swallow is:-

Space marine Centurions, both Devastator and Assault versions due to them being very bulky.

I can't currently find my Tau codex but I believe that Tau crisis suits also fall into this category.

I'm surprised that beasts cannot be swallowed whole... they are of similar size/can be smaller than infantry. Would be funny though having two red terror's trying to swallow eachother whole... which is the reason why they cannot swallow beasts...

Same time combat swallow whole... both models removed? :D

Tynskel
01-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Yo ant swallow Monsterous creatures. Don't they have 'extremely bulky' USR?

Monsterous creatures are a unit type that has a series of additional rules beyond 'infantry'.

daboarder
01-24-2014, 02:48 PM
what tynskel said, MC are still Infantry, Jump Infantry and the like

evilamericorp
01-24-2014, 03:09 PM
MC are still Infantry, Jump Infantry and the like

No they aren't. Those are three completely separate unit types.

John Bower
01-24-2014, 04:06 PM
No they aren't. Those are three completely separate unit types.

what he means is that they are whatever they're classed as, for example a Flyrant is a Flying Monstrous Creature when in flight mode, but if he goes to hover he becomes Monstrous Jump Infantry. MC's without wings are usually 'infantry', etc.

daboarder
01-24-2014, 04:28 PM
What I mean is that if a rule affects "Infantry" It affects regular MC's as well because they are "Infantry"

evilamericorp
01-24-2014, 06:25 PM
What I mean is that if a rule affects "Infantry" It affects regular MC's as well because they are "Infantry"

No they aren't. Monstrous Creature is a unit type. Infantry is a unit type. Things that affect only infantry will not affect Monstrous Creatures. They are completely separate things.

Vangrail
01-24-2014, 08:13 PM
Mc are not infantry, they cannot be effected by the swallow whole ability. The unite type has to say infantry. Then it can eat up to bulky units. Like terminators, nid warriors, mega armor nobz, that kind of stuff. People sized things......