PDA

View Full Version : Starting Warmachine

vipernyc
12-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi all, this is another "Help! I'm starting warmachine and have no idea what to do!" thread.

I've been interested in the game for a long time, and the combination of the excellent series of articles here, and a growing disgruntlement with GW made me finally take the plunge. I really like both Cryx and Cygnar, and since I'm going to be the one pretty much introducing it to everyone i know, I decided to build a small force for each in order to demo and play it with friends, etc.

I went looking mainly for models I liked, but finances are a consideration, so I looked for and got some great deals on ebay. This is what I have coming, and I need to hammer out a couple of good lists in the 15-25 point range. I'm not against proxying, but I would like to limit it as much as possible, because for me, the models are a huge part of the appeal.

Cryx:
Warwitch Deneghra
Pirate Queen Skarre
Epic Skarre
2x Deathrippers
2x Defilers
Deathjack
Slayer

Cygnar
Capt. Allister Caine
Ironclad
Charger
Grenadier
Eiryss

So, for now its pretty much just casters and jacks. I have some WH models that could make good proxies for things like undead thralls and human troops.... it will look off, but its only temporary.

I'm open to any suggestions, but I'm not going to be spending any more money just yet, except to buy prime mk 2 when it comes out. What I'm looking for is 2 or 3 reasonably balanced forces that I can run small games with. I know Caine isn't a great beginning caster, but the model just looks way too awesome to pass up.

My preliminary thoughts were this, for running 15 point games, or a team game with these 3, plus a khador list my friend is putting together:

CYGNAR
Captain Allister Caine -5
Ironclad 7
Squire (proxied) 2
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios 3
Journeyman Warcaster(proxied) 3
Charger 4
Stormsmith Stormcaller (proxied) 1

CRYX 1
Warwitch Deneghra -5
Deathripper 4
Deathripper 4
Defiler 5
Slayer 6
Machine Wraith(proxied) 1

CRYX 2
Skarre, Queen of the Black Coast -6
Deathjack 12
Defiler 5
Mechanithralls (proxied) 3
+Brute Thrall (proxied) 1

Thanks in advance!

Rouland
12-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Greetings,

Whereabouts will you be playing? I just moved here a few weeks ago, and I've been trying to find games. I have a pretty extensive Cygnar collection that I'd be willing to share, and Trolls to fight against, if y'all don't mind playing with a toddler in the immediate vicinity (I usually have my daughter with me when I play. Yes, I bring my own pygmy ace...) She's really easy going, and used to being around gamers.

I haven't played enough 15-point games to really comment on your Cygnar list (and I don't play Cryx), but the Ironclad is a pretty solid beatstick, and the Charger is supposed to be pretty good these days. I could make all kinds of suggestions for your next purchases, but you said you aren't ready for that, so no luck there. Your grenadier is going to sit on the shelf until you get Trenchers, but remember that Finn and the Trencher artillery (chain gun and cannon) count. Capt. Caine wants gunmages+UA, when you get around to it, and marshalling the Charger with the gunmage UA doesn't suck (especially if you can get Arlan Strangeways in the mix - but there I go, spending your money again...).

vipernyc
12-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi! I'll be playing in and around New York City... that's a pretty big commute from texas ;)

Thanks for the advice! I'm not buying anything yet, but I am proxying, so if you have any ideas as to what would work well with what i have i am all ears. I know trenchers go with the grenadiers, and I was planning on trying out gun mages or the black 13th ones with caine.

Rouland
12-19-2009, 05:12 PM
D'oh! I had just posted in the Austin roll call seciton; for some reason I thought this was a local forum.

Anyway, Trenchers are what got me into the game. I've gotten away from them somewhat, but they still show up in a good number of my Cygnar lists. They're definitely at least worth a proxy...

Bean
12-21-2009, 09:26 AM
I, too, love trenchers, but Mk.II has nerfed them pretty hard. The new rules for throwing smoke make them a lot worse.

Liazardman
01-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Yes... from what ive read that sucks... Trencher commandos being released in march tho... they look good and i cant wait to see what they get

Faultie
01-19-2010, 08:16 AM
I, too, love trenchers, but Mk.II has nerfed them pretty hard. The new rules for throwing smoke make them a lot worse.
They did make them cheaper, however, and their RNG10 guns are now standard (instead of sub-standard) range. POW11 is actually above average now, for ranged weapon, and the flat +4RNG for Snipe is great.

All-in-all, they're fantastic at mid-to-high level point games (50+) because they can do a whole lot of different things for 6-10 points, freeing up more points for other models, support solos, and Mercenaries that you might want to fit in.