PDA

View Full Version : Command HQ or Expensive Veterans in Chimera?

knighter
01-22-2014, 02:19 PM
Moved this here - isn't for army lists but better here

Hey guys, so just wondering, I'm not going to post my entire army list here since I know my friend will be on this forum too

But just a quick question, Im running a veteran squad that is pretty pricey, they are pumped out on points/upgrades. Also a command HQ that is fairly pimped out. And my question is...

Is it better to use my chimera to protect the veterans or to use to protect the HQ as a mobile command with my guardsman?

I know its very light on details, but I'm hoping to still get some feedback on the few factors I mentioned above

My friend is playing dark angels.

Turner
01-22-2014, 03:01 PM
*All things being equal the Chimera should go to the Company Command Squad while the Veterans foot slog it.

The Company Command Squad benefits from the "Mobile Command Vehicle" rule Chimeras have allowing you to slight orders from inside the protective shell the vehicle. They also benefit from the Hail Marry maneuver in which you drive your Chimera 6", dump the Company Command Squad out, move then an additional 6" and order themselves to "Kill It Dead" (Twinlink VS MC's or Vehicles OR Reroll Successful Cover saves VS Everything) If you're tricky enough you might be able to even Flat Out your Chimera an screen your very exposed Company Command Squad, since they are probably your Warlord.

*Not knowing the mission type, objective/kill point/multi-objective, the army list (Stick the vets in a flyer?) What your opponent has for any army list, what the battlefield looks like, ect ect.

Blood Shadow
01-24-2014, 03:33 AM
When you say
they are pumped out on points/upgrades. could you give an idea of how? Some of the upgrades for vets such as cloaks and 4+ Carapace are way too expensive. If you have these you may be better dropping them out to squeeze in a second chimera instead or another squad of guard. From what I've found a 4+ save guardsman lasts less time than 2x 5+ save guardsmen with half the offensive capability.

The only exception to the upgrades is the melta bomb + demo charge, this is actually quite good but is for a sacrificial squad that's going to get in close very quickly to take out walkers and heavily armed stuff.....and an allied Inq henchman unit can do this cheaper 10 guys with melta bombs and you can through in a few other goodies too.