PDA

View Full Version : Aegis defence line and fmc?

OlDirtyCosta
01-20-2014, 03:18 PM
If I have fmcs behind the lines gliding, do they get the cover save even though technically there is nothing actually "blocking" them? If they can, please state the page in the rulebook that says they get the cover save? And if they dont get the cover save couldnt I just remove the "flying stem" thingie? Sorry if this has been posted in the past and thanks in advance for your input.

AdamHarry
01-20-2014, 04:32 PM
If I have fmcs behind the lines gliding, do they get the cover save even though technically there is nothing actually "blocking" them? If they can, please state the page in the rulebook that says they get the cover save? And if they dont get the cover save couldnt I just remove the "flying stem" thingie? Sorry if this has been posted in the past and thanks in advance for your input.

Flyers (Monstrous Creatures or not) still follow the rules for True Line of sight. If they are 25% covered, they get a save.

As for removing the flight stand, that's a toughie. Some people would consider that "modeling for an advantage" and would be upset. Those same people would argue that you would have to use the stand the model came with or something of equal size/dimensions.
Some people wouldn't mind if you removed the flight stand when it's not actually flying (although you won't find any rule supporting that in the rulebook).

I'd recommend playing with more terrain - stuff that you could theoretically hide a flyer behind to get cover. If you are going to a Tourney I'd suggest getting a ruling from the TO before hand. If you're just playing for fun with some friends, ask around and see how they want to play it.

Sly
01-20-2014, 04:42 PM
There are no rules that prevent FMCs or Flyers from getting cover saves in exactly the same manner as normal MCs or Vehicles.
You are supposed to base MCs and Vehicles on the base provided, so if they are provided with a flying base, you are supposed to mount them on it, which usually puts them up high enough that it's hard for them to get a cover save from low terrain such as an Aegis line.

However, many MCs that may or may not be winged such as Daemon Princes and Hive Tyrants come mounted at ground level on their base, whether they are winged or not. So it's perfectly fine to have a DP or Hive Tyrant with wings, getting cover behind an Aegis line (if it's tall enough to provide 25% cover). And since they do not change their size or position whether they declare that they are gliding or swooping, their cover save would also not be affected by whether they are gliding or not.

There is also nothing that changes their situation when they are in Area Terrain, so they should be able to get area cover whether gliding or swooping as long as they are in the area terrain. And since being "in area terrain" is determined by the base, as far as I can tell, even a FMC on a flying base would be able to get cover from ground-based area terrain.

Nabterayl
01-20-2014, 04:45 PM
there are no rules that prevent fmcs or flyers from getting cover saves in exactly the same manner as normal mcs or vehicles.
You are supposed to base mcs and vehicles on the base provided, so if they are provided with a flying base, you are supposed to mount them on it, which usually puts them up high enough that it's hard for them to get a cover save from low terrain such as an aegis line.

However, many mcs that may or may not be winged such as daemon princes and hive tyrants come mounted at ground level on their base, whether they are winged or not. So it's perfectly fine to have a dp or hive tyrant with wings, getting cover behind an aegis line (if it's tall enough to provide 25% cover). And since they do not change their size or position whether they declare that they are gliding or swooping, their cover save would also not be affected by whether they are gliding or not.

There is also nothing that changes their situation when they are in area terrain, so they should be able to get area cover whether gliding or swooping as long as they are in the area terrain. And since being "in area terrain" is determined by the base, as far as i can tell, even a fmc on a flying base would be able to get cover from ground-based area terrain.
qft.

daboarder
01-20-2014, 05:49 PM
also note, wings are ignored for determining coverage and LOS

OlDirtyCosta
01-20-2014, 07:10 PM
Very informative. Thank you very much for taking time to type and explain all that.