PDA

View Full Version : Returning to the game after a year off, Giving the Nids a go. (1850)

Sonikgav
01-20-2014, 12:15 AM
Just something ive cobbled together from a few interesting ideas ive heard.

Option 1.

Tyrant - Wings, TL Devourer x2 - 230

Genestealers x5 - Broodlord - 130
Termagants x30 - 120
Tervigon - Cluster Spines - 200

Hive Crone - 155

Venomthrope - 45
Venomthrope - 45
Zoanthrope x2 - 100

Biovores x3 - 120
Exocrine - 170
Exocrine - 170

Total - 1845

A bit light on the Troops but theres a plan here.

Flyrants both proceed up a flank each while the Crone stays somewhat Centralized or if my opponent has flyers of his own to come in, voluntarily dives off the board turn 1 to hunt them with the Haywire Missiles next turn. Exocrines march up the field with the Gaunt horde between them and a Venomthrope hidden behind each of them for that Cover save and the Zoeys are in the blob to provide Synapse and additional firepower.
Tervigon sits at the back poopin out more Scoring units while the Biovores sit somewhere close and shell the opponent.

The Genestealers infiltrate close enough to hopefully Pin a few units to slow down the return fire. Against mostly un-pinnable/Fearless armies they just become objective Grabbers/Counter Assaulters but i like the combination of the Broodlords power along with Shadow in the Warp against Psyker heavy armies (ie Eldar).

Option 2 is something a little more 'devious' and fiddles with Enemy leadership while hitting their lines from reserve.

Deathleaper - 130

Termagants x30 - 120
Termagants x10 - 40
Tervigon - 195

Hive Crone - 155
Spore Mines - 15
Spore Mines - 15

Venomthrope x2 - 90
Zoanthrope x2 - 100
Zoanthrope x2 - 100

Biovores x3 - 120
Mawloc - 140
Mawloc - 140

Total - 1850

So yeah I am considering dropping the Exocrines for Mawlocs to shift out those awkward objective campers which frees up 60 points, the 5 already left over and 5 stolen from the Tervigon by taking away his upgrade and i get a little 10 model reserve Troop unit, and 2 S6 AP4 Large Blasts that ignore cover. The DeathLeaper replaces a Flyrant which may seem much more vulnerable but he only allows Snapshots against him (so no template death), lets me screw with Leadership a little more and more importantly if i get him in close, helps my Mawlocs become more accurate and hunt non combat units (like Devastators etc). To replace the lack in Synapse i get another unit of Zoanthropes with the spare 100 points but they and the Venomthropes become a little tougher to protect and i feel this list has much less answers to Terminators without the Exocrines etc.

So yeah as the title says ive been out of the game for a while, (since just before the Tau release) so this is me getting back with an old favourite army with some new flavors. Any thoughts?

-Also one question. I scribbled this down using a friends Codex and dont have one of my own just yet to check. Is the Broodlord worded in addition to 5 Genestealers or is he an Upgrade? (Ie is the unit 5 models or 6?)

Sonikgav
01-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Not a single thought? Hmm..

I think im kinda leaning towards the second list but a mobile, heavy infantry list (Termies) would give it trouble i think.

Sonikgav
01-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Man I need to get all my thoughts together before posting lists lol.

I'm pretty settled now on list 2 however, I wanna drop one of the Zoey units, along with the smaller Gaunt pack and one of the Mine units for 155 points meaning a second Crone.

I'll split the existing Zoeys up to spread the Synapse web, i'll just have to be a little more protective of them.

AdamHarry
01-21-2014, 10:08 AM
The Mawloc template is str 6 ap2, so they eat terminators too. A Land raider might give you some trouble unless you can get your zoans in range or you can get an assault off with your MC's. I think the 2nd list is more dangerous than the first.

Sonikgav
01-21-2014, 10:25 AM
The Mawloc template is str 6 ap2, so they eat terminators too. A Land raider might give you some trouble unless you can get your zoans in range or you can get an assault off with your MC's. I think the 2nd list is more dangerous than the first.

The tank problem is why im changing to 2 Crones. S8 Vector Strike and the Haywire Missiles are a decent option against most Armor.

Ok so final-ish version.

Deathleaper - 130

Termagants x30 - 120
Tervigon - 195

Hive Crone - 155
Hive Crone - 155
Spore Mines - 15

Venomthrope x2 - 90
Zoanthrope - 50
Zoanthrope - 50

Biovores x3 - 120
Mawloc - 140
Mawloc - 140

Total - 1850

So, hows that looking? Im not too convinced about the strength of the Synapse web but thats what testing is for after all.

Sonikgav
01-21-2014, 07:38 PM
Am i being optimistic or do you think this list could actually handle Taudar?

Im just looking and the 4+ T3 Troops, Relatively static Mawloc Targets, Leadership reliant, Charachters that Deathleaper can actually kill....

The Crones/Flyrant will probably get dropped immediately but providing i can Pin a couple of units a turn, to limit the effectiveness of Markerlights and the Crones can get hold of the Wave Serpents etc.... It wasnt an intentional plan going into the list but i think its got a fair chance providing it doesnt get blown off the board Turn 1.

Fugu
01-22-2014, 04:13 AM
Man! I like the second list A LOT!!

Only thought, I like the first version more.. 1 zoa for each elite slot would probably be an easy first blood to score, and I would probably save 30 points on spore mines to buy more gants to the 10-man unit.. apart from that, I am looking forward to read the BR!! :D

Sonikgav
01-22-2014, 04:54 AM
Man! I like the second list A LOT!!

Only thought, I like the first version more.. 1 zoa for each elite slot would probably be an easy first blood to score, and I would probably save 30 points on spore mines to buy more gants to the 10-man unit.. apart from that, I am looking forward to read the BR!! :D

That's a good point about First Blood. I may revert then to option 2 mk1. I kinda like the idea of the spore mines though.

Fugu
01-22-2014, 05:38 AM
when using biovore 3x, two spore mines are not gonna make a big difference.. besided, you could also think about giving one of your FMC regeneration (the general, perhaps) for 30 points, instead of buffing the gants which, if used for the defensive objective, are more than enough

Sonikgav
01-22-2014, 10:19 AM
when using biovore 3x, two spore mines are not gonna make a big difference.. besided, you could also think about giving one of your FMC regeneration (the general, perhaps) for 30 points, instead of buffing the gants which, if used for the defensive objective, are more than enough

Regen, probably on the Flyrant, sounds like a good idea. Still can't share the question of running 1 Mawloc and 1 Exocrine instead of just 2 of one or the other. That Plasmic Cannon is a killer.

Dave Caruana
01-22-2014, 12:30 PM
The mawloc might scatter and kill nothing then get shot to pieces, it might leave 1 guy alive and get mishapped, while the exocrine can have a blast shot or assault 6 at bs4 if u dont move and wounds wraithknights on 5+ not 6 and are still a maximum of 24" away so might not get shot up as easily, and if u have a swarmlord, can give it preferred enemy and...well..u know the rest... ;)

Sonikgav
01-22-2014, 12:54 PM
I do like the idea of that Big Gunbeast in the middle, and it gives the Venomthropes something to hide behind though obviously, i dont have a Swarmlord.

Im not too worried the the Mawloc mishaps, infact if i get 'back into reserve' its actually the preferable result.

Im thinking the final list will drop the Spore Mines and a Mawloc to add an Exocrine.

FINAL version.... for now ;)

Deathleaper - 130

Termagants x30 - 120
Termagants x10 - 40
Tervigon - 195

Hive Crone - 155

Venomthrope x2 - 90
Zoanthrope x2 - 100
Zoanthrope x2 - 100

Biovores x3 - 120
Exocrine - 170
Mawloc - 140

Total - 1850

That actually looks pretty solid i think.

Dave Caruana
01-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Quite a nice list and I like that u only use 1 flyrant, risky, but original. IMHO and it is just what I think personally, u dont have enough AA, I dont know if ur meta has lots of flyers or not, but if they do use lots of flyers, ud need more. The tervigon is a big big risk, notice in the armybook that if u have the terv to take objectives in ur deployment zone, that if they kill it and ur opponeng will focus fire on it, all units within 12" now not 6" take 3d6 s3 hitsnow, ur gants cant move or run or assault once spawned and u can always spend 195pts tospawn once and get a double on the first spawn...its a big risk, whadda u think of hormagaunts? 2 units of 15 each with t.sacs gives u a unit that has fleet, move through cover, fearless if within synapse and poiso ed to down anything from guardsmen to wraithknights on a 4+ with 3 attacks on the charge all for 8pts each!!!

Dave Caruana
01-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Also hormagaunts almost always move 12" as u have 6" movement, average of 3" to run +3" from bounding leap which is also pretty fast for 8pts. Consider an aegis defence line for 50pts put it arnd 1 objective and put a 10 man unitnof gaunts, put the venomthropes in there and u have a 2+ save termagants!!

Sonikgav
01-22-2014, 02:23 PM
The Aegis defence line is the biggest pain in the *** GW have ever introduced into this game. 50 points for a Bunkered unit in any army and the only thing less appropriate in a Tyranid list would be to stick a Quad Cannon in there! The only good thing the Aegis line has ever done, is make people notice how good and usefull the Biovores Barrage weapons are.

I know, im light on Anti-Air which is why i plan on playing smart with the Crone and i had considered adding a second. If the Exocrine doesnt work out then maybe ill do just that.

As for the Tervigon i still like them. Im well aware that everyone is now screaming foul that theyre now 'cripplingly weak' but i dont agree. The large mob in my list wont be hanging around close enough to the Tervigon, he will be sitting right at the back pumping out Scoring units that, as soon as they can, will be heading up to take other objectives nowhere near the Tervigon.

The Tervigon WILL be providing Synapse for the Biovores and you know what, if my opponent wants to focus all of his long range firepower capable of dropping it on that, right at the back, and ignore the Flyrant, Exocrine, Crone and other things charging up the field then more power to them! ;)

Lastly for the Hormagaunts. I was a fan of them a long time ago but personally, right now, i dont think the Assault is the strongest point for the Tyranids (I know right?) and although they can get up the field fast i prefer the more organised swarm with the Shootybugs.

Dave Caruana
01-22-2014, 02:59 PM
If u plan on playing like that with the tervigon and keeping all gaunts away from it by 12" than good lukc to ya and I thurally agree, if u plan on playin with everything going up all together than yes, hormies arent for you. Tervi with hiovores is a great idea, very original way of playing :)

P.S I know ur probably gna tell me u only gave the tyrant wings for skyfire, but just to remind u, since ur going to go up all together that might slow ur flyrant down, now since u have 2 broods of genestealers, a flyrant and a crone, wudnt the hormies manage to go up and meet the genestealers by turn 2?

Sonikgav
01-22-2014, 03:10 PM
The 'advance together' group are the Exocrine, the Gants, Zoanthropes and Venomthropes. The Tryant has wings because i think a walking Tyrant is too slow to be usefull.

His speed will be used to get Synapse upto the forward units.