PDA

View Full Version : What do you think we'll be the next 40k release?

Proiteus
01-19-2014, 01:32 PM
With GW standing by their 'no previews, no notice, no hype' sales model it's hard to know what the next release might be until a week beforehand in White Dwarf (most likely another reason for the huge drop in their latest financial results), anyway this complicated matters when attending GW events as you are now required to use a new codex unless it is released on the day of the event.

I'll be attending TOS in March with some allied Orks and Guard and it's troubling that I maybe required to make some huge changes to the army with just 1 or 2 weeks before the tournament, and with the internet rumor threads for both armies having nothing but a few bits of info I'd thought I'd ask to see what other players believed will be the next release.

So what do you think will be the next release for 40k?

Also I did consider putting 'Squats' in the poll just for lolz. :D

pgarfunkle
01-19-2014, 02:00 PM
While I would love for it to be the Blood Angels up next to motivate me to get back into 40K all the rumours I've heard point to the Guard

Learn2Eel
01-19-2014, 08:29 PM
It's either Imperial Guard or Orks according to Hastings - he never really specified which was first. With all the rumours circling around Imperial Guard and them being the codex that followed 5th Edition Tyranids, it is logical to assume they are next.
It will be...interesting to say the least.

Katharon
01-19-2014, 10:42 PM
Next up is WHFB Dwarves and after that will come the Imperial Guard. I then assume that another WHFB army that needs an update will get it (maybe Brettonia if the rumors are not true that they are being phased out), then Orks. So, March for the Imperial Guard (here they come marching -- a nice little advert thing that I am sure an intern will think of) and May for the Orks.

Psychosplodge
01-20-2014, 05:11 AM
Squats, no one will see them coming...

Cap'nSmurfs
01-20-2014, 05:29 AM
Tanks. Lots of tanks.

eldargal
01-20-2014, 05:37 AM

Not unless they bend down anyway.

Proiteus
01-20-2014, 05:39 AM

I think you might be right after all... Guard + Dwarfs = Squats
http://th06.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2010/306/b/f/colored_squat_by_nachomon-d320epc.jpg

Psychosplodge
01-20-2014, 05:42 AM
Not unless they bend down anyway.

*snort*

I think you might be right after all... Guard + Dwarfs = Squats

The clues are all there!
Imagine the hype if they did a limited run...

Wolfshade
01-20-2014, 06:37 AM
http://fanboygaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

Veteran Sergeant
01-20-2014, 11:40 AM
Even if Squats were just an option as an Imperial Guard squad, that would be awesome.

Not gonna happen though. Thus shall the Squats remain the domain of us old and dedicated collectors.

If I were to guess, I'd say Guard, then Orks. Really should be the other way given the age of the Ork Codex, but I imagine the sales potential of Guard is higher, so it will be pushed.

Imagine the hype if they did a limited run...
I don't think we'll see too many limited runs anymore. The investment in new molds for sprues is too high for a limited edition product. Making a small number of molds for metal figures in the old days or resin casts is one thing. But a multi-part kit will likely have to be something with a high and consistent return on investment.

Hence why in the old days of 2nd Edition's monopose metals we could have 7 different ranges of Imperial Guard, but that will never happen again in the era of plastic multi-parts kits.

Bigred
01-20-2014, 12:07 PM
Also note that we may soon see the end of the 40k-WFB-40K-WFB cycle.

There is talk of a 2:1 ratio of 40K:WFB releases kicking in at some point this year.

Wildeybeast
01-20-2014, 12:24 PM
That would make sense. If 9th doesn't drop this summer then there 4 armies left to update over an 18 month period. Plus it would keep the bean counters happy without actually doing anything too radical to Warhammer.

deinol
01-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Any reason Grey Knights and Adepta Sororitas were left out of the poll? (I know, they are unlikely to be next, it just seems silly not to list all 8 that need codexes.)

This Dave
01-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Squats aren't totally out of the realm of possibility. Not only has GW not totally disavowed them anymore like they have in the past few years they actually show up by name in the history section of the rulebook. Some of my Guardsmen have a certain abhuman look to them now...

Kirsten
01-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Hoping for guard. not because the codex needs changing, but just because it means new releases and therefore hopefully the plastic sets that people have clamoured for for years, Colossus and Storm Troopers.

Katharon
01-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Any reason Grey Knights and Adepta Sororitas were left out of the poll? (I know, they are unlikely to be next, it just seems silly not to list all 8 that need codexes.)

Grey Knights are coming maybe next winter. They were the second to last 5th edition codex to be made, so they don't need a codex anytime soon.

Sisters got an eCodex update like three months ago...

Veteran Sergeant
01-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Sisters just got a codex.

Unless you're suggesting they might get a full hardcopy codex release. But I feel like this is the General Discussion forum, not the Humor Forum. ;)

deinol
01-20-2014, 09:12 PM

Unless you're suggesting they might get a full hardcopy codex release. But I feel like this is the General Discussion forum, not the Humor Forum. ;)

I don't think it's unreasonable to think they might get a hardcopy in a little over a year once all the other armies have 6e books. Especially if they ever make the mythical plastic sisters box.

Katharon
01-21-2014, 12:06 AM
I don't think it's unreasonable to think they might get a hardcopy in a little over a year once all the other armies have 6e books. Especially if they ever make the mythical plastic sisters box.

There is absolutely no reason (or profit motive) for them to take the trouble of making a hard copy of the eCodex that they already have out. Wishful thinking is wishful thinking.

Proiteus
01-21-2014, 08:41 AM
Since my stupid question has a clear answer how about we turn this thread over to a new discussion...

"What are you expecting from the new Guard codex?"

SON OF ROMULOUS
01-21-2014, 02:32 PM
What i am expecting is a points reduction in pretty much every unit. I am betting on a new flyer. I would say finally the release of he artillary kits but i think its safe to say they missed the boat on that one by a full edition. It's safe to say most people have bough conversion kits or that they have converted something from scratch or though a 3rd party retailler. (Sorry GW but until you learn not to release units that you don't have kits for i feel zero pitty for you)
I would assume we will get some new heavy tank but i am not sure. I was one of the crazy ones that was hoping they would for once give me units that i wanted and oh i dunno introduce some new units ie knight and paladin class titans or oh i dunno maybe one of the hundreds of mechanicum units described throughout the history of 40k.... but alas i think i hope for to much from these idiots. maybe i will get luky and scribor or oh wait dream forge already released a titan class kit and a smaller kit that works as a knight titan oh well so sad to bad sorry gw your late as usual.

deinol
01-21-2014, 06:09 PM
oh wait dream forge already released a titan class kit and a smaller kit that works as a knight titan oh well so sad to bad sorry gw your late as usual.

I think you underestimate the number of people who would buy an official knight titan, particularly one that actually had official rules. The percentage of players willing to buy 3rd party kits is fairly small compared to the overall 40k player base.

evilamericorp
01-21-2014, 08:04 PM
"What are you expecting from the new Guard codex?"

Expecting? After the nid codex, masssive nerfs to everything and token point decreases.

Hoping for? I really want Leman Russes to be better. They have always been one of my favorite tanks, and 6th edition really kicked them in the balls. I would like them to join the 4 hull point club, a return to their lumbering behemoth days when they could shoot sponsons/hull weapons in addition to ordnance (or take this stupid restriction out of the BRB entirely, it doesn't make sense fluff-wise or design-wise), and to have the option to be purchased in squadrons and still operate individually on the table.

In my dreams? Some sort of Main weapon/Secondary weapon classification on tank weapons that allow them to be fired at separate targets. It just seems stupid to be able to have anti-tank and anti-infantry weapons on the same vehicle if they can't split fire. I'd love to be able to mow down infantry with heavy bolters and still shoot my main cannon at larger threats...

Katharon
01-21-2014, 11:23 PM
What I am expecting/hoping for in the new IG codex:

1) Stormtroopers increased in price by 5 points and given up to six special weapon choices.

2) Ogryns to be reduced in price down to 30 points and able to be taken in squads of 3 to 10. Given the Rage, Furious Charge, and Stubborn USRs.

3) The return of combat doctrines as we had in 4th. Also, certain characters will only be allowed in certain armies. No more Iron Hand Straken leading a horde of Cadians.

4) Leman Russ to be given a replacement for the now missing Lumbering Behemoth special rule. As it stands now they cannot fire Ordnance weapons & secondaries properly together and Leman Russ tanks are not allowed (by rules) to ever move flat out -- meaning that they are always reduced to moving only 6" each turn max. If they make these changes, then their price will either stay the same or go up a little.

5) Troop section should remain fairly the same, except that it would be more proper to make Conscript Squads a separate Troop choice instead of being a part of Platoons. The reason being that if Penal Legionnaires and Chaos Cultists can go in separate slots, why not conscripts?

6) Vendetta will jump up in points to at least 150. It might also possibly lose its transport capacity ability.

7) If we get a new tank, it will most likely have a lot of attributes that are usually only available to the Imperial Armour books (specifically the Armored Battle Group). So 4-5HP, anti-grenade meshes, track guards, etc.

Deadlift
01-22-2014, 02:05 AM
Also note that we may soon see the end of the 40k-WFB-40K-WFB cycle.

There is talk of a 2:1 ratio of 40K:WFB releases kicking in at some point this year.

Wasn't that the case last year anyway ?

Power Klawz
01-22-2014, 08:28 AM
I'd like IG flyers to skyrocket in cost. It would basically mean a buff to all 6th edition flyers.

Other than that plastic stormtroopers, some buffs to Russ's and if we're wishlisting here an entirely new set of plastics for an old regiment like the Tallarn Desert Raiders or Valhallan Ice Warriors or something. Maybe dual kits with different hats, I don't know. The old Cadian plastics are getting pretty long in the tooth and boring.

Al Shut
01-22-2014, 10:52 AM
I would say finally the release of he artillary kits but i think its safe to say they missed the boat on that one by a full edition. It's safe to say most people have bough conversion kits or that they have converted something from scratch or though a 3rd party retailler. (Sorry GW but until you learn not to release units that you don't have kits for i feel zero pitty for you)

Does the current codex have any candidates for getting the axe like the Tyranid spore pod?

deinol
01-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Does the current codex have any candidates for getting the axe like the Tyranid spore pod?

You mean all the artillery vehicles besides the Basilisk?

Al Shut
01-22-2014, 11:39 AM
You mean all the artillery vehicles besides the Basilisk?

Let's assume Forge world models are safe for now

deinol
01-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Let's assume Forge world models are safe for now

I'm not certain that's a safe assumption. I hear that Rough Riders might be dropped from the main codex. But with that rumor was the plan that dropped units would be supported in Forgeworld supplements.

Charistoph
01-22-2014, 03:57 PM
I'm not certain that's a safe assumption. I hear that Rough Riders might be dropped from the main codex. But with that rumor was the plan that dropped units would be supported in Forgeworld supplements.

If there isn't a FW or Citadel model for it now or at launch, don't expect it to remain in the codex. Heck, I wouldn't expect any FW only models to be in the codex, either. That's how GW has been rolling after Chapterhouse.

DarkLink
01-22-2014, 04:17 PM

Grey Knights are rumored to be end of this year, after Orks, IG, and... I think Space Wolves?

:(

Lord-Boofhead
01-23-2014, 01:18 PM
If there isn't a FW or Citadel model for it now or at launch, don't expect it to remain in the codex. Heck, I wouldn't expect any FW only models to be in the codex, either. That's how GW has been rolling after Chapterhouse.

Yeah but Rough Riders exist in metal/finecast as do Ogryns and Ratlings so we may just see them replaced with plastic

Two Special Characters and a spore pod that made Nids not work the way they should gets dropped and you make assumptions left right and centre.

Lord-Boofhead
01-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Grey Knights are rumored to be end of this year, after Orks, IG, and... I think Space Wolves?

We may see them sooner than Wolves. after Dark Eldar or Necrons. I bet they want to do it asap so they can remove all the Inquisition stuff.

Lord-Boofhead
01-23-2014, 01:26 PM

Yep Vendettas.

My money is they will disappear into the land of Forgeworld only.

The Current Codex format is 2 fliers per Dex each with a different focus. So 2 transports and the new Rumoured fighter doesn't cut it.

Lord-Boofhead
01-23-2014, 01:27 PM
There is absolutely no reason (or profit motive) for them to take the trouble of making a hard copy of the eCodex that they already have out. Wishful thinking is wishful thinking.

Yeah because the Hardcopy Sisters Codex won't be a new book with new units and Flyers and stuff. Nope, not at all...

Charistoph
01-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Yeah but Rough Riders exist in metal/finecast as do Ogryns and Ratlings so we may just see them replaced with plastic

So, they are fine, then. I couldn't remember if the RR actually had models or not. That's partly why I kept it a general statement.

Two Special Characters and a spore pod that made Nids not work the way they should gets dropped and you make assumptions left right and centre.

Um, no. That's not the reason. The "assumptions" I had were made after the first Chapterhouse ruling, which was long before now, and has not been disproven yet. Those SCs and Pod were more sustaining the theory than causing it.

Yep Vendettas.

Nope. There is a model for it, so it will not be dropped as a build. Changed? Yes. Dropped as a name and made a Valkyrie upgrade? Possible. Price redone? Most likely. But it will not be dropped.

GW isn't in this for the game, they are in it for the models. Many units in pre-6th codices were planned to be modelled and introduced, but never were, so others snapped up the slack. And that's where Chapterhouse and others came in. One good litigation/C&D later, and new units and characters become impossibley rare if they cannot be modeled by existing kits.

Katharon
01-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Yeah because the Hardcopy Sisters Codex won't be a new book with new units and Flyers and stuff. Nope, not at all...

Exactly. Also, even if they ever did give them a new unit or flier, then they'd put out an update for the eCodex -- something that they do for all eCodicies: anytime there is an update or FAQ that changes something, the eCodex that someone legitamately bought gets updated by GW.

Veteran Sergeant
01-24-2014, 12:48 PM
The problem is that a hardcopy book represents three things:

Printing costs.
Delivery costs.
Carrying costs (keeping inventory until it is sold).

The Sisters of Battle haven't gotten a new model from Games Workshop in a decade. Why would they be spending that kind of money? An e-book codex is perfect. It has low-to-zero cost associated with it. From what I understand, most of the art and fluff was written for the 5th Edition White Dwarf codex but not published due to space limitations. They sell the digital codex on the site on a per-demand basis, and can sell unlimited copies of them. The digital codex was a customer service to existing players to make sure their models were usable in the current edition, and an easy way to make a decent profit in addition.

The only reason they need a hard copy codex is so that it can be sold in stores next to the models it is presenting rules for. There are no Sisters models sold in stores. So unless at some point they decide to invest more money in the Sisters product line, there's next to zero chance of a hardcover Sisters of Battle (Or Adepty Sorority) book. A discussion of the likelihood of that happening is probably best saved for a different thread.

MajorWesJanson
01-24-2014, 11:00 PM
Yep Vendettas.

My money is they will disappear into the land of Forgeworld only.

The Current Codex format is 2 fliers per Dex each with a different focus. So 2 transports and the new Rumoured fighter doesn't cut it.

Orks have 3 fliers (out of one box)
Chaos Daemons have Bloodthirsters, Lords of Change, and Daemon Princes, plus the named ones.
Nids have Flyrants, Harpie, and Crones.

Vendetta will just become like a 45 point upgrade for the valk, leaving plenty of room for a proper fighter.

John Bower
01-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Imperial Knights seem to be on the list for March... Dunno what they are but evidence seems to point to mini titan things. MechWarrior returns anyone?

Proiteus
01-25-2014, 05:02 PM
I guess I should voice my biggest worry for the new codex, and that's the Veteran Squad be drastically changed or worst removed!?!

The reason being my guard army is built around a sort of merc/pirate like theme with the veteran squads being Warbands with each squad being modelled with a mildly different appearance to the other squads. Having them no longer being a troops choice would really screw me over!

Veteran Sergeant
01-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Imperial Knights seem to be on the list for March... Dunno what they are but evidence seems to point to mini titan things. MechWarrior returns anyone?
This should help you out (https://www.google.com/search?q=imperial+knights+epic+40000&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=AXjkUpD6CYSJogSgiID4Bw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1541&bih=764)

Da Gargoyle
01-28-2014, 10:34 PM
I'm not looking for too much new stuff in the guard, more a return to some of the original options. Like having radio contact through those Vox Casters that cost you 5 points for a re-roll on moral, when they originally allowed you to order troops to follow commands without having to be next to the command group.

Or a commissar option for the penal battalion, I mean where else is one likely to be needed. Same for conscripts, the best way to get them to fight is to make them more scared not to. And how about characteristic options for Commissars? Inspirational, terrifying, disciplinarian or bloody stupid, like ".. and I'm telling you soldier, you are not dead yet!! Now fire that weapon or you will really be in trouble". Let's roll that dice and see what comes up.

Possibly a plasma gun heavy weapons team. May be give the psychic choir something to support deep strike. They don't seem that attractive to people at the moment. That would be funny, the psychic choir pin points the deep strike spot, only to fail the psychic test and drop the storm troopers into the arms of a Mawlock. And then the Commissar shoots the choir, purely for their own good of course.