PDA

View Full Version : Removable a Wings - how do I stop greenstuff storm stick while it cures?

Rich18144
01-14-2014, 01:02 AM
Hi guys,

I'm about to begin work on a conversion of a plastic carnosaur into a dragon using balrog wings. For storage, I'm hoping to be able to remove the wings, so was planning on using the provided plastic pins to hold them in place.

However, I come to the conundrum of using green stuff to sculpt in the gap. How can I get it so the green stuff sits flush to the body, but also doesn't stick to the body while it dries/I sculpt? I wondered if something lake cling film might work, but I'm honestly unsure.

Any recommendations?

Thank you for your time,

Rich

DWest
01-14-2014, 01:49 AM
Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline). A thin but even coating on the part will keep the GS from adhering completely, but will generally let the stuff push up against the part well enough to mold a shape. In the same way, if you're having problems with the GS sticking to your fingers/tools while sculpting, a very light coating of jelly will keep the stuff where it belongs.

Rich18144
01-14-2014, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the information and specifics DWest - much better than the reply I had on another forum, the sum total of which was "Vaseline"

Morgrim
01-15-2014, 07:01 AM
While I second vaseline or similar for the area where you don't want the greenstuff to stick to the model, I've found it's not such a good product to use on your tools and fingers; it's a pest to clean off the greenstuff later especially if it isn't fully cured and makes it hard to add more bits on later. I've found any water based lubricant works better on tools. They're often a bit viscous so I tend to dilute them with more water because you only need a little and it can be quickly wiped off if it gets in the wrong places.

LadyKatz
01-27-2014, 09:20 AM
I agree, don't use vaseline on your tools, its a good way to mix it into the greenstuff and make the greenstuff not even stick to itself. I don't sculpt a lot yet but it was suggested to me to use a plain chapstick on the tools.