PDA

View Full Version : Interesting little tidbit, could be helpful to nids?

Kelshin
01-13-2014, 08:22 PM
Like many of you, I have been pouring over the new dex looking for something decent, the good combos, ect. I don't even play them, but some good friends do, and we're just bouncing ideas off of each other cause...ah..TDY is boring.

So, the question of hiding a Prime behind Carnifexes came up. Apparently, with RAW in the BRB, IC's can't join solo MCs. Keyword being Solo, which a Carnifex brood is not. The wording of it is pretty specific, and there is nothing in the FAQ about it. I've never heard of anyone doing this before, and I donno if it's known or not?

Opinions from the people who play them. Is it something viable, giving a *relatively* cheap synapse creature 12 abalative wounds that you're probably going to use anyway?

Tynskel
01-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Prime can join Carnifexes, because of the potential to have more than one in a brood. Same with Venomthropes, Zoans, Pyrovores, biovores, etc.

Limey El'Jonson
01-13-2014, 09:17 PM
There are no independent characters in the new Nid book

Tynskel
01-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Tyranid Primes are ICs.

Akaiyou
01-13-2014, 09:36 PM
Seriously??

This has been common knowledge tyranid prime tactics since the last book was released....like really everyone and their grandmother did the fexstar unit

Kelshin
01-13-2014, 09:50 PM
Seriously??

This has been common knowledge tyranid prime tactics since the last book was released....like really everyone and their grandmother did the fexstar unit

Well thats funny, since I've played about 175+ games in the last 4 years since that book was released in 5 different parts of the country and never seen it. Couldn't have been that common. Probably because no one used Carnifexes after the first month. But then, I guess I didnt really care what tyranid builds were during all this time either.

Since we all seem to be so adept at reading, lets go ahead and assume that I knew everyone else already knew this and perhaps get one good answer to the actual ASKED question out of the chaff.
Is it viable now. Currently. In our world of terrible IB and realistically fragile synapse and marginally affordable fexes. I'm not particularly concerned with what happened with the 5th ed book.

I'm going to chalk that up as a positive answer.

Sonikgav
01-20-2014, 01:48 AM
Yeah the Prime with a Carnifex Bodyguard has been known for a while and was doable in the last book, the reason you havent seen it is because the Carnifex was so pointless in the last book otherwise, probably a chance.

Now its a fine balance because alot are saying this time round, its the Prime that is way overcosted.

Anggul
01-20-2014, 09:22 AM
Yeah, really no point when another Carnifex is about the same points.

Tynskel
01-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Yeah, you know, except for the fact you need synapse.

AdamHarry
01-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Well thats funny, since I've played about 175+ games in the last 4 years since that book was released in 5 different parts of the country and never seen it. Couldn't have been that common. Probably because no one used Carnifexes after the first month. But then, I guess I didnt really care what tyranid builds were during all this time either.

Since we all seem to be so adept at reading, lets go ahead and assume that I knew everyone else already knew this and perhaps get one good answer to the actual ASKED question out of the chaff.
Is it viable now. Currently. In our world of terrible IB and realistically fragile synapse and marginally affordable fexes. I'm not particularly concerned with what happened with the 5th ed book.

I'm going to chalk that up as a positive answer.

Hi! I've got documented video evidence that you could do that with the previous edition:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtPTEx0t66Q

We did this batrep back in August of 2012 I think.
Yes we're playing 6th but its the old codex. and yes, I goofed on the spore pod coming in. my bad.

I really liked my dakka fexes and prime unit. I'm still running a unit like that in the new book now.

As far as it's viability - sure... it's not a super amazing/gamebreaking combo or anything. But it's a good way to protect synapse as you truck along. There are better, more obvious choices - but I play what I like. The internet will probably tell you it's terrible but if it works for you, then it works for you. Play a few games with it and if it's not working, then change it up.