PDA

View Full Version : New Tyranids 1750

Chexmix282
01-13-2014, 02:18 PM
After reading through the new Tyranid codex, I have a few ideas for a list. This is my "first draft" but I think it will serve me well. All of my models (besides the Crone) are from 2nd edition, which means incorporating new units will be difficult as they look out of place. This isn't a tournament list (I'll take my SM/IG for that) but feedback is appreciated. I don't like getting tabled ;)

HQ
Hive Tyrant 205
-Heavy Venom Cannon, Bonesword & Lashwhip
Provides some durable Synapse, firepower, and a CC threat.

Deathleaper 130
Will deep strike or infiltrate depending on the mission and opponent. Will target backfield vehicles and heavy weapons, plus guide in the Spore Mines.

Elites
2 Hive Guard 110
2 Hive Guard 110
Even though they got nerfed to BS3, they are still some of the best can openers in the codex.

Troops
Tervigon 210
-Crushing Claws
I only gave it Crushing Claws because it's a converted Armorcast Malefactor. Those are not Scything Talons, lol. Provides synapse, poops troops, and can crush a Land Raider in CC.

30 Termagants 120
Tervigon tax. They will support the Tervigon and provide cover to the rest of the army.

3 Warriors 120
-Deathspitters, Rending Claws
3 Warriors 120
-Deathspitters, Rending Claws
The Warriors provide flank synapse and a little CC/shooting support. The Rending Claws were included to create redundant anti-armor CC capabilities. Should they get heavy weapons?

Fast Attack
Hive Crone 155
My only real source of anti-air... and it's not that reliable of a source. Hopefully it lives to shoot every missile and get a few S8 vector strikes. I doubt I will ever use the flamer, as it isn't a torrent weapon... for some reason.

5 Spore Mines 25
5 Spore Mines 25
These will deep strike and not scatter thanks to Deathleaper. They will target either backfield vehicles or heavy weapons with S8 large blasts. I'm not sure if they are worth 25 points but it seemed like a cool combo.

Heavy Support
Carnifex 140
-Adrenal Glands, Spine Banks
Carnifex 140
Carnifex 140
The heavy lifters of the army. They are the primary offensive force and have both Fleet and Frag Grenades thanks to the new codex. They will get FNP if the Tyrant or Tervigon rolls the appropriate psychic power.

Total: 1,750

Should I run the Carnifexes in a squad or individually? I have them separate now but it could be interesting to give them all FNP at once with a single Catalyst power. 4 Synapse units should be enough, so I am not too worried about that. Any suggestions?

MrBleak
01-13-2014, 02:37 PM
A nice different take starting of with no flyrant.
I personally love deathleaper, think he can be really strong if used well.
Though im not to sure the list will fair well in tournament environment, seems a bit slow with just one flyer, but if itīs for fun itīs fine.

Iīm personally not to sold on warriors i think that if you want more synapse zoanthropes are the way to go since they can roll for a power they can buff your fexes so you donīt rely just on the Tyrant plus they give you that added antitank.
I would also recommend drop the othe squad of warriors plus 1 of spores for another crone. 1 crone and no flyrants will most likely not give you the air advantage.
I like the carnies separated for a higher maneuverability.

Angelofblades
01-13-2014, 03:07 PM
I think you're going to need another crone. A single crone is grounding test bait. Also with 2 crones, where the 1st one does the initial damage, the 2nd one can make the kill. Should work well especially against other enemy fliers, but I would definitely suggest 2 minimum

Drop a spore set and swap one carnifex for a crone, should give you the points you seek.

I'm worried about your HT getting shot to bits. no Tyrant guard for HT?

Chexmix282
01-13-2014, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

@MrBleak: I like Flyrants, but as my Tyrants are the second edition models I feel I would be committing heresy by chopping them up and adding wings. I like the warriors as they are both scoring any provide extra synapse - I feel the Hive Guard have my primary anti-tank covered fairly well.

@Angelofblades: Crones cannot be grounded, thanks to the "Born in the Skies" special rule. I do see the benefit of adding a second one though. Two creates a mostly reliable anti-air system.

I will drop one unit of Warriors and a cluster of Spore Mines for a second Hive Crone. Once I dig up $80, lol.

Empty Vector
01-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Um Crones don't have that rule and can be grounded.

Chexmix282
01-13-2014, 04:58 PM
Um Crones don't have that rule and can be grounded.

Whoa, I missed that somehow. That's a huge difference.

Tynskel
01-13-2014, 05:13 PM
I don't even know where 'born in the skies' came from!

Chexmix282
01-13-2014, 06:20 PM
I read it in a leak a while back, and now that I think about it I never even checked the codex to see if it was included. How does a flyer without legs move on the ground? lol.

kublade
01-13-2014, 07:27 PM
Well, 5th ed fluff stated a Harpy was akin to a winged trygon, and we all know the trygon is legless, it just slithers around at high speeds. I haven't bothered reading 6th ed fluff yet, as with how disappointing the codex is to me, I don't wanna really invest time into it.

Tynskel
01-13-2014, 09:02 PM
The codex is fine. You just have to look at new combinations.
Take, for example, the 'Spore Chimney': Venomthrope embarked in a Bunker with Comm Tower. Place Biovores in the Ramparts. Everyone within 6" of the building has shrouded (even the bunker!), and the Biovores have 2+ cover saves. And bonuses to reserves!

Aegwymourn
01-14-2014, 07:14 AM
(even the bunker!)

Friendly models from Codex: Tyranids only.

Anggul
01-14-2014, 07:53 AM
The codex is good, there are just a few disappointments like Genestealers (not including Broodlord), Tyranid Primes, Pyrovores, Trygon's tunnel Warlord Traits and Artefacts. Granted the last two don't really bother me, but I felt I should mention them. Oh and while the Tervigon needed nerfing, they probably went a little overboard. Not horrifically, but still that little too far.

Other than those things, (and the bizarrely two-wounded 'Guard' who are huge) it's a really good codex. Relatively few things overall when you think about it. Genestealers and the tunnel are pretty major flaws, but otherwise a good, fun book.

Chexmix282
01-14-2014, 10:34 AM
I like the book myself. I think they broke the monotony of the last codex's only power build by giving us a few new things to play with... We have useable Carnifexes now! My Screamer-Killers are happy to hit the table again.

I have a question for my fellow nid-heads... If you had 18 of the awful, 1st edition Tyranid Warriors, what would you do with them? I have 12 that are unpainted and unassembled, and I am thinking of converting them (tastefully, of course) into Hive Guard or Venomthropes.

Tynskel
01-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Friendly models from Codex: Tyranids only.

I'm pretty sure the bunker counts as Tyranids. Someone better back up this statement.

Aegwymourn
01-14-2014, 01:13 PM
I like the book myself. I think they broke the monotony of the last codex's only power build by giving us a few new things to play with... We have useable Carnifexes now! My Screamer-Killers are happy to hit the table again.

I have a question for my fellow nid-heads... If you had 18 of the awful, 1st edition Tyranid Warriors, what would you do with them? I have 12 that are unpainted and unassembled, and I am thinking of converting them (tastefully, of course) into Hive Guard or Venomthropes.

I would clearly mail them to me :p

Tynskel
01-14-2014, 02:32 PM

You would send them to me. I'll use 'em because I love the old models.

Angelofblades
01-14-2014, 02:36 PM
I'm pretty sure the bunker counts as Tyranids. Someone better back up this statement.

I think there's difficulty in that since the bunker is not found in Codex: Tyranids...

Tynskel
01-14-2014, 02:44 PM
yeah, but I think someone needs to check and find out whether or not the Fortification counts as coming from your codex.

Chexmix282
01-14-2014, 03:06 PM
I would clearly mail them to me :p

You would send them to me. I'll use 'em because I love the old models.

Not gonna happen, unless you have some 2nd ed Termagants to trade ;)

And just to clarify; I DO really like these models, but I can't take 18 Tyranid Warriors in an army list. I'm trying to think of ways to tastefully convert them so my 2nd ed army can have access to the newer unit without having them look very out of place.

Anggul
01-14-2014, 03:08 PM

Agreed, I love Carnifexes being back in business.

As for the Warriors... feed them to your new pretties.

Tynskel
01-14-2014, 08:05 PM
I'd say... Make a warrior list for smaller games. See what happens.

Chexmix282
01-15-2014, 11:50 AM
What about an army centered around 9 Warriors each with Boneswords, Adrenal Glands, and Flesh Hooks? Only 486 points... -_-

They can outflank if I take a Hive Tyrant, but I'm not sure if I want 50% of my army in reserve, or even tied into a single unit. Maybe something like this:

HQ
Deathleaper 130

Elites
2 Hive Guard 110
2 Hive Guard 110
2 Lictors 100

Troops
5 Warriors 220
-Rending Claws, Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Flesh Hooks

3 Warriors 110
-Scything Talons, 2 Deathspitters, 1 Venom Cannon

3 Warriors 110

3 Warriors 110

TOTAL: 1,000

What do you guys think of this list? It's not super competitive, but I think it could hold its own. I really like Deathleaper and the Lictors for disruption. Plus the 2nd ed Lictors are awesome models :P

Esseldal
01-16-2014, 08:49 AM
EDIT: This is a comment to something on page 1 of the thread; I had no idea it would kick the post to the end where it didn't really make sense with the conversation anymore. Guess that's what you get from someone who doesn't post on forums much!

Sadly, the fluff is getting missed because we're all so disappointed with the army list, but it is the best part of the Codex (always my favorite part anyway, but in this book the difference between the well-written fluff and ho-hum army list really stands out).

Worth a read, though. It's quite good!

Too bad they somehow revised the fluff really well and yet missed the fact that genestealers needed assault grenades and Trygon holes needed to be more reliable...

Tynskel
01-16-2014, 09:26 AM
What about an army centered around 9 Warriors each with Boneswords, Adrenal Glands, and Flesh Hooks? Only 486 points... -_-

They can outflank if I take a Hive Tyrant, but I'm not sure if I want 50% of my army in reserve, or even tied into a single unit. Maybe something like this:

HQ
Deathleaper 130

Elites
2 Hive Guard 110
2 Hive Guard 110
2 Lictors 100

Troops
5 Warriors 220
-Rending Claws, Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Flesh Hooks

3 Warriors 110

3 Warriors 110

3 Warriors 110

TOTAL: 1,000

What do you guys think of this list? It's not super competitive, but I think it could hold its own. I really like Deathleaper and the Lictors for disruption. Plus the 2nd ed Lictors are awesome models :P

Switch to barbed stranglers. You have the hive guard for high str. Ow you need to make sure you can kill enough little guys.

Chexmix282
01-17-2014, 11:22 AM
I like the idea of Barbed Stranglers on the Warriors. Here's my new 1,750 list, which I think is a definite improvement over the first version on page one:

HQ
Hive Tyrant 225
-Heavy Venom Cannon, Bonesword & Lashwhip, Hive Commander

Deathleaper 130

Elites
3 Hive Guard 165
3 Hive Guard 165

Troops
Tervigon 195

30 Termagants 120

3 Warriors 100
-Barbed Strangler
3 Warriors 100
-Barbed Strangler

Fast Attack
Hive Crone 155

6 Spore Mines 30

Heavy Support
Carnifex 140
Carnifex 140
Carnifex 140

Total: 1,750

chicop76
01-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Looking at your list gives my ideals for a Lictor/ Genestealer list. Would be cool to have Ravengers, Trygons, and Mawlocks in such a list as well.

Chexmix282
01-17-2014, 02:26 PM
Looking at your list gives my ideals for a Lictor/ Genestealer list. Would be cool to have Ravengers, Trygons, and Mawlocks in such a list as well.

I've been thinking of this as well. I wish Genestealers would get something to make them more useful, though. It seems like the only thing they are good at is dying, lol.

I LOVE the new rules for Lictor and Deathleaper though. There will be some great combos coming.

AlmostMercury
01-18-2014, 08:21 PM

"Spore Cloud: All friendly models from Codex: Tyranids that are within 6" of at least one Venomthrope have the Shrouded special rule." p.47

The bunker is not from Codex: Tyranids, so it does not receive Shrouded.