PDA

View Full Version : BoLS Lounge Mini Exchange

Denzark
12-16-2009, 05:33 AM
Hey guys

One thing occurs to me is that I would love to see a BoLS Exchange facility to trade minis. After a good few months of being entertained/inspired/argumentative and grumpy, I know which personalities I would happily trade with.

I know we have the oubliette for non specific threads but very rarely do people venture in, and I would feel like a waster flogging my wares here in general discussion.

Anyone else thinks there would be a good market here - I know one poster is hawking for Iron hands in his signature but thought I would poll it to see if there was sufficient public opinion maybe the Fly Lords would stick an extra line in - people could deal in PMs and payPal.

PS I mean jsut wargames tat not these mobile phone hawkers....

Cryl
12-16-2009, 05:36 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me. Tricky to police and the BoLS team would need to disclaimer it to high heaven in todays world but it could work with some sort of "good transaction" type counter in profiles maybe?

Col.Gravis
12-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Most of the larger forums manage it, no technical reason it could'nt be done here really unless it's merely a hassel for the guys to police it - which would be perfectly understandable to be honest.

Brass Scorpion
12-16-2009, 09:21 AM
I've been thinking this forum needed a section like the "Dakka Swap Shop" or Work In Progress "for sale or trade" section for some time. I've been trading and advertising my auctions on those two forums for months now, but could never find an appropriate place to do so here on the Lounge. I'd like to see a For Sale Or Trade area here too.

As long as we're on the topic, you can see what I have on eBay at any time at this link (http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1). Some of the auction items are posted by my spouse so there's a variety of stuff up there along with the Warhammer items.

Denzark
12-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Dark Mechanic bring the bounty of the Fly Lords! A secret niche on this site - My Missus knows when I am buying the plastic crack off ebay but it would be a new secret avenue of goodies....!

Duke
12-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Dark Mechanic bring the bounty of the Fly Lords! A secret niche on this site - My Missus knows when I am buying the plastic crack off ebay but it would be a new secret avenue of goodies....!

lol, another way to buy without the wife knowing. Good stuff Denzark.

Personally I would like to have a trade/ sale area. Would you allow painting services? Or just buying minis?

Duke

fuzzbuket
12-16-2009, 10:34 AM
you could see the painters work on here if you were buying:D

Duke
12-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Yea, cause I would like to try to sell my freehand painting services...

Duke

Aenir
12-16-2009, 10:54 AM
I would be interested in this, I have Orcs and Goblins and Empire Guys clogging up my space :D

Just_Me
12-16-2009, 11:24 AM
I think it's a great idea. I would open the door to getting some of the more obscure minis that are only available in full kits now that GW discontinued the mail order bits system (I thought they promised us we would get that back too, the current selection is a bit sparse...).

Magos
12-16-2009, 11:40 AM
considering how much I support looking for discounts, I would be a big fan of this

Denzark
12-16-2009, 12:08 PM
lol, another way to buy without the wife knowing. Good stuff Denzark.

Personally I would like to have a trade/ sale area. Would you allow painting services? Or just buying minis?

Duke

Ha! Personally I would allow anything wargaming including carry cases, terrain, and army painting services - although I would limit it to individuals let the companies stick to links on the site to make revenue for the Fly Lords. I would also have sales and wants so people can shout out for long lost stuff. I would also have bitz. i would even allow your bloody jacks of doom, or iron dreadnought kingdoms (yes I know its warmachine) - just don't tell the Inquisition I am going soft in my old age.

Melissia
12-16-2009, 12:14 PM
To be honest, I'm just too private a person to exchange information with some random schmuck on the internet in order to have htem ship me something. I'll stick to GW and bargain websites. Still, there seems to be an overwhelming majority of people who are into it, so go for it.

Brass Scorpion
12-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Yes, you need to be careful when doing exchanges on the Internet. When I've done exchanges, and I've only done it twice with one person, I still used PayPal for the protection of both parties. I mostly use trade forums for looking for and advertising eBay listings. Setting up trades with people locally is also potentially useful.

Just_Me
12-16-2009, 03:01 PM
To be honest, I'm just too private a person to exchange information with some random schmuck on the internet in order to have htem ship me something. I'll stick to GW and bargain websites. Still, there seems to be an overwhelming majority of people who are into it, so go for it.

I can certainly understand that, as I am similarly reluctant to share personal specifics freely over the inter-webs. Without the dedicated oversight of something like ebay there would certainly be risk involved (hell, there is plenty of risk involved on ebay... :p). The risk might be seen to be mitigated by being able to trade with people you "know" through their conduct on the boards, but seeing as how "internet personalities" don't necessarily have anything to do with what someone is actually like I wouldn't really trust that logic (my own is fairly accurate, which is disturbing in it's own way; half the time I actually talk like my posts :D).

As I said before, what appeals to me about this idea is not trading willy-nilly to get bargains, but the fact that it could be a resource for specific bits that might otherwise be impossible to get one's hands on. I'm sure many of us have really odd bits laying around that we aren't using and that might be perfect for someone else's project.

Aldramelech
12-16-2009, 03:55 PM
I can certainly understand that, as I am similarly reluctant to share personal specifics freely over the inter-webs. Without the dedicated oversight of something like ebay there would certainly be risk involved (hell, there is plenty of risk involved on ebay... :p). The risk might be seen to be mitigated by being able to trade with people you "know" through their conduct on the boards, but seeing as how "internet personalities" don't necessarily have anything to do with what someone is actually like I wouldn't really trust that logic (my own is fairly accurate, which is disturbing in it's own way; half the time I actually talk like my posts :D).

As I said before, what appeals to me about this idea is not trading willy-nilly to get bargains, but the fact that it could be a resource for specific bits that might otherwise be impossible to get one's hands on. I'm sure many of us have really odd bits laying around that we aren't using and that might be perfect for someone else's project.

I tried a swap thread for bits already early on this year. Aldramelechs Multi Coloured Swap Shop. It didnt really take off:(

Subject Keyword
12-16-2009, 03:57 PM
the plastic crack

I just changed the way I refer to models... Forever...

Melissia
12-16-2009, 04:05 PM
seeing as how "internet personalities" don't necessarily have anything to do with what someone is actually like I wouldn't really trust that logic

Oh yeah. My net personality is very different from how I am IRL. Which also means that I am very, very unwilling to meet anyone in person that I know online that I didn't know offline first.

Denzark
12-16-2009, 04:22 PM
OK we know the dangers of internet trickery, and Mr Ugala Bugala from Uganda telling you that you have just been left $8000000 by a long lost relative but need to send him $1000 for an administration fee.

But I'm thinking if there was a an Exchange tab - subheadings - sales, wants, services, good traders, bad traders.

Now between M'Lord Legbreaker and the chaps (banning someone who did enough bad deals, we can all reveal their IP address and send them an email bomb or some anarchist cookbook stuff), the ability to warn off the whole forum in the bad traders sub heading if so and so becomes a thieving bandit, and PayPal with it's own seller protection, it could be worth a squirt.

Poll at 93%+ positive!

Just_Me
12-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Oh yeah. My net personality is very different from how I am IRL. Which also means that I am very, very unwilling to meet anyone in person that I know online that I didn't know offline first.

100% in agreement with you there. Although my morbid sense of curiosity does sometimes make me wonder what it would be like to meet some web-acquaintances in RL :p.

Now between M'Lord Legbreaker and the chaps (banning someone who did enough bad deals, we can all reveal their IP address and send them an email bomb or some anarchist cookbook stuff), the ability to warn off the whole forum in the bad traders sub heading if so and so becomes a thieving bandit, and PayPal with it's own seller protection, it could be worth a squirt.

The problem there is that it would add a whole new set of responsibilities and work for the mods, and most of them probably don't want or need that in their lives. The best solution might be a sub-forum dedicated to trading with the disclaimer that any transactions there are at your own risk and BoLS is simply hosting the forum as a courtesy and is in no way responsible for any bad experiences.

Aldramelech
12-16-2009, 05:01 PM

Bet your shorter in the flesh! lol

Lord Azaghul
12-16-2009, 05:14 PM
I wouldn’t really support this. And its mainly the ‘giving something to an anonymis stranger’ thing that’s a bit of a turn off.
I’ve only done 1 non-paypale trade, and it was sucessful (it was on bugmansbrewery) with an person I’d chatted with for well over a year. But any time I do an exchange I prefer paypal, or just to buy from a store.

Denzark
12-16-2009, 06:05 PM
I wouldn’t really support this. And its mainly the ‘giving something to an anonymis stranger’ thing that’s a bit of a turn off.
I’ve only done 1 non-paypale trade, and it was sucessful (it was on bugmansbrewery) with an person I’d chatted with for well over a year. But any time I do an exchange I prefer paypal, or just to buy from a store.

fella right from OP I said PMs and paypal as in the main I would find it hard to quantify non money transactions - my last swap I gave my mucker a long hoarded Sgt Centurius in return for 4 metal Wulfen not sure that is a good deal on going rates...

therealjohnny5
12-16-2009, 06:45 PM

Well the problem you have IRL is that your online aura is seven feet tall and wields twin flamers, and kicks chuck norris in the face, i mean come on, no one can live up to that status. But somehow we all believe it about you....me on the other hand, i'm pretty much the same everywhere i go. i think too much, play with little men, and like to make people tap...I'm at peace with my inner theologian\ nerd\ fighter

As to the trading, i think it's a great idea. i don't know many forums that don't have a B\S\T thread...it's hugely helpful, but with GW's iron gauntlet-esque PR policies, i can see if the BoLS boys would be hesitant to throw that up on the board...sadly...

therealjohnny5
12-16-2009, 06:49 PM
see what the heck is up with my internet? Double post? Again?...curse you Time Warner....

Darkwynn
12-16-2009, 09:23 PM
I will talk to the group and see what they think about it .

There is a lot to consider about hosting one of these things and if we did it as a group it would be one of those hands off we hold no responsibility between two parties.

Denzark
12-17-2009, 01:53 AM
Think this would be good M. le Darkwynn - obviously the saying caveat emptor would apply, not musca domestica domino emptor.

A 'site holds no responsibility' type effect.

Just_Me
12-17-2009, 11:11 AM
There is a lot to consider about hosting one of these things and if we did it as a group it would be one of those hands off we hold no responsibility between two parties.

I think that is the most reasonable and workable system, sort of a giant "Caveat emptor," "trade at your own risk" thing...