PDA

View Full Version : Bio-Artefacts

Tynskel
01-12-2014, 01:49 PM
The Hive Tyrant, Tyranid Prime, and Tervigon may take the Bio-Artefacts.

Giving a Tervigon an artifact might be interesting.
Like the Norn Crown and taking Dominion Pyschic power. Or taking the Miasma Cannon. The Reaper of Obliterax is probably a bit much on the price for a tervigon, however, I5 on a Tervigon could be worthwhile, especially since you also gain the possibility of Instant Death. Not to mention I5 allows the Tervigon to go toe to toe with Dreadnoughts.

Like most of the 'best' Artifacts in the 6th Edition, the 'super' weapon is on the high price tag side.

Kayvaan28
01-12-2014, 02:57 PM
You forgot the Trygon Prime.

The miasmacanon could come in handy.

kublade
01-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Trygon Primes may take Bio-Artefacts as well.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
01-12-2014, 03:31 PM
I like Norn Crown with Dominion and rolling the number 3 warlord trait.

Well, I'll just Synapse 30" then.

Sean Blackburn
01-12-2014, 03:32 PM
For the cost of a minimum squad of gants, you gain 6" of Synapse? Yeah, no thanks. It's not that difficult to spread control range over the map, and Dominion can be a freebie if you need it. Since they upped the Tervigon's points by so much, simply adding regeneration to it should suffice. Save the Dreadnought fighting (do people even field those anymore?) to the Impaler Cannons / Zoanthropes, and camp that Tervigon on an objective w/ proper screening.

DarkLink
01-12-2014, 03:35 PM
The crown is massively overpriced. So is the ymgarl factor and the sword. Just take regular lashwhip bonesword with adrenal glands and the like if you feel the need. The gun is decent, but I'm pretty sure that everything that can take it has access to better guns. So, not really worth it.

Tyrendian
01-12-2014, 03:38 PM
I did consider putting the MawClaws (awesome name btw...) on a Trygon Prime, since it doesnīt give up any kind of valuable weapon (Sighing Talons...) and it really doesnīt cost much... Rending might just be useful when meleeing Dreadnoughts (too lazy to do the maths right now...), and Preferred Enemy after killing something isnīt all that bad either for the price tag... what do you think?

daboarder
01-12-2014, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't run any artifacts on a tervigon, they are already to expensive to really be run as anything but tough scoring, making them more expensive just for a small blast poison shot and a template or a +6 synapse (when dominion is primaris) is ridiculous.

Bout the only artefacts I like are the miasma cannon on a prime for a cheaper gun (thats not really cheaper anymore) or sometimes the reaper on a tyrant with adglands for S8 on the charge (but I still think the toxsac+BSLW is better for 15 pts less)

I like Norn Crown with Dominion and rolling the number 3 warlord trait.

Well, I'll just Synapse 30" then.

Nah, this turns your unit into a lynchpin, you want your synapse units to bbe as spread out and cheap/tough as possible for their points, sticking expensive biomorphs on them just means that there is less to distract your opponent from focusing on your synapse creatures.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
01-12-2014, 04:09 PM
Funnily enough, the name of the trait!

I like 30" of cover from one model (who is protected to the max!), means all my Warriors and Zoanthropes can move unharrassed.

Sly
01-12-2014, 04:13 PM
I agree with daboarder, do not overinvest into a single Synapse point. The Norn crown is a trap!

I would consider the miasma cannon on a Tervigon, because it allows me to keep a scoring unit far back, where I would like to keep it, and still get some offensive use out of it. I'm not sure it's worth the points, but at least it's a good concept to put a longer-range gun on a rear scoring unit that doesn't plan on advancing far. But only if my HS slots are filled, because you're better off buying more Biovores for long-range fire support until you run out of HS slots.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
01-12-2014, 04:19 PM
You guys aren't getting this... I have more than one synapse unit, just that one of them covers a lot of area....

DarkLink
01-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Still massively overpriced. And it does nothing to prevent your opponent from shooting it to death first. The key to synapse is quantity, not quality. Quality gets you nothing except a vulnerability to having it shot to pieces and then tabling yourself via Instinctual Behavior. Get as much synapse as you can for as cheap as you can.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
01-12-2014, 04:38 PM
I really wanted Tyrant Guard though. >.<

daboarder
01-12-2014, 05:56 PM
I agree with daboarder, do not overinvest into a single Synapse point. The Norn crown is a trap!

I would consider the miasma cannon on a Tervigon, because it allows me to keep a scoring unit far back, where I would like to keep it, and still get some offensive use out of it. I'm not sure it's worth the points, but at least it's a good concept to put a longer-range gun on a rear scoring unit that doesn't plan on advancing far. But only if my HS slots are filled, because you're better off buying more Biovores for long-range fire support until you run out of HS slots.

See the miasma cannon is really best used as a flamer with some range utillity.

Baring WK's and WL's every unit it the game is already wounded on a 2+ by the regular HVC for 5 points less, plus the regular cannon can now hurt tanks. And even the knight and lord will shrug it off with their 3+ sv.

Ultimately I think thats why I don't really like the Miasma cannon either except maybe on a prime, for an extra 5 points you can buy the regular venom cannon and one of the thorax swarms giving you roughly the same anti infantry utillity but with the added benefit of anti-tank.

I know a tervigon can't get the regular HVC but I don't think a single small blast Ap4 poison weapon is much fire support, use your tervigons agressively, spend the points you would on the MC to get adglands and a thorax weapon if you want it, otherwise just use your spawn units and dominion to keep your backfield in line.

I really wanted Tyrant Guard though. >.<

So did I but I don't think I can justify the 300 pt price tag for a tyrant with gear and 2 guards.

though I think I can save about 30-40 pts on that set up buy doing a stranglethorn tyrant instead of a VC, LWBS one....but then why not just take a pair of carnies.....sigh

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
01-12-2014, 10:33 PM
I already have the Carnies in my list? xD

Tynskel
01-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't say the guard are not worth it.
The Guard are totally worth it. you are talking about 300 points, and for me, in the past I usually paid 400 points for Guard and Tyrant. SO, that's a discount.

Tynskel
01-13-2014, 09:38 AM
See the miasma cannon is really best used as a flamer with some range utillity.

Baring WK's and WL's every unit it the game is already wounded on a 2+ by the regular HVC for 5 points less, plus the regular cannon can now hurt tanks. And even the knight and lord will shrug it off with their 3+ sv.

You cannot take Hvy Venom Cannons on Tervigons.

Tynskel
01-13-2014, 09:50 AM
Hmmmm... I totally missed that the Trygon Prime can take the Bio-Artefacts.

Hmmmm... that's interesting. The Super Weapon *might* be worth while on a Trygon. Simply for the +3 Initiative. The other stuff is just icing on the cake. The +3 Initiative means that the Trygon can go up against just about anything.

daboarder
01-13-2014, 03:08 PM
You cannot take Hvy Venom Cannons on Tervigons.

I know a tervigon can't get the regular HVC but I don't think a single small blast Ap4 poison weapon is much fire support, use your tervigons agressively, spend the points you would on the MC to get adglands and a thorax weapon if you want it, otherwise just use your spawn units and dominion to keep your backfield in line.

If your gonna jump on something Tynskel you might want to read the rest of what they posted first, you know, just in case they addressed it already.

Tynskel
01-13-2014, 03:17 PM
If your gonna jump on something Tynskel you might want to read the rest of what they posted first, you know, just in case they addressed it already.

You still don't get it. You said 'back line'. Aka, shooting far away: whyyyyyy would you give them a template weapon?

daboarder
01-13-2014, 03:51 PM

There is no real reason to use your tervigons as a back line objective camper, why wast 200 pts witting on an objective for 5 tursn when you only need to be on it for the last one? Get it there and throw you weight arounf or put yourself in a position to be sitting on mid field objectives turn 5.

Furthermore, do you really think a single Ap4 small blast is a significant "fire support" for 220pts? really? you think that's worth it? I don't.

So spawn you gants, move your tervigon forwards and pop dominion increasing your synapse coverage by 50% to keep them in line.

Tynskel
01-13-2014, 04:24 PM
you can still do all of that, and fire a midranged gun. it is for 25 points. Yes, I think it is worthwhile on a creature that has no real long range guns that can consistently wound, that is generally not supposed to be in CC, unless necessary.

DarkLink
01-13-2014, 08:21 PM
I just don't think the Tervigon is really worth it at all. Just take 50 gaunts instead. Unless you really need the synapse, but I think there are better ways to get it.

Akaiyou
01-13-2014, 09:44 PM
These tyranid Artefacts are nothing but cheese on a board

Broodingman87
01-14-2014, 03:38 AM
These tyranid Artefacts are nothing but cheese on a board

Except for Norn Crown, that's a Warrior and a Barbed Strangler. I'll take the Warrior.

daboarder
01-14-2014, 03:42 AM
Or most of a venomthrope or zoanthrope

and not to mention the reaper, which is also redundant

Broodingman87
01-14-2014, 03:49 AM
and not to mention the reaper, which is also redundant

I don't know if I agree with that. I think putting the reaper on a Trygon would be cool, S7 I7 re-rolls to wound and causes ID. I mean, with 6 attacks you're bound to get one ID.

daboarder
01-14-2014, 03:55 AM
yeah but personally your then spending close to 300 pts....thats a lot.

still I think its weird that most of the relics seem to work better on the trygon than anything else.

chicop76
01-14-2014, 04:08 AM
yeah but personally your then spending close to 300 pts....thats a lot.

still I think its weird that most of the relics seem to work better on the trygon than anything else.

I am thinking the poison flamers may be nice for a winged tyrant, especially if it can have two poison flame weapons. I am not sure since I still don't have codex.

The Trigon would be nice since you can deep strike and flame, killing dem pathfinders or possibly killing an Ethereal.

I am hoping for a decent amount of outflank or deep striking from this dex.

Also I am feeling not taking Tervigons. If they cost more and gaunts less it may be worth taking just gaunts. Only thing that might make me take a tervigon if it have the poison and leadership aura with counter strike still. I mean 30 points for poison to a 30 man gaunt squad is an improvement or getting 6 more gaunts when compared to old gaunt costing.

daboarder
01-14-2014, 04:15 AM
hmmm yes yes it could do that and drop 2 templates on a unit....thats not bad, I dont know if its 35 pts good, but its not bad.

On a naked winged tyrant however, you could do some mean things with that.

Broodingman87
01-14-2014, 04:17 AM

That's because the Trygon is such a beast, a monster, a murder already. I mean really he's a Gargantuan Creature that was given better stats and put in for regular games.

The way I see it, I'd give the Maw-claws to the Tervigon and put it in midfield, a Winged Slayer Tyrant should get Ymgarl and be frontline heavy support, Prime should get Miasma and be rear guard (controlling and protecting the artilary of your chioce), and Trygon should get the Reaper and on challege duty.