PDA

View Full Version : Tyrant and Guard

Chaos Companion
01-12-2014, 02:32 AM
So am I missing something, or can Tyrants now leave a squad of Guard and go about his merry way if he wants? The special rules seem to insinuate their is a situation where he is not joined to the squad. Just something that caught my eye, and wanted to see what the community consensus was. Could be useful to keep a Flyrant alive for a few turns then just glide out and assault in turn 3; if any Guard are alive they can assault something else.

kublade
01-12-2014, 02:56 AM
It is written the same as 5th edition pretty much, but 5th had an FAQ stating that once a Hive Tyrant/Swarmlord joins a unit of tyrant guard, he can not leave for any reason. However, do note that the rule states they may join as if an independent character, but says nothing about leaving as an independent character. So I personally see an FAQ coming up pretty soon, as we still have the same issues as the last codex, and GW failed to clarify some new rules. So my guess is, as written, "You may join as if you are an independent character, but you are then a character, and unable to leave.

daboarder
01-12-2014, 03:12 AM
The IC rules allow you to leave in and of themselves, so if he acts as an IC when joining the squad then yes he can leave the tyrant guard

Chaos Companion
01-12-2014, 03:17 AM
Yeah not sure if it was intended but it seems like as written right now they can freely join/leave. Any more thoughts from others would be great on the subject

kublade
01-12-2014, 03:59 AM
Use that tactic freely till we receive a copy/paste FAQ of the last one saying the same thing as before.

Edit: And if this was not the intended purpose for the rule, then it truly shows how lazy GW was when making this codex, as they copy and pasted the same rule, and if they FAQ it again, then they didn't even check the FAQ to see if there had been conflicts with these rules before.

Mr Mystery
01-12-2014, 08:41 AM
Tyrant may join in the same way as an IC, but doesn't then become an IC.

As such, no leaving the unit.

daboarder
01-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Are you suggesting mystery that he would not get LoS!? Because thats not right. Its another case of counts as is. The tyrant is an IC with a guard unit for all inte I ts and purposes until eratta says otherwise.

We CANNOT use the old faq as precedence for anything in this codex

Gumbledore23
01-12-2014, 03:34 PM
doesn't it say in the codex that hive tyrants in the tyrant guard automatically pass look out sir tests if inside? so that would pressume that it is counted as a character for that purpose, to me anyways.

daboarder
01-12-2014, 03:56 PM
it does, that was the point I was making.

The tyrant joins and acts as an IC character with a unit of tyrant guard, that is for all intents and purposes, including leaving the unit.

Gumbledore23
01-12-2014, 04:53 PM
ah got ya.

am liking the idea of 3 tyrant guards with out the tyrant running around, seems pretty solid with the base stats on them.

daboarder
01-12-2014, 05:51 PM
very pricey, though not as unbelievably slow as it once was, thats for sure.