PDA

View Full Version : Rulebook not to hand - Quick Shrouded/Stealth question.

Mr Mystery
01-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Hiya.

As per title.

I have a unit being shot at, which is legally* obscured by another of my units. It also benefits from Shrouding or Stealth.

Does the intervening unit cover save stack with the bonus from being Shrouded or Stealth?

Because if so, Venomthropes just got really good!

Nabterayl
01-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Indeed it does. Both Stealth and Shrouded say that a unit with at least one model that has Stealth/Shrouded "counts its cover saves as being [1][2] points better than normal." It doesn't refer to cover saves from being in cover, or any other source - you only need to ask, "Is this a cover save?" All of the unit's cover saves are improved by Stealth and Shrouded.

Mr Mystery
01-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Nice.....very nice!

Get your Gaunts, form a defensive circle, laugh!

And thank you very much Nab, you lovely person you!

Nabterayl
01-10-2014, 10:34 AM
I might have missed something in the tyranid threads, but are venomthropes something you can now attach to a unit?

Mr Mystery
01-10-2014, 10:36 AM
Dunno. I think they're Character, but not Indy Character. So once bought can fart about on their own, but not officially join units.

Which actually has it's uses. You want to charge it, you have to charge it. Otherwise it just sort of looks on in mild bemusement as you pile into it's bodyguard swarm, before sort of gently wafting away!

Nabterayl
01-10-2014, 10:46 AM
I guess what I should have asked is whether the venomthrope can confer Stealth and/or Shrouded to other units.

Tynskel
01-10-2014, 10:56 AM
I guess what I should have asked is whether the venomthrope can confer Stealth and/or Shrouded to other units.

rumor has it that every unit within 6" of the Venomthrope gains shrouded.

Megad00mer
01-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Yes, any friendly model within 6" gains Shrouded. And remember, if one model in a unit gain's Shrouded, the entire unit benefits.

Venomthropes can't join other units though sadly, but keep them behind another unit, and they'll at least benefit from a decent 4+ cover. Tau will laugh at you, but hey...they laugh at most things these days.

Mr Mystery
01-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Yes, any friendly model within 6" gains Shrouded. And remember, if one model in a unit gain's Shrouded, the entire unit benefits.

Venomthropes can't join other units though sadly, but keep them behind another unit, and they'll at least benefit from a decent 4+ cover. Tau will laugh at you, but hey...they laugh at most things these days.

Dunno man. Forces focused use of the old marker lights, which is no bad thing!

Browntj007
01-10-2014, 11:15 AM

And with the ability to continually produce more marker light fodder from mama bugs...good times indeed.

Megad00mer
01-10-2014, 11:45 AM

Didn't think of it that way. Glass half full!

Quaade
01-10-2014, 12:51 PM
And for everyone else it creates a Sophie's Choice in what to shoot.

Imagine this scenario.

In the front you have a billion hormogaunts

Behind the hormogaunts to the left a brood of warriors with various weapons keeping things in check.

Behind the hormogaunts to the left a brood of 3 carnies armed with death.

In the middle of all 3, venomthropes.

Now what do you shoot?

The gaunts with 5+ cover save that will flush you in a turn if you don't think the ranks, letting the carnies, warriors and thropes escape the brunt of shooting?

The venomthropes with a 3+ cover save, allowing the gaunts to tie up your army the next turn, slowly getting chopped to bits untill the carnies and warriors gets in.

The warriors with 3+ cover save, hoping you can kill them all and force some Instinctive behavior, knowing that if you don't kill them all you're ****ed, which you might be anyway since the gaunts on IB might just run up and eat your face anyway.

The juggernaut wall of carnifexes bearing down on your lines, hoping to take some of them out and praying you can survive the gaunts and warriors?

There's no right choice, which is awesome, except if you're playing against it, so I hope all the nid players will conform to their old lists because they think everything sucks ^^